Would Heloise approve?

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
As a reader, I exchange books with other drivers. I ended up with some that smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Now I couldn't just not read them because that goes against the grain. Instead, I had the brilliant idea to use one of the flat air fresheners as a book mark. Voila, books to enjoy. :D

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Jeanie,
Great idea! How do you go about swapping books with other drivers? Do you just walk up and ask if they have any books they want to swap or do you go up to a driver and offer a book, or what?

I read all the time and I have started throwing away my paperbacks because I can't carry them around in the truck. I guess I am a little uncomfortable walking up to a driver and asking if they want my old books.

I have been known to leave a good book on a picnic table in a rest area. :)

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
India,
In my quiet, shy way (all who've met me are laughing), I just ask drivers that I see reading what kind of books they read and tell them that I have books looking for homes. I approached one guy who was looking at the book rack in a truckstop. He left with a bag full of books. Sometimes people don't believe you're really giving books away, but I think they're written to be read.
Like you I'll leave them sitting around. Any time I finish a book in a public place I'll leave it. I hope that's not considered littering.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ya Jeanie I had to admit I was laughing over your shy ways! When we used to have terminals there was always tables to trade and leave books. You know anyone going to MATS should plan on bringing books to trade. Since we have started using the IPOD and the E Reader I do not carry so many books.

I love the idea of the air freshner.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Nice part about being old and my memory shot is that I can read a book and about a month later read it again. It's like I vaguely remember what's going on, but not exactly. Usually all I can recall is that the book ends on the last page. Most of my magazines I read and then pass to my brother who reads them, passes them on to another guy who gives them to a nursing home. I hope the old guys in the home enjoy antique car, tractor, gas engine, etc magazines. I imagine there are women's books like Ladies Home Journal and all that stuff running out the ears in nursing homes.

Last edited: