Will a extended van

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Will a E-350 extended or Express 3500 extended hold 3 pallets?

And is there rear door opening's about the same?

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
48" is the one's I was thinking of....................so why are all the company's I read about, saying you need a extended van that can haul 3 pallets or is 48" not the standard.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
...so why are all the company's I read about, saying you need a extended van that can haul 3 pallets
My answer to that would be you haven't read enough about enough companies. There are very, very, very few extended Ford E-350s or Chevy Express 3500s that have 12 feet of cargo space, that I know of, anyway. You may have only read about the handful of companies who require Sprinters or something similar, and only about those fewer still that require one that can hold three pallets.

The standard cargo van configuration capability for expediting is two pallets that are 48x48x48 inches and 2500 pounds (some carriers want 3000 pounds, which shouldn't be a problem for most E-350 and E 3500 vans).

Many carriers prefer that you can haul three skids, four would be better, the more the merrier. But that's mainly a matter of convenience for the carrier moreso than is it a requirement of the customers or the industry. Being able to haul 3 (or 4) skids will get you perhaps half a dozen loads a year that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten with a 2-skid van. Having a taller-than 48" Sprinter (or Sprinter wannabe) can get you a significant number of loads that cannot fit into a standard cargo van, however. I haul 3 or 4 loads a month in my Sprinter that wouldn't fit into a regular cargo van, for example.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
You can haul three 48 X 42 in skids in a extended Ford or Chevy and still have 10 to 14 inches for some kind of fold up bunk. 48 X 42 is a common size, however, most auto freight is 48 X 48.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For what it's worth: Figure a standard Chevy or Ford CV to be 10 feet from the back of the seats to the rear doors. An extended CV will add 18" to that. Not quite enough for 3 48" skids, but it IS 18" longer and that can be "enough" to load loose when you might otherwise not have been able to take the run at all. It depends on the freight.

If the skids are 40" x 48", then you can possibly load the skids sideways and get three skids that way.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have a E350 extended from the bulk head to inside of the rear doors it 10' 10."

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Where there's a will......
XCV.
I took out the bulkhead.
Cut back the floor mat.
Took out right seat.
Took bolts out of console box.
I can get 3 @ 48x48 in there.
It's snug but it works.
Of course I certainly like seeing the 48x45 production knock-down skids.
Easy turn-ems.
But it's not often I see the three skid loads anyway.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The guy on the forklift will usualy get a good running start with the freight and make it fit. The wrecked door, torn off marker light, seperated joints on the box, is colateral dammage. Note Im being sarcastic.
Anything more than one or two light skids should be on a truck anyway.

Bob Wolf

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
The guy on the forklift will usualy get a good running start with the freight and make it fit. The wrecked door, torn off marker light, seperated joints on the box, is colateral dammage. Note Im being sarcastic.
Anything more than one or two light skids should be on a truck anyway.

Bob Wolf

Coming from a TRUE straight truck driver. :)!!!!