Why a Sprinter or Cargo Maxx VS Box/Cube Van

Ernest1982

Active Expediter
I was wondering why do people invest so much money in Sprinter or Cargo Maxx Vans instead of Box trucks with a 12ft or a 14ft box that is still under 10,000 GVW .... i understand that people go with vans in regards to DOT regulations on sleeping berth .... But, if a 12ft/14ft box truck is under 10,000 GVW wouldn't it work in that sense just like a van? and then in that case you would have more room (box dimensions) for a load that might not always fit into a cargo van....

Just wondering.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have what you describe (12 ft DRW box truck). My next one will be a CargoMaxx or "Sprinter type" van. Why? These box trucks just beat you up too much on the highway (short wheelbase, noise etc..). They also tend to be a bit too heavy empty to be messing with the DOT. YMMV.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I was wondering why do people invest so much money in Sprinter or Cargo Maxx Vans instead of Box trucks with a 12ft or a 14ft box that is still under 10,000 GVW .... i understand that people go with vans in regards to DOT regulations on sleeping berth .... But, if a 12ft/14ft box truck is under 10,000 GVW wouldn't it work in that sense just like a van? and then in that case you would have more room (box dimensions) for a load that might not always fit into a cargo van....

Just wondering.

Personally, I like the cube vans like Scott's. Im at the Load1 yard now and there are several around here. I like 'em. The good ones are hard to find. You need one with the right gvw. Its a real job to find one set up just right with right box length, empty wieght and gvwr. My understanding is that the fuel mileage is pretty tough on a cube unless you have a good wind deflector on the nose.

There is a couple of em here that I wouldnt mind owning at all. And these guys keep lookin at my CargoMax....lol.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Both the post above are spot on. The older 12-14 ft box drw cubes are killers in weight , mileage and how they ride. Their weight can really limit you in caro capacity when staying under 10,000 lb cgvw....

The new srw at 9900 lbs gvw is a nice unit and i looked at them and often recommend them to people...but unless you special order a new chassis you are limited to a 12ft box....

The Cargo max, Ultra and Terra Max all have a 14 ft load floor....i won't go into the gvw argument, there is enogh threads on that, but they do fine in the cargo capacity area...

Sprinters are available used all over, but you better checkout what you are looking at reallly well and it better be done by someone that knows what they are doing, and i wouldn't touch one with having a complete bmaintainance and repair history available before i handed over a dime.d never tell a...I 1st time expediter to buy a used Sprinter.....and you will hear that from people here that own them also....

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I appreciate the heads up ... that information is good ... so what then if not a Sprinter for a first time buyer?

Watch for used 12' cube. You have to have gvwr of 10,000 lbs or less. I would look for a single rear wheel also. It needs to have some sort of air deflector on the cab or front of the box...a big one that eleminates most if not all of the flat front on the box.

I think there are threads on here discussing cube vans. Use the search function. You will find a lot of valuable info. The cubes can be bought in the $10k range.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I had a nice 2007 GMC box van. I had a lot of problems. Plus the gas millage is horrible. Never again. Buy the extended cargo van and you will be OK. If you want more comfort buy the Sprinter but will cost you more to operate.Plus the initial cost.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
That is not a CargoMax but it is built by the same company in Canada. That will be a shorter load floor I believe and that door just dont look like it would last long. I believe barn doors are an option on that style..maybe roll up too. It is a steal $2500.tbough...if you could get it for that. But the rear door is a deal breaker for expedite unless you want to spend the money to convert it.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
That is not a CargoMax but it is built by the same company in Canada. That will be a shorter load floor I believe and that door just dont look like it would last long. I believe barn doors are an option on that style..maybe roll up too. It is a steal $2500.tbough...if you could get it for that. But the rear door is a deal breaker for expedite unless you want to spend the money to convert it.

way to big for me. That's why I shared it.

I keep the good deals to myself ;)

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
That is a Unicell inner city box, not a cargo max,,10 ft load floor verses a 14 ft...the back doorswing up, not available on a Cardo max at all There are a few of those doing expediting, but i wouldn't trust that rear door for too long...

One careless fork truck driver and its done....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk