Windows Vista

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Probably not right away. I want to wait until the first dozen gross of bugs are worked out.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Probably not right away. I want to wait until the first
>dozen gross of bugs are worked out.

Leo,
I think thats about the right time to wait, after the SP4.56443 and two hundred updates it should be alright to use.

Let's see with the past experience of MS products, the average time for bug fixes are around three months so a dozen gross of bugs will most likely take -

12 X 144 X 3 = 5184 months or 432 years

Yep that's about right.

Seriously, before I got laid off I was evaluating longhorn (Vista's 'code name') and found it ok. the auto reover system was better than XP and did like the info bar thing.

I got a copy of the release canidate (prerelease version) but don't have a machine I can put it on. I am going to try Vista out with a retail copy when it gets release.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
A friend of mine owns a computer shop, and I recently bought a laptop from him. I asked him if I should go ahead with an XP or wait for Vista. His reply was "you don't want Vista". His opinion was that it has more bugs than XP did when it came out.

He knows more than me about this stuff, had the shop for several years, so I have to trust him. I am eligible for the upgrade, but I'll wait til we hear the bugs have been worked out.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"You cannot tailor make the situations in life, but you can tailor make the attitudes to fit those situations before they arise"

Zig Ziglar

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I'm figuring they'll fix several at a time so I figure the first dozen or so gross should be fixed somewhere between a year and two years. I also figure it will become the standard on new computers sold within a short time and I may buy a new computer in another year or two and get it by default.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

tmbm

Seasoned Expediter
I always hate any of the new OS when they first come out. I'm still getting use to the newest updates with serv pck 2 on this thing. But I will eventually give in and get it, then complain because I don't like where they moved buttons to.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>Is anyone planning on getting Windows Vista, and why? It
>doesn't have many new features that I would use. More info
>here:
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

There is no compelling reason for anyone to get this new OS version unless it has features that you absolutely need to have.

Note I said "need" and not "want". :)

Wait at least 6 months to 1 year before considering installing it. By that time there will be several reports out on it and M$ will have had enough time to issue bug fixes and perhaps the first service pack release.

I will not upgrade to a new Windows OS until M$ has released the first service pack. Then, I will wait to see the reports roll in on that service pack before going ahead with the upgrade.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Vista is going to be worse than Windows ME. Hollywood came a knocking and Microsoft bowed down. You won't be able to play downloaded/copied music without providing proof that it's yours, if you play DRM'ed music you need to disable your audio output jack on your computer. Want to play a downloaded movie from say Itunes? Not unless you disable tv out on your video card. The system is locked down tighter than fort knoxs.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The following FAQ is from Total Recorder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Total Recorder and Windows Vista

Total Recorder version 6.0 and lower are not compatible with Windows Vista. In the version 6.1 the compatibility problems are resolved, with the exception of the following:

The program Help does not work: format of the Help file is not supported as being outdated. To use this format, you need to download additional tools. When you try to launch Help, you receive a message with necessary information and download links.

The Help file in supported format will be included in the next version of Total Recorder. Meanwhile, you can use the following documentation instead of the Help file.
With Windows Vista, the Total Recorder driver can record output only of those programs that do not use (or can work without using) Direct Sound and allow to select an audio device independently of the system settings.

This issue is related to the significant changes in functioning of the sound subsystem in the Windows Vista. Regretfully, most audio playback programs do not satisfy these criteria and cannot be recorded in the Software mode. You can only record output of these programs in the Soundboard mode if your soundcard has an appropriate line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like my next OS will not be Vista.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is beginning to look more and more like time to learn Linux or go to OS X.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Apple warns MS Vista could `corrupt` iPods

Feb 6, 2007, 23:00 GMT

CUPERTINO, CA, United States (UPI) -- California`s Apple Inc. has warned iPod users to stay clear of Microsoft Corp`s new Vista operating system, alleging it could damage their iPods.

Apple said iPod users should not upgrade their PCs to Vista until Apple releases a patch to fix a number of compatibility issues, one of which 'may corrupt your iPod.'

A statement posted on Apple`s Web support forum says upgrading to Vista from Windows 2000 or Windows XP may prevent users from playing songs purchased and downloaded to the desktop iTunes player from Apple`s online iTunes store.

In addition, the iPod may become corrupted if users try to eject their digital music player from a desktop port using the 'Safely Remove Hardware' feature found on the Vista system tray, Apple says.

Until it releases the patch, the company recommends users undock their iPods from a Vista-equipped PC using iTunes` 'Eject iPod' control.

Apple expects to release the next version of iTunes 'within a few weeks,' it says.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
And?

I think that Apple needs to utilize the prerelease version to upgrade iTunes.

It's not like they didn't know VIsta was coming.

A little late coming to the party Apple.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Greg wrote:

>I think that Apple needs to utilize the prerelease version to upgrade iTunes.
Do you know they didn't ? (or haven't been trying to ?)

And what's to say that MS didn't make changes to the final version that broke things ?

>It's not like they didn't know VIsta was coming.
>A little late coming to the party Apple.

Well here's the alternative viewpoint - perhaps Microsoft, shouldn't work quite so hard to break 3rd parties applications ..... the fact is MS has a documented history of doing this. I'm fairly certain that this isn't what the consumer is paying for .......

Of course MS doesn't have any vested interests here ..... I'm sure their motivations are totally altruistic ......

...... oh wait .... what's that you say about Zune and Microsoft's own digital music offering ?

....... hmmmmm ...... sounds like more anti-competitive behavior to me ...... guess some leopards never change their spots ........

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rlent,

Don't take things so hard.

I am an open source guy myself, that is why I made the comment "time for a real operating system".

I believe that MS needs to be a little more progressive in their development of the operating systems and the applications than they have been. I am not all that happy with the resource managment in the core of Vista and don't like the security, especially with some of the need for directory services fragments. I do not in anyway like windows media player, it wiped my 5000 hours of audio and video off the face of the earth because of the DRM cr*p - I use iTunes.

But I have done enough support and managing of projects to know that Apple has had a problem of not moving forward quick enough with MS products. Look at how long it took them to get itunes straight for the windows platform. I worked on a project for a customer who had nothing but apple, what a pain trying to work with them. I am disapointed that they went to the intel system, I think that the motorola system was better.

As for the "sounds like more anti-competitive behavior to me" point, I got to say go through the Apple resellers program and see how much latitude you have in comparison to MS when it comes to pricing. No matter what anyone says, Apple has yet to allow the resellers to discount the products to make them competitive with the PC world unless they are large volume dealers. MS has pricing tiers and truthfully you can actually get a copy of vista for a lot less than retail but you can't with apple.

The other thing about Apple (now you got me rolling, he he) is it took them how long to embrace the developers? The need to keep things secret with all thier source code so to only have the ones who can afford to develop programs do so was the reason why they lagged behind. On the other hand, MS took the lead with this because of their efforts to work with developers early on. It wasn't the popularity of the operating systems that made MS the money and name, it was the access to the tools and code that allowed the hundreds of programs that ran on the operating system to be avalible to the public that did.

When they get a mapping program for Linux that really works, I will get rid of XP on this and use Linux.

Yep Open source.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
I took some time to play with Vista, below are some key findings:

80% of the shortcuts I use with WinXP are no longer there with Vista, even the basic "Windows Key-U-U" (shutdown) is absent from Vista.

My hardware runs warmer by 6 - 9 celsius with Vista idling, yes only idling.

There is an incredible amount of bloat built into most versions of Windows. I am able to trim about 250 megs out of my WinXP installs. Vista includes an extraordinary amount of bloat that adds no value and starts sucking the life out of systems *before* running apps.

I conducted the investigation to determine if the business should consider adopting Vista as our new OS platform. The answer is no. WinXP may be the last version of Windows we run as a corporation.

We will now start looking more seriously into the ramifications of adopting Linux as our computing platform.