Why so few ShorePower Locations?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ten years ago I had my truck wired for Shore Power. I was sure with the way Diesel prices were rising it was just around the corner WRONG!!! Of the places I normally travel there are none. I still love it to plug in when at home. Only thing I can figure is that Truck Stops love for us to burn all that fuel. They get rich. The Arabs get rich. And I get poorer.

THE STEP PROJECT | Truck Stop Locations

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Hey, this is a cool link.

You're right, one would suspect there would be more places with shore power for big trucks. I'm in a CV, but often stay at campgrounds--whether down in Laredo or up in MI--if I know I might be sitting overnight, just for the shore power.

Thanks for the link!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With all the anti-idling laws going on, more truck stops may be going on board with this. I was at a Fyling J in South Carolina that had a sign saying that the step project was available there. It was a rather intriguing idea. But I doubt I will see it out front for CV's anytime soon :rolleyes:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have yet to see a truck stop or rest area shore power hookup that charged less money to use it than it costs to run our generator instead. Of the times we have parked at truck stops where shore power is available, it has always been cheaper to run the generator instead.

That does not include the purchase and installation cost of the generator, only the cost of generator fuel. But until shore power becomes available in every location that an expediter truck might go, it makes no sense to build an expediter truck without a generator. Shore power is a good idea for trucks that park at truck stops on a regular basis or that park at the same places most of the time. But for expediters, we just move around too much to benefit from shore power as it now exists and as it will likely exist in the foreseeable future.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
... But I doubt I will see it out front for CV's anytime soon :rolleyes:

Yep, exactly. I've had better luck plugging in at hotel parking lots.

I'll bet too, that a lot of truck stops that do have it out back will have a limited number of places to plug in, with little to no way to call ahead to see if they're all in use or not. Things like this take a big roll-out sometimes to really catch hold.

Here's hoping!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As long as there is money to be made from idling fines, state and local zoning ordanances will never allow for suficient shore power services to make it worth the investment for a truckstop to install the equipment.

Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was in Scranton PA the other night at the Petro, they had shore power. And it was right by the first row in the front lot. I paid $15 for 24 hours of use. Gas for my generator at a gallon every 5 or 6 hours would have cost about the same amount. I had less noise and no hours put on my generator. I was able to leave my heater on all night and all day. I would only pay because I have electric heat. If I had an espar, I wouldn't have bought it, just use the deep cycle battery.

guido4475

Not a Member
When I was in Scranton PA the other night at the Petro, they had shore power. And it was right by the first row in the front lot. I paid $15 for 24 hours of use. Gas for my generator at a gallon every 5 or 6 hours would have cost about the same amount. I had less noise and no hours put on my generator. I was able to leave my heater on all night and all day. I would only pay because I have electric heat. If I had an espar, I wouldn't have bought it, just use the deep cycle battery.

Did they offer a 30 amp service? That would be well worth it in the summer to run my a/c of of, along with the rest of the van. During the winter, I can get away with a regular plug service.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They had the 30 amp RV plugs and the normal 110 volt outlets. When you pay, they both get turned on. They came around in the morning and checked receipts.