data connect device this wkend.
any tips/questions I shld be asking
the cell co.'s? I'm on At+t... and
intend to keep phones on there.
however i am open to other co.'s
for data connect devices.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have had verizon air card in the van since I started almost 3 yrs ago..just upgraded to a 3G usb460 with them....i haven't had any problems since i started at all, that is way i upgraded with them....

Wait!! I do have an issue with band width...there are a few You tube videos i can't watch without a long wait time....but then thats not a big deal since i don't watch them alot...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have the Sprint Overdrive WiFi 3g 4g and there is no way I would recommend this.

I have had the Overdrive replaces once and was lucky enough that they felt sorry for me and I did not have to send in the Overdrive and have a new one shipped to house they gave me one off of the shelf.

I have had problems with the unit getting so hot it shut itself down and it was to hot to touch. The Overdrive drops service often and is a royal pain. I have had Sprint service for many years going from using the phone as my connection, and than I went to a external card, and then to a internal card and I had great service. I would have connection even when our phone did not.

I mistakenly thought that the new Overdrive I would have the same great service. I was mistaken as I am stuck with this for two years and it is going to be a long two years!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here ya go. It's a no-brainer.

vzw_ATT.jpg

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I went with Verizon, as 1st impressions are everything. T-mobile was pushy, and reps were kind of sketchy on coverage. Sprint, well I already knew about their OTR cell coverage being spotty, so EO post made that an easy choice of Not a chance. AT+T is still my cell phone provider, Verizon would cost me the same amt of money for basically the same calling plan. Verizon's MiFi is 10 bucks less than what att has. Altell was super busy at their store, and the store didn't seem to have any info that I could take with me to read up on about their data connect device. Plus, they are 65 a month, versus Verizon @ 50 a month. Thanks guys! Plus, Verizon rep at agent store sweetened deal, when he found that the rebate was no longer offerered he said he'd throw in the USB Port (regularly 35bucks) device to dwnload pics from MicroSD card in my cell... that was cool. A good save and excellent customer service on their part. That's all here. Thanks again guys and gals.

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
I have been with Nextel/Sprint since 2002. I recently upgraded phones to the Samsung Epic. I absolutely love it. It is a Hot Spot and can run 5 wireless devices. It works great, I have internet all time and sometimes even when I have no cell service. Best choice I have ever made concering phones and internet service.

bill98

Seasoned Expediter
I have a air card with Verizon over 2 years no problem connection any place in country and as a plus you get a 12% discount for Tri-State just bring ion your settlement sheet to any store every littler helps

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Because there is no roaming with Verizon's Mobile Broadband, you can still get connected and not have to pay thru the nose even in areas where 3G isn't present. It might be slow as slow dialup, but you can at least get connected. It's very rare when I cannot get some kind of connection. It's happened a couple of times in Middle-of-Nowhere Nevada, SE Oregon, but it's rare. More often than not I can get a 3G signal most anywhere (see map).

BTW, 17% discount with Panther. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
22% Awesomely excellent. :D

Panther people also get the same 17% with Sprint, incidentally.

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
With my Sprint Epic I have unlimited everything, including Hot Spot time. I am not limited to the usual 5000 (not sure of the terminology for internet usage).

As part of my negotians of starting with my carrier they pay for half of the increase in my bill to upgrade to this phone. So they are paying $22.00 a month for it. At least that is what they said they will do we will see. It has only been one month so far.

Last edited:

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
I have been with Nextel/Sprint since 2002. I recently upgraded phones to the Samsung Epic. I absolutely love it. It is a Hot Spot and can run 5 wireless devices. It works great, I have internet all time and sometimes even when I have no cell service. Best choice I have ever made concering phones and internet service.

ive been thinking of your setup as well, however the $110 a month is allot!! ill see how my $69 unlimited sprint plan holds up, tethered to the laptop...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
After four years with Sprint using a plane ol' phone and air card for internet connection, I moved to Verizon, and connect to the internet through a Droid X phone. Ends up costing about the same with an upgrade in technology.

eb

LittleJoe10

Seasoned Expediter
I have always ran w sprint and never had a problem ,and with the Blackberries you can use your phone as your WI/Fi . All the cell companies are not perfect , they all have flaws . But check out Sprint . If your home computer has only dial up (don't laugh some are out there still) you can bring your card in and plug it in to your home pc and have 3g power . Hope this helps out . Joe

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My aircard was damaged and I just replaced it. It is an ATT card. The new one has a USB connector that swivels and pivots so it will move out of the way to allow using the USB connector next to it. This is the first aircard I've had that didn't block both ports. I really like it for that feature.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
We have Verizon Mobile Internet the 5GB plan for $60 a month.

But since coming onto E.O. 5 GB doesn't seem to be enough LOL :D

1 What are you paying per month for unlimited with your providers & are you still happy with the coverage?

2. Is the way to go nowadays with using a wi-fi phone?

Thank you :p

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I've been with Verizon USB Stick for about 3 years now...Great coverage and decent speed. Only real complaint is 5GB limit. 5GB is enought to do my business stuff and a good deal of web surfing with a little left over.

I would watch alot more movies and internet TV if i could tho. I handle this now by parking at the nearest hotel with WI-FI. Good solution but a little inconvenient.

I was all ready to get a Mi-fi as I have several internet devices now and would like them all to work seamlessly. But verizion is just coming out with 4g and seem to have only the USB sticks available right now...New Mifi comes out in april...so the waiting game continues.