Will a 2000 watt generator power a 9200 BTU rooftop AC?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking into getting this generator. I like the 2400 model but it is heavier and may not be able to have as many mounting options on a 06 Sprinter. Any ideas where this one could go? May want to run labtop at same time, don't think I would be using anything else while ac was on.

Yamaha Inverter EF2000iS Home, information

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It should but if you are are trying to cool the entire van a 9200 will be a little shy. If you have a bunk and bulkhead you might be ok.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem is not the gen but the size of the a/c. The 9200 should be good for temps in the 80"s to about 90 but anything higher than that would require more btu. I don't think it would very well on a hot Laredo day. I have a 13500 btu that I run with a 2200 Ryobi gen. Works great for me and it doesn't work that hard to keep it cool in my 170+ Sprinter.

Last edited:

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I think the max you can go on a honda 2000 is 13,5k btu with out a hard start cap on the ac me i use just a 5k btu ac to cool just the bunk.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It should but if you are are trying to cool the entire van a 9200 will be a little shy. If you have a bunk and bulkhead you might be ok.

The key is good insulation I hear, this is a top of the line Coleman modern Mach 8 cub I don't think it would have a problem cooling the whole sprinter with a bulkhead in place. Insulation will trap the cold air.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have a bulkhead your not cooling the whole sprinter. Like I said in that situation it should work. An open sprinter even with good insulation not gonna happen.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
What type of truck or van do you have?
Does that AC cool it pretty good?

Have a promaster. No issues cooling. Usually gen runs out of gas and next morning I awake and it's still cool. Not 100% insulated and haven't been in Laredos 105 heat either

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
The problem is not the gen but the size of the a/c. The 9200 should be good for temps in the 80"s to about 90 but anything higher than that would require more btu. I don't think it would very well on a hot Laredo day. I have a 13500 btu that I run with a 2200 Ryobi gen. Works great for me and it doesn't work that hard to keep it cool in my 170+ Sprinter.

Thats what I got. A coleman polar cub 13,500 btu. I have two 2000 watts Honda gens. Wouldnt have anything else!!