Why would you move a post to the FedEx only fourm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Why was the post that was started about DVA moved to the FedEx forum? Not everyone can post in the FedEx Custom Critical forum. That makes no sense. It wasn't putting FedEx down at all. DVA is a GREAT system as I said before.

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Bruno,

I moved this thread to the FedEx forum simply because it was carrier specific. We are focusing on keeping forum topics in the category in which they best relate. There are many benefits to this. One, in the coming weeks and months when a member does a search, related threads are clustered. Two, it keeps each forum clear and focused.

This thread would be better answered in our website support forum.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope the author of the post now has access to that fourm. That is why it was posted where it was. Be a shame if the author can't reply to his own posts....

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
The decision should be made by the originator of the thread as to if he/she wants input and discussion from all members and the originator should be able to post comments and replies at any time during the life of the thread.

Just my two cents.

Moving a thread for organizational reasons only is not a good reason in my opinion. Any interested party can simply go through the extra step of searching both forums or all forums for that matter to uncover any general discussions by all members regarding a particular carrier.

Another 2 cents.:D

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
The decision should be made by the originator of the thread as to if he/she wants input and discussion from all members and the originator should be able to post comments and replies at any time during the life of the thread.

Just my two cents.

Moving a thread for organizational reasons only is not a good reason in my opinion. Any interested party can simply go through the extra step of searching both forums or all forums for that matter to uncover any general discussions by all members regarding a particular carrier.

Ditto 100% and will add that we seem to be a little "heavy handed" these past few days. Locking a thread when no rules were broken with a sorry explanation that it's "not productive" borders on ridiculous. I guess joking around and taking friendly jabs at each other is forbidden.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Ditto 100% and will add that we seem to be a little "heavy handed" these past few days. Locking a thread when no rules were broken with a sorry explanation that it's "not productive" borders on ridiculous. I guess joking around and taking friendly jabs at each other is forbidden.

Perzackly, just 'cuz a mod woke up on the wrong side of the cab doesn't give them the right to blatantly censor the forum when no rules have been broken. Power mad maybe?? :confused:

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Perzackly, just 'cuz a mod woke up on the wrong side of the cab doesn't give them the right to blatantly censor the forum when no rules have been broken. Power mad maybe?? :confused:

Well, you know how those darn rent-a-cops are. Give em a little power and they become rulers of their own worlds.
We see em at the shippers all the time but I guess they hide out other places as well.:D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or it could have nothing to do with waking up on the wrong side of anything. It could have to do with "taking friendly jabs" and the fact that a number of people have to take a little bit bigger/harder jab than the last guy and it escalates as it goes along. It could have to do with a number of people who have to stir things up just to instigate and escalate things. It could have to do with attempting to stop problems before they start.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Or it could have nothing to do with waking up on the wrong side of anything. It could have to do with "taking friendly jabs" and the fact that a number of people have to take a little bit bigger/harder jab than the last guy and it escalates as it goes along.
It could have to do with a number of people who have to stir things up just to instigate and escalate things
. It could have to do with attempting to stop problems before they start.

So now I'm not only not productive but I'm also an instigator.

It could have to do with attempting to stop problems before they start
Something like mind control, or to keep your hand in the "game"
I sure appreciate you protecting me from myself.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup. I'm tellin' ya, if you can read there, you should be able to post there, and if you can't post there, you shouldn't be able to read there. But that won't happen. And the really funny thing is why it won't happen - ta-da the snooty and snotty won't permit it.

Clearly, to ensure even-handedness and fairness, or at least the appearance of it, there should be no more than one moderator per carrier affiliation. Anybody got the score sheet on that one? Uh, oh. :D

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

Just my two cents.

Wrong. It's not a members choice in the matter. It's about information management.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wrong. It's not a members choice in the matter. It's about information management.
That's the strongest argument yet in favor of everyone being able to post into all of the various carrier forums, actually. ;)

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter

It's my ball so if you want to play you have to follow my rules!!

basketball-056.gif

Oh well, this is perhaps the best managed forum I have come across so from time to time good management turns into micromanagement and things go on.

Thanks for the forum!:D

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
It's my ball so if you want to play you have to follow my rules!!

basketball-056.gif

Oh well, this is perhaps the best managed forum I have come across so from time to time good management turns into micromanagement and things go on.

Thanks for the forum!:D

Humble...it's more like this... LOL! JK.

pacerball.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It all depends on the reason for having carrier specific forums. If it's for information management, to collate or collect information separated out and stored by topic, then anyone with information or a comment or a question should be able to post there. If it's to prevent someone from commenting on a topic simply because they aren't leased on to a particular carrier and the topic is therefor of no concern to them, then they shouldn't be able to read there, either. For, if they read there because they may have a potential interest in the carrier, and then they have questions, it doesn't matter because they can't post there in the first place, and therefore must resort to posting a carrier-specific question in the General Forum, which must then be moved to the more appropriate forum, which in turn prevents follow-up questions. Or worse, won't post at all because they don't want to look like a fool by posting a carrier-specific question in the General Forum.

I'm all for the carrier-specific forums, especially if it's all about information management and in gathering up carrier-related topics in a single place. But I also think that everyone should be able to contribute to a carrier-specific topic if they have something to contribute.

While not always true, it can be said that the only stupid question is the one that's never asked. Likewise, it can and does happen where the most import bit of information is the bit that wasn't allowed to be presented.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's a very good reason to have carrier specific forums that anyone can read but not everyone can post in. There are folks who like to comment a lot about carrier specific topics even though they aren't with and never were with the carrier. By limiting posts to those who are with the carrier it theoretically keeps posts more accurate. Allowing anyone to read means that folks considering changing carriers, I know, such a rare happening why bother, can read presumably accurate postings about the company they are considering.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So Leo, using that bit of "Logic" should I and everyone else expect non-carrier centered subjects to be moved out of a carrier specific forum and into the general forum?

There is a real reason I ask, and it may not go well with some - maybe even Lawrence.

In the first five pages of the FedEx forum, there are something like 10 posts that should not be there - READ not carrier specific. It seems that if we make this a "fedex subjects to be moved to the fedex forum" deal, then it should also work in reverse.

While this one thread (the DVA system is great) and another oddly deleted thread from the past has made more news than most other subjects, it makes many of us wonder sometimes.

The funny thing is Leo you're squawking about all of this, defending it without rhyme or reason while you, yourself posted a general question in the fedex forum, so I must assume that you intended to make that a carrier specific thread without actually making it one, right?

Not attacking you but pointing out the problem I see with some inconsistent behavior in the forum in general.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
So Leo, using that bit of "Logic" should I and everyone else expect non-carrier centered subjects to be moved out of a carrier specific forum and into the general forum?

There is a real reason I ask, and it may not go well with some - maybe even Lawrence.

In the first five pages of the FedEx forum, there are something like 10 posts that should not be there - READ not carrier specific. It seems that if we make this a "fedex subjects to be moved to the fedex forum" deal, then it should also work in reverse.

While this one thread (the DVA system is great) and another oddly deleted thread from the past has made more news than most other subjects, it makes many of us wonder sometimes.

The funny thing is Leo you're squawking about all of this, defending it without rhyme or reason while you, yourself posted a general question in the fedex forum, so I must assume that you intended to make that a carrier specific thread without actually making it one, right?

Not attacking you but pointing out the problem I see with some inconsistent behavior in the forum in general.

Greg,

Whoa!

You have been the most vocal member on keeping forums relevant to their category and encouraging us to move threads to relevant forums.

Sorry - this post has just taken me back! Is this a fundamental change in how you think a forum should be managed?

Totally mystified this weekend with this topic. ARGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.