Why are Cargo/Sprinter van owner/operator doing loads cheap as 60 cents a mile

Bennyzr1

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I don’t understand how you can make a living at all, not only that, your killing the industry. Its 2023 and Im putting bids in at 87 cents a mile, and I refuse to go lower, dispatcher contacted me and said there is bids low as 60 cents a mile. Why be away from your family, even if you don’t have a family why be so ignorant to work for nothing. The insurance alone would destroy your company, no way you can afford fuel/insurance/maintenance at 60 cents a mile. Somebody needs to slap some sense into the ones doing it for that price, Im ashamed to do it for under 90 cents.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They have no clue. They are part of the masses who think it's nothing more than get key, start van, drive, get money. They don't have the (at least formerly) free OOIDA spreadsheet that let's you calculate all costs and expenses and know what the true CPM is to operate. And in a few months they'll be another part of the over 100% turnover rate in the industry.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Because many do not KNOW how to run a business all they see is $$$$ and don't know that they are running themselves into the ground.
Know your Van's cost per mile to run.
You HAVE to divide that pay by 3 to apply everything. So 3 divided by .60 and each part gos to one thing.
Insurance/fuel&maintenance/you.

Plan on yearly maintenance....
Tires
Breaks
Transmission service and filter
Rear end service if rear drive

Things to keep on the van spare parts
Serpentine belt
Oil filter
Air filter
Headlight bulbs(learn how to change them)

Stuff to keep on the van always.
Tire air gauge
Flashlight (led preferably)
Warm jacket
Blankets
Jumper cables (good ones with at least 12 gauge) get truck grade if you can.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just did my per mile gross, and I was a little disappointed it came out at $1.58 usd

Until I realized that includes empty miles :innocent:

There's enough information on this website to even figure out how to make it on 60 cents per mile, although I don't recommend it.

Fuel alone right now is 15c a mile. I don't know if that's bad or good, and I really had to jump through a lot of hoops to get that price.

I'd even suggest some things, but nobody ever listened before.

Hello to all the old timers

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Planet fitness black card for showers.
You can take as many showers as you want at any planet fitness with the black card membership.
Costco and Sam's club for cheaper fuel. I see gas at least between .5 cents and .30 cents depending on location.
These 2 things will help with your bottom line.

OkieSprint

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm so glad to see other people wondering the same thing I was. This week I saw multiple jobs offered for as low as .63 cents a mile. I've only been doing this a little over 2 years so I'm still learning, but that is just ludicrous to me to even consider working that cheap.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Costco and Sam's can help with fuel but unless you get more benefit it may not change the bottom line. I don't know how much Sam's cost but last I knew Costco was $60 a year minimum. At a dime a gallon savings that's 600 gallons just to recover the cost and no savings yet. I got 17mpg in my van back in the day so that's 10,000 miles before any savings. How often is one of them right around the corner? How many miles/gallons will be used getting to them and then back to wherever one needs to be? I pass by a Sam's between home and the freeway. There's a Costco about 2-3 miles from there. But many many places don't have them and a lot of fuel has to be bought elsewhere. So one needs to keep careful records to be certain they are paying and not costing. The ones who have been around since Methuselah was expediting with the ox and cart, like Dan, know the numbers and know what they're doing. Newbies should spend at least several weeks keeping careful records and noting any potential savings like this, if not months, and then make informed decisions.

OkieSprint

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
How low of a rate does it get when it gets "bad" historically speaking? Have you guys seen it 50 cents? Lower? I am getting loads just shorter distances and lower rates, but still a working wage.

In my previous field (oil) our jobs just stopped completely rather than become low paying and the companies folded, idled, etc.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Warmer weather is when it slows down...mainly in the automotive manufacturing industry for retooling.
West of the Mississippi river is pretty much slower than east of the river. If you have a carrier that is paying for tolls then run up in the northeast.

Reactions: Charity's Van

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
What has happen to Industry . I would never taken a load like that, I ran for $1.75 mile. When I started out on run I would start at $2.20 mile and bring down to where I wanted it to. They were paying for my skill and know how.

ExcNExq

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
I don’t understand how you can make a living at all, not only that, your killing the industry. Its 2023 and Im putting bids in at 87 cents a mile, and I refuse to go lower, dispatcher contacted me and said there is bids low as 60 cents a mile. Why be away from your family, even if you don’t have a family why be so ignorant to work for nothing. The insurance alone would destroy your company, no way you can afford fuel/insurance/maintenance at 60 cents a mile. Somebody needs to slap some sense into the ones doing it for that price, Im ashamed to do it for under 90 cents.
U AINT NEVERRRR LIED!! THIS :censoredsign: HAS GOTTEN OUT OF HAND

ExcNExq

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
Way out of hand! The craziest part about it is I needed one to get me close to home from 20 hours away. Bid on one at 85cent a mile didnt get it! Bid on another one that wouldve gotten me a 1hour n half away at 80 cent didn't get it! Then another that wouldve gotten me straight all the way 10 min from my house that I just knew was meant for me bid at 70 cent and dropped like 9 dollars off to make it a even number and still got outbid!!!! Its some dummies getting raped wide open out here!!!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I think at that prices it's time to find something new to do

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They are clueless. They get an offer of 1432 miles at 60cpm and see $860 looking like a lot of money, and it is when your bank balance is $107. But they are clueless and part of the "get van, turn key, drive, get paid" crowd with no idea of P/L etc.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's enough information on this website to even figure out how to make it on 60 cents per mile, although I don't recommend it.
Would that be the post about selling part of the freight at a truck stop before delivering to the consignee?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would that be the post about selling part of the freight at a truck stop before delivering to the consignee?
:)

Missed that

No it probably had more to do with the 9 years I drove a route at 74c Canadian a mile. Today for example, that's 55c usd

Taught me quite a bit living on that I still use today

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
That run list at 1,432 miles , I would need $2,506 to do that run, plus tolls to.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Costco and Sam's can help with fuel but unless you get more benefit it may not change the bottom line. I don't know how much Sam's cost but last I knew Costco was $60 a year minimum. At a dime a gallon savings that's 600 gallons just to recover the cost and no savings yet. I got 17mpg in my van back in the day so that's 10,000 miles before any savings. How often is one of them right around the corner? How many miles/gallons will be used getting to them and then back to wherever one needs to be? I pass by a Sam's between home and the freeway. There's a Costco about 2-3 miles from there. But many many places don't have them and a lot of fuel has to be bought elsewhere. So one needs to keep careful records to be certain they are paying and not costing. The ones who have been around since Methuselah was expediting with the ox and cart, like Dan, know the numbers and know what they're doing. Newbies should spend at least several weeks keeping careful records and noting any potential savings like this, if not months, and then make informed decisions.
speaking of Methuselah..... you speak wisely.... take care

Reactions: jcoppman