Worthless <75

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Since we are now using the load opps we have found that a less than 75 (<75) is truly worthless.

Sitting in an Express Center with a <75 and knowing the loads are offered to lots of Express Centers, means that the <75 doesn't mean anything.

I would like for all dispatchers to be told that the <75 doesn't mean anything to us anymore so they wouldn't think they are doing us a favor by asking us to take cheap freight on THIS load so they will give us a <75 for the next one.

We, of course, will not usually accept the cheap freight since we have our minimum amount for accepting loads. If it is going to cost us to run a load then we won't accept it. But for a dispatcher to then say they can give us a <75 for accepting a cheap load is non-nonsensical.

What are your thoughts on the <75 now that we all know they are offering loads to lots of Express Centers at the same time?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Nothing has changed with the less than 75 from before load opps and now with the load opps.

The less than 75 are still desirable as you will still be one of the first trucks offered the load and have first choice at it.

The less than 75 truck status can be offered a load within 300 miles of the load pick as long as that truck can make pickup on time. There can be another less than 75 truck checked into another express center that can also make the pickup on time and they will also be offered the load opp. The truck highest in the VRU rankings will get the load.

The difference we are seeing with the loads opps is that all of the less than 75 trucks are being offered the load at the same time where before only the highest ranking less than 75 would see the load.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Maybe I have it backwards, but because loads are offered to multiple express centers at the same time, would not less-than-75 status be more valuable?

Say we are sitting in Indianapolis on a Friday and have just finished a less-than-75 load. A good number of express centers are within a day's drive. Your less-than-75 status will put you ahead of most trucks in most centers if there is time for you to get to the pickup on the load being offered.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is how we see it the less then 75 if still good as long as the load pays well enough. What is happening now though is we are being offered load opps and expecting to get them as we have in the past. Now though the load can be offered to two or more less then 75 trucks in different express centers and the less then 75 with the highest rating in the VRU will get the load.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I feel the same way,less than 75 is more important now,but if your to far out to make pick up on time,you wont be sent the opportunity anyway

aileron

Expert Expediter
I don't think there is any difference now compared to how it was before. The only difference that I notice (<75 or not) is that now we know what loads come out that we are able to run. Before, the load wouldn't have been offered to you in the first place since there was someone with a higher dwell time than you that accepted it (even from another express center). Now, you get the opportunity, you accept it, but someone else takes it.

A couple of months ago I was sitting in St. Louis, MO. A load opportunity came over with a very good paying load that delivered an hour away from my house. Of course, someone else took it. I would have liked not to know about it. So the next load that was offered was going to Dallas, TX. Paying good, but not in the right direction. I ended up taking it...

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Not that I don't think you're right, but I do have a cute story about <75.

We went into Atlanta to meet up with some friends that drive for the same owner. They had gotten there just before us, so they were ahead of us on the board. We were parked side-by-side and there must have been close to 20 trucks in when we got there. We can only sit so long before we get antsy, so after 3 days we accepted a load. Thirty miles into the DHPU the load cancelled and we got <75 status, so we turned around and reassumed our parking space next to our friends. Within 1 hour a great load came across and we both got the offer! And, we both put in for it. Because we had <75 we leap frogged right over them. We got the load.

We're still friends - they knew they would have done the same thing to us!

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
[QUOTEThe difference we are seeing with the loads opps is that all of the less than 75 trucks are being offered the load at the same time where before only the highest ranking less than 75 would see the load.

Let's say 5 trucks all with a <75 and all of them could make the pickup on time and are just about the same distance from the pickup would the truck with the most dwell time get the load or the one who was quickest to reply get the load because one or more of the other trucks couldn't pull over to safely use the QC to accept the LOAD OPP within the given acceptence time limit. This is one of the things I don't like about the new load opps system. Doing away with the human element is never a good thing. The system benefits the carrier more than the o/o.

I understand the carrier's reasons for introducing the new system, more trucks offered the load the better chances of getting the load covered. It's a smart move on their part. It has in my opinion, led to a lot of very low rate loads being offered. I never saw such low rate loads offered under the LOAD OFFER system, where you could talk to a real person.

I know that with so many expedite companies out there now and the freight drop off it makes for everyone bidding lower to keep customers and get freight in trucks, even if the freight rate won't cover our expenses. But when do the carriers say enough is enough our contractors need to make money on these loads.

Maybe the carriers should think about taking a little less and give us a little more. The carriers after all are just brokers for the freight. They have no investment in the power equipment that transports the freight.

Would it hurt the carriers to take less and give us more until the freight picks up, and then go back to their normal cut? I think not.

Yes I know, we are not forced to take any loads. And we don't take the loads we can't make a profit on. That's not the point. I am saying maybe the carriers should try as hard to keep the contractors as happy as they do the customers. Without us contractors there would be no carriers.

Sorry I went off subject, it just spurted out as I was typing. I am very happy with my carrier, but times are hard and will stay this way for quite a while. Us contractors need all the help we can get, and LOW RATE FREIGHT don't get it. We contractors have tightened our belts as tight as we can. Now maybe it's tome for the carriers to Cowboy Up and take less and give more.

Please no company line rhetoric needed.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
the time you accept the load doesnt pertain to getting the load.if 5 75 status trucks all with the same distance to the pickup,the truck with the longest dwell will get the load.To prove this,yesturday while I was talking to dispatch,about an opportunity,even though I had the longest dwell,I was told if I wanted the load,mke up my mind,cause truck behind me,already accepted it.So this will take the 1st truck to accept out of the question

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I see no difference in responding to a <75 offer. You are given ten minutes to respond to the load opp or before the load offer. If you cannot respond on the C-Link you can both call in and give the dispatcher the load number and say yes or no or you can respond via the C-Link. The ten minutes is the same nothing has changed.

When we take a discounted load we often see “explain reason in detail” which means there was money added to the load. There are several of the discounted customers where we get a higher percentage. Call in and talk to your CC or CR and they can tell you these customers are.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The less than 75 is a double edged sword just a many things in life are. We have enjoyed the benifits of one and had to put up with tons of "junk" loads because we had one. The funny thing about them is the way that some dispatchers use them as "Money" They throw them out like they are worth real money. We always get a laugh over that. They are what they are. Layoutshooter

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
One note on this subject you can call in on VRU and do option 6 to listen to any active load offers. So if you are unable to get to Clink or if you happen to get disconnected on phone. You don't have to speak to a dispatcher.:)