Why pay has fallen...

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not only has pay fallen but fees and fines have increased making for a double whammy for drivers and people in general.....

Boiled down to its essence.... the rich plot against the middle class...

Be afraid be very afraid.... :-0

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Boiled down to its essence....
Boiled down to it's essence any clueless moron can enter into this industry and claim the deck is stacked against them.
Be afraid be very afraid.... :-0
I am afraid. Very of afraid of encountering you or one of your drivers on the road or any where in the vicinity of a low overhead.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a problem with the following line from the OP's linked article:
Now, as a line-haul driver for XPO Logistics, one of the world's largest logistics companies, Oppelaar said he earns around $25 an hour after taxes.

I'm not aware of any major LTL or TL carrier that pays linehaul drivers an hourly wage. When I was with XPO's predecessor I was on the clock for fueling, hooking and spotting. The rest was mileage pay. Things may have changed since then but I doubt it.

I agree with much of the linked piece but there is some turd journalism included for dramatic effect.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe UPS pays OTR drivers by the hour.
What the XPO driver said probably simplified I run 600 miles per pay at 50 cpm in 11 hrs.
I take home about $275 per day for my 11 hours.

I didn’t take the time to read the article.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
We probably get paid $50 an hour for loaded miles. Of course, that's only a fraction of the hours we dedicate to this job.

I can see the article now, "Expediting in a cargo van can pay up to $50 an hour". Maybe we can generate interest in the field!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the Minneapolis area the top pay for LTL linehaul drivers is .66/mile. Top hourly wage is $28.37. Different areas of the country may vary.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also you have go pay for hazmat , back ground check, finger prints etc, and any other thing they come up with, to ports, military bases, power plants . they have taken all fun out of driving.