Why sooo many trucks

ladytrucker

Seasoned Expediter
I'm wondering why these companies keep putting on more trucks, when most of their current fleet is sitting? We are sitting more now than ever. What is going on? We recently got a message on our clink that the busy time is now and we have been sitting looking at the same trucks in the parking lot for two days. When we ask dispatch if things are picking up they tell us that they are up to 550 loads a day, but they have 1200+ trucks. You do the math!!!!!!!!! How about everyone else, are you busy?
Let me know.

Ladytrucker

mygroupllc

Expert Expediter
most companies keep putting on more trucks cause each week they need to replace the ones that had enough sitting and cancel there contract.

this way they maintain a balance or the revolving door if you will.

alot of contractors think the grass is always greener on another side
so they switch around everytime they have a bad week or month.best thing if you ask me is to just do it yourself.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
ladytrucker
here how it works
ive been owner opp with expedite company for over 20 years,there are always more trucks than loads,here's why.
you can usually fig that 25% of fleet is out of service,25% is under load,25% are in express centers that are busy and the rest are waiting for loads in wrong places,but are still needed as in expediting,you just never know where the next load will come from
loads come from the most unusual areas,and if your in a c or d unit,it will always seem like there are to many trucks,but believe me,over the year,you will make as much money as if you were running you wheels off in the non expediting business
good luck
nightcreacher
o/o Fed Ex CC

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yes, they have 1200+ trucks, but are all of them in service at the same time? A lot of ppl fail to realize that only 50-75% of trucks are in service at one time. 550 loads for 600 trucks is more realistic, tho in the good months, 550 loads for 900 trucks seems a little low.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
But we only sit in the wrong place after the "computer" places us there, then forgets about us.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Amen jrcarroll your preachin and aint even sunday !!! Prime example I unloaded on a monday in the florida panhandle. QC says go to brewton,al. You know what's there? A huddle house, and a small chain grocery store. No place to shower nothing. Call dispatch and ask about moving and they say oh we get 5 loads a day out of there. Make a long story short I finally got a load thursday after deadheading to huntsville,al then the load came out of nashvile. But hey the company didn't lose any money. So that's make me feel better. As long as big brother gets his I can sleep at night.