Words of Wisdom

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I posted an ad in the classifieds for a sprinter driver. I suggested if they did not have experience in expediting, they should read the EO forums to learn about the realities of income and lifestyle from experienced drivers. That would be you.

Share your knowledge and advice. And your war stories. The good, the bad, the ugly. Be gentle!!

Reactions: davekc

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I posted an ad in the classifieds for a sprinter driver. I suggested if they did not have experience in expediting, they should read the EO forums to learn about the realities of income and lifestyle from experienced drivers. That would be you.

Share your knowledge and advice. And your war stories. The good, the bad, the ugly. Be gentle!!
You do not want to hire an individual who doesn't have experience in this market.

That being said.... You sound like you know what this market consists of.... So

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Amazing. How does one get experience if every owner thought like you do?
How one gains initial experience is on them. If all you do is hire from a pool of individuals who have no experience in this business, you're just going to have a revolving door. Which is not what any company wants. Because the realities, the stress, and the general expectations that are usually high will be what causes the individual to work for a few weeks and leave.

Why do you think most trucking companies that are worth anything require that you have experience?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
How one gains initial experience is on them. If all you do is hire from a pool of individuals who have no experience in this business, you're just going to have a revolving door. Which is not what any company wants. Because the realities, the stress, and the general expectations that are usually high will be what causes the individual to work for a few weeks and leave.

Why do you think most trucking companies that are worth anything require that you have experience?
We were all rookies once. There are fast learners and hard workers in the newbie group, and slackers in the experienced group. I would hope these companies that are worth a damn pay their workers according to their experience. Alas, I doubt it works that way... at least it didn't when I was in expedite. The way I see it, if you want experience put your money where your mouth is.

Reactions: Shotcallerj

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
We were all rookies once. There are fast learners and hard workers in the newbie group, and slackers in the experienced group. I would hope these companies that are worth a damn pay their workers according to their experience. Alas, I doubt it works that way... at least it didn't when I was in expedite. The way I see it, if you want experience put your money where your mouth is.
Oh I absolutely agree on that. We were all new at one time. My first expediting job was in a POS Chevy 3500 express. No AC, No cruise. No amenities. All that owner brought on was new people. She had that revolving door policy because of that. I eventually moved on to an owner who had a nice sprinter. That owner required at least a year of expedite experience for two reasons. 1. He wanted people that knew what they were doing and what the business was like. 2. Professionals tend to respect the equipment better than someone who is new. He did very well for himself with that philosophy.

So when I bought my vans, I held on to the same policy. Not saying I didn't have trouble with certain drivers, but I had a lot less than I could have.

Reactions: Tennesseahawk