Wind Deflector

RDY2GO

Seasoned Expediter
I've posted a few times on this forum and used to have a screen name but can't remember p-word so had to re-join.

I want to ask if anyone knows where to buy a wind deflector.

I have a '98 IHC 4700, 2 axles, 26000 GVW. It has one of the small 36" sleepers that is squeezed in between the cab and box, not the large type that is all one piece like a big rig (I never have gotten straight on the different classes, A / B / C / D units).

I just want the simplest kind of deflector, just a flat piece of fiberglass (I think that's what they are made of) held up on a metal frame, mounted on top of cab angled at 45 degrees or so. I see them on big trucks with day cabs. It's already so heavy I can't afford any extra weight.

Can't seem to find anything on the web or stores I've called.

Thanks~

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RDY2GO, check out Bruno's Anteater. Go to The History Of Expediting conference and then to The History of Expediting, Trucks. I'm not sure if a wind deflector like that is still made. You could probably find one in a junkyard though. The Nosecone sugestion is also an excellent idea and is more areodynamic.

I remember a trucking company from Wisconsin that experimented with those cab mounted air deflectors. They hung them on the underbelly of trailers just forward of the tandems. Don't know how well they worked deflecting air around the tandems. I imagine their service life was short lived. One hit from a piece of road debris and I'm sure they were toast.

This same company ran GMC Astros with an accordian "Gila monster" style fairing that extended form the back of the cab to the nose of the trailer. Fuel efficient maybe? Ugly, absolutely.

RDY2GO

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked at Nosecones and wanted to find something less expensive -- the one quote I got was $700-800 including installation. I'd like to get something I can just clamp onto the gutters on top of cab. I'm sure it's true that Nosecone is more effective, I'm just trying to keep it simple and cheap, anything would be better than the 30+ square foot flat surface of the box as it is now.