Winter, straight truck starting problems Hino specifically

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Okay, here's the question
For those of you who run a straight truck and turn it off during rest times, how do you get it restarted when it is very cold out?
My Hino has a plug in but finding an outlet is not always possible when I am out on the road.
I know if I don't plug mine in and it gets around 10 or below it will not start. Aside from waking up every 2 hours to start her up.

Unrelated Hino Questions
Does anyone have a problem with the cruise control turning off when going over big bumps like over passes or bad pavement?

Does anyone have a problem with the driver door leaking at the top of the door while raining, and excessive wind noise?

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I have 10 of those HINO's and have not experienced any of the problems you mentioned except for the starting during real cold temperatures. Unfortunately the only things I found to do were to:

1. Scout out a power source and keep the truck plugged in
2. Keep the truck running (getting up every 2 hours doesn't let me get my much needed
beauty rest) :)
3. Use idle air (definately cheaper than idling and you can keep the truck plugged in at the
same time)
4. Carry and use a portable generator to plug the truck in and for an extra power source
(I have these on several of my trucks)

Not trying to get totally off your subject, but have you experienced any problems with the emissions system on the newer HINO trucks?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
1. Scout out a power source and keep the truck plugged in
If possible i'll run a cord from the motel room to truck
2. Keep the truck running (getting up every 2 hours doesn't let me get my much needed
beauty rest) :) I agree
3. Use idle air (definately cheaper than idling and you can keep the truck plugged in at the
same time)won't work , I am in a day cab and need to get a motel room for sleep time
4. Carry and use a portable generator to plug the truck in and for an extra power source might be an option I'll have to price the small ones

Not trying to get totally off your subject, but have you experienced any problems with the emissions system on the newer HINO trucks?
I have a 2007 with 188K on it but this is a pre DPR truck
The company I left got a 2009 Hino I believe and had to have the exhaust system replaced at around 10K, under warranty of course, I think they are still working the bugs out of the DPR system and I for one am happy I don't have to deal with the DPR and regenerating etc. Seems like it blows more crap out into the environment during regeneration then the older trucks did running all day.
Also while working at Brinks they received new International trucks and the city trucks regenerated at least three times a day, but those trucks idle all day log and lots of sitting at stops, highway trucks didn't need to regenrate hardly ever.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Call the Hino roadside service.
tell them this is not an Emergency , but you have some questions .
they are the best source of info.

if its get too cold , just let it Idle for the night , you will sleep better in your hotel room ,knowing it will run .

i did not had any cruise control problem , nor a water leak , the wind noise came with the truck , and is not excessive for my ear , but the all i use to is a frieghtshaker a Fraud and a Volvo , so what do i know...

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
UUUhhhhh, DAKOTA, are you agreeing that I need my beauty rest or agreeing about getting up every 2 hours to start the truck ? :) :)

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter

if its get too cold , just let it Idle for the night , you will sleep better in your hotel room ,knowing it will run .

i did not had any cruise control problem , nor a water leak , the wind noise came with the truck , and is not excessive for my ear , but the all i use to is a frieghtshaker a Fraud and a Volvo , so what do i know...

Calling the roadside service works BUT most of the time, the roadside service truck takes at least an hour to show up. I've had to call them several times, somtimes when one of my trucks were under a load, and the roadside people are never quick. It all depends on where you are at the time, just like most everyting else.
I've found that most of the people you talk to when you call the HINO hot line, don't know diddly. Try contacting either the dealer you bought your truck from, or any dealer that sells/repairs HINO's. You'll get better results. Great suggestions MOOSE! :)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

Honestly, I wouldn't sleep a wink if the truck was running, because I'd worry about someone stealing it, even if I locked the doors!!!

I could call Penske to start the truck, but if it is not plugged in, I would get charged, if it is plugged in, it is free

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dakota, do a search under diesel engine preheaters. Webasto makes ones and maybe Espar.

Home Phillips-Temro
Check this one out. I used to pickup and deliver here. Even did a couple of outbound expedite loads.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Honestly, I wouldn't sleep a wink if the truck was running, because I'd worry about someone stealing it, even if I locked the doors!!!

I could call Penske to start the truck, but if it is not plugged in, I would get charged, if it is plugged in, it is free

If your truck is still under warranty, they can NOT charge you to come jump start it, regardless if it's plugged in or not. I called HINO to come jump start my trucks several times
last winter when my guys 'forgot' to plug them in when they were either home or in a motel. Never got charged once. You might want to look into that more if someone is trying to charge you for a service that's covered under warranty. Sounds to me like someone is trying to rip you off.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Dakota, do a search under diesel engine preheaters. Webasto makes ones and maybe Espar.

Home Phillips-Temro
Check this one out. I used to pickup and deliver here. Even did a couple of outbound expedite loads.

I have WEBASTO heaters in the sleepers in some of my trucks. Boy, do they ever work great! Never thought to look to see if WEBASTO had a system to heat the engine. THANKS for the suggestion!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK so let me get this straight.... if you don't plug in your truck, it don't start?

This past February, in -30 degree cold weather, I had to shut my truck down. It sat for a day and a half in the open lot with the wind whipping up to 20 mph. I got into the truck when I got back to it, turned the key, let it go through its ecm checks and started it up. It started, stumbled for a moment and then ran smooth. It wasn't plugged in and this was a week after I had frozen fuel lines.

So what am I missing?

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
OK so let me get this straight.... if you don't plug in your truck, it don't start?

This past February, in -30 degree cold weather, I had to shut my truck down. It sat for a day and a half in the open lot with the wind whipping up to 20 mph. I got into the truck when I got back to it, turned the key, let it go through its ecm checks and started it up. It started, stumbled for a moment and then ran smooth. It wasn't plugged in and this was a week after I had frozen fuel lines.

So what am I missing?

These HINO's tend to be cold blooded. When the temp gets down to 20 or lower, they tend to have a hard time starting if they're not plugged in or in a warm garage. It does help tremendously to keep the diesel fuel additives in the fuel. For some reason, this helps the trucks to start easier when it's real cold out. I keep a case of it in all my trucks in the winter & tell my drivers to add some whenever they get fuel during the cold winter months. It helps to keep those lines from freezing. We've also put some insulation around the fuel lines for the winter and haven't had a frozen fuel line since. Take it off in the spring. Might not look the prettiest but it works great and is much easier & cheaper than to have frozen fuel lines.

moose

Veteran Expediter

I was talking about calling them for advice ...
they are the best in the business .

guido4475

Not a Member
As far as generators are concerned, I was at Harbor Freight last night just killing time, and I saw a nice generator that could fit on the passenger side floorboard when not in use. It was like a 1,200 watt. But make sure you know what youre wattage is for the block heater is.The generator was close to $150.00.I had a 1995 GMC Topkick that was a bear to start in the winter.It had an intake heater on it, that would engage when you turned the key, and would not turn over until the light went out.By the time it was done sucking juice out of the batteries to warm the intake on the 3116 Cat, there was very little to start it,but it did, barely. Sometimes I had to go throught this several times before it would start.I loved that little daycab truck, and did the same thing as you, Dakota, ran freight all over getting motel rooms.Spring ride. Juice brakes.Now that was truckin' !!!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We use synthetic oil which really helps with starting in the winter. If you have a generator and will be using it for heat plug your truck into it. When your generator starts to heat the sleeper you will also start the block heater.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what am I missing?

If your truck sat for a day and a half in -30 degree temperatures and started right up I'd say you're not missing anything. In fact you've got it all. Including a heated horseshoe up your ***.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Newer trucks can have lower compression ratio's to help deal with NOx emissions. Lower compression ratio's in a diesel will make it start harder in the winter.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You may be right, but I am also thinking that the timing adjustments on these Hinos are not as aggressive as the other makes for emission purposes.