Work Accident Insurance

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I couldn't.
Have a friend that collected off it for a year and has nothing but good things to say about it.
The plan CIS sells will not cover you if you do hazmat. As of Jan 2012.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
The ES o/o plan is much cheaper, but no idea what the depth is. If they can get it so can we.....just not sure of the cost.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I haven't as far as a B unit. Our insurance carrier is one if the largest available and i doubt you'll beat our fleet rate, If you go with another carrier you'll be paying the individual rate unless your a member of a trucking assiciation.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
CIS does have coverage available to us.
The rate is fixed for a straight truck driver at $124 per driver per month.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Mine runs $39 a week. Guess I should try to find my own also. I get mine through ES I believe or at least they are the ones deducting it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The policy JJ talks about does cover you if you haul haz-mat and is approved by Fedex.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I talked to CIS and this is the reply I was given:

Hi Linda,

Thanks for allowing us to clarify the question of Haz Mat regarding the CIS/One Beacon Occupational Accident plan.
First and foremost, our Program with One Beacon meets the requirements accepted by FedEx for its leased on Owner Operators as a replacement for their Work Accident program.
Our One beacon program offers excellent coverage and benefits for our FedEx and other Expediting companies. A number of Motor Carriers agree as they also offer One Beacon for their in house fleet progams.
To be clear, all insurance carriers employ underwriting guidelines to avoid any adverse exposure to loss. Example: Fuel haulers, most hazardous waste haulers and other higher risk groups of haxmat carriers are naturally in a strict risk pool.
So when someone calls CIS to ask if "we insure Haz Mat"...our answer will be "No" every time. If someone calls and says they are with Fed Ex, can we do their Occ Acc, our answer will always be "Yes."
The One Beacon coverage is one of the best available to Owner Operators in our opinion. The One Beacon program includes the basics expected, as well as coverage for “non-occupational” accident benefits, passenger accident coverage, identity theft resolution services and access to a prescription discount plan.
For more specifics, please see below for the coverage and exclusions included in the One Beacon plan. All policies issued also include this policy language.
OOIDA also offers the One Beacon option to Owner Operators in Expediting, with the same coverage and exclusions listed on their website.

We bought this insurance this year and like all insurances I hope we do not have to use it. I figured the last several years of how much we paid into our former insurance and found it was cheaper to go with CIS. No fuss pay the premium and CIS sends the forms to FedEx and we are ready to go.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I called CIS,signed a couple of pages that were faxed to me and CIS took care of everything at my carrier.
I am now saving over 50% on my coverage. Very fast,simple,and easy.
JJ,thanks for starting this thread.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Fedex called yesterday. If you cancel insurance bought thru them they want to hear it from the policyholder,not your new insurance provider.