Windows XP crashing

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Anyone else ever have this problem? I'm running an emachines desktop with the AMD Athelon processor, running MSN 9/ Windows XP.

I go to log on, and the normal 'dialing noises' don't come. It dials, starts the back and forth hi/lo beeps and sqeels, then freezes on a lo note, that's the only way I know to say it. It just sticks.

I run a system restore back to the last checkpoint, and it's fine for another couple days.

Virus scan shows nothing. Spyware nothing. Just freezes.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

You don't stop laughing because you grow old,

You grow old because you stop laughing.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I recently had trouble that was traced to a device driver. It wasn't freezing up like yours is. It was hanging up when I wanted to shut down. I don't know if that could have anything to do with your problem but is the only check I know to suggest.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I would try to find some updated drivers first to see. IF not go into the drivers mananger and uninstall the modem then restart the computer and it will reinstall the modem that may help.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Been running XP on desktops w/AMD Athlon CPU's for 4 1/2 yrs. No problem. Sounds like the other guys are right. Go to the Windows update website http://update.microsoft.com/ and see if you can update the drivers for modem and operating system (XP) as well.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Reinstalled driver, no luck.. still does it.. Guess I'll have to break down and take it to the shop.. I just hate being without a 'puter.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"To respond is positive, to react is negative."
--Zig Ziglar

Jayman

Expert Expediter
If you can take the modem out yourself...you may consider replacing it. Maybe borrow one from somebody else long enough to diagnose. Usually problems like this comes from software issues, but..sometimes its actually the hardware.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if the dial up connection Dialing Rules have a problem. This is where windows determines what the connection protocols are set.