Why my lights and cruse went crazy.

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
2000 Chevy Cargo Van with factory installed tow package. But the power package to tow not completed (just wanted the tow for the extra bumper protection,put a metal plate on the hitch to keep forklifts from damaging bumper)OK, ya got the picture?

While under load Tuesday night to Dayton the cruse for no reason kicks off and I cannot get it to reset and work. OK, cruse died , I can live without for few days till I get home.

Then Wednesday am, another load heading me near home, so off I go.
On the way to consignee all kinda of weird things start.I get out on the highway and not thinking hit the cruse and it WORKS???? I turn on my headlights for safety and the cruse dies, WHAT????????
When I hit brakes my interior dash lights go of and on, WHAT????
I go to make a left turn the big truck behind me says my back-up lights came on,WHAT???????
I pull over and do quick check of lights,try the 4-ways and the thing looks like a strobe light machine, interior lights,dash lights,head lights are going crazy ,WHAT???????
OK, its running ok.... so turn off all lights try my turn signals, they are ok, I can get to consignee. I make the delivery, and go OS.

First thing Thursday am to the garage I use. I laughed and said your gonna love this one and show him the light show. "Well",he says, "there is short somewhere."

NO KIDDING!!!!!!! What was your first clue Jeff?????

So he says better take it to the "WIRE WIZZARD". Ok, here we go.

Wire Wizzard runs the wires and finds the tow light package maybe the problem. He says gotta drop spare tire??????WHAT???????????????? Ok,you maybe the Wizzard, but I am not buying it!

BUT , up in the spare tire well is this bundle of wires for the tow package all nice and neat with a big old bad spot, bare wire touching wire and full of mud, dirt and salt.IT seems when I had tire change and had to use the spare it dislodged the wire bundle and when new tire was put back up in the spare well it put wires in a bind and vibration took care of the rest.

The Wizzard cuts out the bad spot , then opens rear door and along the jack storage finds the connector and unplugs it and says it is fixed. But if I want to run power to tow, I'll need new wires, DAH!!!

So moral of the story is , if you have tow package and don't use the light pack , open the rear doors and along the jack find the connector and unplug the stupid thing and save OS for vacation and the $68.36 for a grand dinner and movies.

;) JJ

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
JJ,

For a minute there I thought you were going to tell us you had a B Unit Poltergeist or something! }> }> LOL!

I've heard of tow packages causing all kinds of problems. The next biggest culprit is aftermarket alarms and auto-starters.

Great story - glad your situation had a good ending!

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
same thing happen to me in van i have to go back and force to where
i park my truck, but it happen on the way to pick up wife at work
at 2200, and didn't make pick-up she had to find someone from work
to bring her home, she called where are you at, and said van worn't
move as abs light is on , can't get it out of park, any way would