Would this apply to a Catholic nun?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Georgia judge jails Muslim woman for wearing headscarf to court | Law | The Guardian

Interesting question: would the judge order a nun to remove her head covering?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Church has lifted the use of head covering...I have been away from the church properly longer then I should, But I don't remember anyone from a Nun to a member of the church wearing head dress that prohibits anyone from identifying them. As far as your explample I would say the judge went to far with the picture in the foreground.. The image in the background prohibits someone from being Identified and I just may agree with that judge.. As far as Ragman's example or story, yeah the judge went to far...I could care less what you wear in your church, but once you hit the public, I just may have issues with hidding your face..
(My opinion and we all know what's that worth)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's not about what the church requires, it's about "religious beliefs" and practices. Many nuns no longer wear habits, but others do, and consider it important. Would a judge order them to remove it? I don't think so.
Even the title says "headscarf" - the hijab doesn't cover the face, or obscure identity. To the judge, it's about respect, like removing a hat to pledge allegiance, and most judges are sticklers for being respected in their courtrooms.
Still, I'd like to see some spirited [and principled] nun show up in a wimple, and see if the judge orders her to remove it.
Another example of how freedom of religion and the supremacy of religious beliefs takes a back seat when the religion isn't one's own.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I could care less of your religion or if you pray to the porcelain gods.
I see a big difference in all 3 of the head dress shown below... And only have a problem with one of them.. And it has nothing to do with who her god is... I guess it may lean towards security or maybe even if it came down to me putting a bullets in her,, I wanna see her face.. Wear what ya want at home or in church, but today and in public identifying someone is becoming more and more important in the world we are now living in..

Attachments

• 1425319924093.jpg
    1425319924093.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 1425319943971.jpg
    1425319943971.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 18

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If she had covered her face, I'd totally agree, but the hijab covers less than a nun's wimple. I get the judge's demand that people respect his rules in his courtroom, but I really wonder if he would apply the same rules to a wimple as to a hijab.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
If she had covered her face, I'd totally agree, but the hijab covers less than a nun's wimple. I get the judge's demand that people respect his rules in his courtroom, but I really wonder if he would apply the same rules to a wimple as to a hijab.

I think that's what I was getting at..
Just one more thing, I don't know what a hijab is..My circle calls em scarfs. :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Until recently, I didn't know the correct name, either, lol. A hijab is just a headscarf, covering the hair. The whole body & face covering is a burka, and I can't find wearing them reasonable in any way at all.
But then, I could say the same about men's ties, too - are guys ashamed of their shirt buttons, or what? :p

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If they require everyone to remove their hats then allowing a muslim woman to wear her scarf would interfere with separation of church and state.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Oh Lord ... :rolleyes:

Think about it. It's a religious symbol and giving preferential treatment to allow that religious display is no different than allowing the 10 Commandments displayed. I'm surprised, I thought you would be against the government and religion mixing.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If they require everyone to remove their hats then allowing a muslim woman to wear her scarf would interfere with separation of church and state.

So you're saying a nun should be required to remove her wimple [head covering] also?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So you're saying a nun should be required to remove her wimple [head covering] also?

I would say if we are going with the rigid interpretation that separation of church and state means that local governments aren't allowed to have various holiday decorations displayed that it also means a nun or Jewish person should be required to remove their wimple and yamaka as well. It needs to be a zero tolerance policy for exceptions under the current interpretation.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It isn't "separation of church and state" it's "Congress shall establish no religion". "Separation of church and state" is the talking point used by those who want to strip religion from society. There is no need for anyone to remove a wimple or yarmulke or hijab which 50 years ago was worn by a huge number of American women and called a scarf before anyone knew it had another name. Burkas are a different, much grayer area.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Separation of church and state" is also the legal talking point the Supreme Court used to keep church and state separate.

Religion's obsession with headgear:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Think about it. It's a religious symbol and giving preferential treatment to allow that religious display is no different than allowing the 10 Commandments displayed. I'm surprised, I thought you would be against the government and religion mixing.
I am ... the problem is that you missed the larger point:

The government shouldn't be dictating to anyone the manner of their dress ... particularly when it is religiously proscribed.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It isn't "separation of church and state" it's "Congress shall establish no religion". "Separation of church and state" is the talking point used by those who want to strip religion from society. There is no need for anyone to remove a wimple or yarmulke or hijab which 50 years ago was worn by a huge number of American women and called a scarf before anyone knew it had another name. Burkas are a different, much grayer area.
Well said my friend, well said!

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I'd be curious to hear the logic behind "Burkas are a different, much grayer area."

If the case for removal is being made for identification reasons for access to some government venue like court ... then it should be possible to have the party temporarily remove it in a manner which is the least objectionable (in private, in the presence of a female security officer) ... and then allow them to put it back on after they have been granted access to the venue and are in the presence of the general public.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I completely agree with the fact that the interpretation of separation of church and state is incorrect. My point is that if we are going to use that interpretation then we need a zero tolerance policy. I really wouldn't care personally if someone was wearing a head scarf or yamaka because religion plays such a large role in every day life.