WOULD LIKE TO GET INTO EXPEDITEING

53maggie

Expert Expediter
maggie I've been reading alot of the fourms for a couple of weeks now , so here goes my frist qustion. If you want to get in-to expediteing & you don't have any experence driving a truck , how do you get the experiance? My husband is going to buy a truck, but i would like to frist work with someone, befor he does something like that. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS A COMPANY TRUCK YOU CAN WORK FOR & TRAIN WITH SOMEONE HOW TO DO EXPEDITING? THANK-YOU:)

bigh73

Expert Expediter
Just post an ad in the classified section stating what you are looking for. There are many who looking for a team mate and some of those are the actual owners. Also you may want to go ahead and get your cdl b with hazmat before gettting with someone.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>maggie I've been reading alot of the fourms for a
>couple of weeks now , so here goes my frist qustion. If you
>want to get in-to expediteing & you don't have any
>experence driving a truck , how do you get the experiance?
>My husband is going to buy a truck, but i would like to
>frist work with someone, befor he does something like that.
>IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS A COMPANY TRUCK YOU CAN
>WORK FOR & TRAIN WITH SOMEONE HOW TO DO EXPEDITING?
>THANK-YOU:)

Perhaps our story (wife and me) will be of help. We also had no truck driving experience before getting into expediting. We got the free CDL maunal from the state and studied from it for our written license and license endorsement tests. We wanted to drive a straght truck so a Class B license would suffice. Class A licenses are required for a tractor/trailer and are more difficult to obtain.

When we passed our written tests, we gained the permit to drive a commercial vehicle, as long as a fully-licensed driver was present too. That meant little to us since we had no access to a truck.

To prepare for our road tests, we rented the largest Budget Rental truck we could find. They don't rent trucks with air brakes but we were able to practice driving it around for a day anyway. We took it to an empty school parking lot and practiced backing, cornering, etc.

An air-brake-equipped truck was required for the road test. We were able to rent that from a company that provides that service. They line their trucks up each morning at the test site and charge people a fee to use them. For the fee you get one hour of practice driving with a trainer and a pre-trip inspection walk through. You also get use of the truck for the test itself.

The trainer hour is not meant to teach you much about driving. It's more about time for you to get a feel for the truck you'll be driving in the test. That hour keeps the inspector from leaving his or her teeth in the dashboard the first time you step on the brakes.

The rental truck itself was a joy to test in. It was heavy-duty enough to quallify as an air-brake, Class B license vehicle. It was also short, maybe 20 feet long. It had a back window, rear view mirror inside, and a flatbed where the box (van body) would normally be. We both passed our road tests on the first try.

Because we had no truck driving experience, our carrier required us to take a second carrier-approved road test at a facility of their choosing. We had no trouble with that test either.

When we got in our fleet owner's truck for the first time, he spent a few minutes with each of us driving the truck around a mall parking lot. That was the extent of our training from him. Having seen us drive, he figured we could do just fine on our own.

Then we took his truck out on our new grand adventure. That was a Class 8 (Freightliner Century Class), 40 foot straight truck with an auto-shift transmission. The first few days included a few tense moments but we got through. Our first two loads were in Florida, one in downtown Miami. Our third load took us straight into New York City. While there were some white-knuckle moments, we got through OK.

After a couple of weeks we were very comfortable driving our big (to us) truck. We avoided shifting challenges by insisting on an auto-shift transmission. We avoided the required Class A license training and time and expense by committing to a straight truck.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
There are a lot of fleet owners out there that hire drivers . Some drivers like this arrangement a lot and just continue working that way . As mentioned in the previous response , check the classifieds at this site .

53maggie

Expert Expediter
maggie THANK-YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE INFO. I WORK IN A IBC BAKERY RIGHT NOW AND I WANT OUT BAD!!! MY HUSBAND & HIS BROTHER BOTH OWN 2 & 3 SEMI'S AND HIRE DRIVERS FOR THEM . HIS BROTHER GOT THE IDEA FOR ME TO GET INTO EXPEDITE DRIVING. I LOVE TO DRIVE AND I'M REAL GOOD AT NOT GETTING LOST. MY BUTTER HALF & I WENT ON MORTORCYCLE TRIPS FOR 2 WEEKS FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS. I DIRVE MY OWN,AN BEEN ALL OVER THE PLACE. SO I KNOW I WOULD LIKE DRIVING. YOU HAVE BEEN ALOT OF HELP, THANK-YOU! HOPEFULLY I'M IN A TRUCK BY THE FRIST OF THE YEAR! ;)

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
ATeam, I think it's wonderful that the two of you ventured into something without having any type of experience whatsoever in the trucking business (i.e., no driving experience).

Presently, my b/f drives OTR and we are seriously talking about getting into the expedite business. I love to drive, always have and am a very good driver (of course that is my opinion). Our kids are grown and we have the freedom to do whatever we choose to do. There is so much that I want to see in this country and why not do it and make a living doing it?

I will be getting my permit in the next month and have some some questions for you. How long after you got your permit did it take you to get your CDL? Is there a waiting period after you get your permit to actually take the driving test?

We are looking at the springtime to start the expedite business and in the meantime, I continue to research this website for all information I can possible get.

Kitty Litter and Ms Puss