Who wants to be a......expediter?

G

Is it just me or is there HUNDREDS of new expedite outfits? Everywhere I go I see a new one. Not to mention new faces. How much more can we take? Just wondering.

X

G

your right this has gotta be the largest thing happening in the trans. industry and the worst part is the operating cost today and all the cut throats saying i can do it cheaper it's hurtin time until some people band together and stop it.

G

Dang - I need a life line. H--- yea I see new companies everywhere too.

G

Why doesn't someone start a list somewhere that can be added onto by anyone seeing a new company and their home base. Sooner or later, we would get some idea of what is really happening. Ed

G

I'd go along with the idea of a list of ALL expeditors new and old that are out there. Start with the top ones then work down. Someone will have to edit the list because of duplications, but we can come up with a complete, or close to it, list of " expeditors " that are out there.. Weather they have two or three units or more, we need to know whos out there and where our freight is going, and to whom. I'll be glad to put in my 1.5 cents worth.. ( 2 don't get it, I,m broke like every one else till we get moving!!) Your response is welcomed... " T "

G

Great idea! We have been working on a directory of resources for Expediters for some time. It will be a "Yahoo" for Expediters. Every type of carrier, service and supplier that is of interest to Expediters will be there. In the event we miss one or two, you will be able to add it on your own.

Another feature is that you can even vote for each listing. This directory will be at www.expeditersonline.NET We plan to revamp that site and make it just a directory. Anymore ideas? Please post them, Thanks!

Lawrence McCord
Expediters Online
[email protected]

G

lol..should have known Expediters was on top if it. always on the cutting edge! :eek:)

G

Lawrence, I'll be more than glad to help in any way that I can. I hope to be back on the road next week, 2-7, and I will be writing down every one that I see, to include phone numbers as well. If we, out here can put together as much info as possible, then funnel it into Expeditors and let you do your thing, then maybe we can get a handle on this and possibly do something about it. As Pogo once said, " We has met the enemy and he is us!!! "T"

G

I am a little confused. What are you "going to do about it" So there are a lot of expediting/delivery companies,so what. Why not be a TRUE business, and go get your OWN,freight instead of worrying about other companies.I"m not trying to sound like a jerk, but I for one don"t whine like a lot of other people. When it gets slow I FIND work, not sit and wonder about what other people are doing. Might be time to get your self a little self-motivation.I refuse to have my life, and business run my ANY company. I make my own future.

G

Wholly Frewholly - dude, no one is saying we are going "to do" anything about it. I didnt hear anyone one whining either, but if u haven't noticed the dive in rates latley, u are missing the point. The days of $1.75 a mile are long gone.

X

G

A list is just what your big brother needs to keep of you'all.
You'd be surprised at how many JOKERs at the DOT.GOV are interested
in your activities.

I'll be checkin' it twice, making note of who's naughty and not nice...

your friend,
the JOKER

G

I don't have any interest in seeing a list to "do anything about it" nor do I think anyone else does either. I think it would just be interesting to have a list and perhaps helpful to be able to contact Expeditors in an area that you are interested in or perhaps to ask if they can help load you if you are laying over without expectation of a load. Primarily, "information is power" is the watchword nowadays. If there were a real and complete list of all the expeditor companies working today, I'm sure we or someone would find the info valuable. Who knows? Ed

G

E H sounds like boot legging to me.
Big trucks have done it for years.
Big trucks can't pee with out permission from the D O T now.
Food for thought!

G

To all, my idea of the list is NOT to see who is doing what or who is not, but to find out how many expeditors are out there, in what form, and compile a list of them. Yes, as Ed said, information is power, altho we are not necessarly looking for power. This lis could be used to all of our advantages,in some form or another.. I am NOT advocating any use of such a list to bad mouth any one else in the business, or any company, either... I, for one would like to know who is running the freight that we, and I mean all of us, are NOT getting!!#2, as far as big brother is concerned, I don't see any problem there, as he probably know's who we are anyway!! Another thing, while I'm on a roll and have the floor,, How about we all come to some agreement or concept about the CB radio.. I know that channel 19 is what it is and there is a lot of garbage on it, more than what I prefer to listen to, but how many times have you seen an expeditor unit on the road and tried to talk to it??? How many times have you been in a truck stop and tried to talk to another exp. unit, only to get flak from the bigmouth truckers?? The guys that run power in the truckstops ought to be turned into the FCC. I know I'm going to get feedback on this issue, but sound off if you want to!! All I ask is that you keep it clean!!! PLEASE!!! There are familys that use this forum, there are women that read this as well. I would'nt want my wife to read some of the garbage that comes accross!! Next point, and I know this is a lengthly episitle,, how about we, as expeditors, get together and take a vote on which CB channel would be the cleanest to operate on?? This way, if some one is one the road and in need of help, at least we have a chance of being able to talk to him or her... How about it, any comments???? I welcome all, and will respond to all as I have time to. Let me know.. The "Timberwolf".... PS, if you wish to comment, but do not want it on this forum, my E-mail is: [email protected].. This will no doubt open a can of worms, but I have the capabilty to edit and delete what I don't want. I'm going to past this same letter on another web site so that I can get as much feedback as possible.. The more information we have to work with, the better... "T"

G

Heck Guy, I've done my share in the good ol' days. My contract says I should cover all my signs if I choose to haul for someone else and as I own this truck ... that's the plan, if they cannot load it, I'll sure try. Where's that darn phone book? LOL Ed

G

"Wholly Frewholly"? I thought Ken was writing that for a sec. Hee hee.

Ridgerunner

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Who wants to be a......expediter? Keepin' my eye on you

Ever consider decaf? It seems you have issues. Traffic must be bad wherever your at...............

As for the C.B. channel I recommend ch.45. Noone up there but mexicans.

G

I think a big problem on the road is people like you, trying to seperate expediters and truckers WE DO THE SAME THING!Having a seperate CB station and turning in those "nasty" truckers for saying bad things on the CB...are you nuts? Were not in 4th grade out here, I'll pass on the milk and cookies.

G

A reply to " Van Driver" While not knowing your gender, let me reply this way.. I think you have missed the point that I was trying to make. I'm not trying to set up a new " station", as you put it.
Rather, a different channel for those in Expediting when we are around truck stops, and want to converse with one another from unit to unit, instead of hanging out inside in the "resturants", putting up with loud noises and cigarette smoke,
not to mention whatever else... You know, or at least one would think you do, there are quite a few women drivers in our field that do not like to stop where the men do, simply because of being hit on, weather in the truck stop, the "resturant", or the parking lot..
There are also quite a few people with high moral standards and Christian beliefs that do not participate in any conversation on the radio, simply because of the TRASH that is on it..I, for one, do not appreciate some driver calling another a "MF" or any other slur words
on the radio. Those are the ones who need to be turned into the FCC. Would you, Mr. "Van Driver" like for your wife, assuming that you are married, to hear all of that garbage while sitting in a truck stop????.. Yes, all radios have a volume control and an off switch,
but sometimes we like to talk to others of our business. Sometimes we need information about where a pickup or delivery point is at. There may be that person on the radio who knows where that point is at.. Try to talk on channel 19 when three or four other radios are vying to see who has the most
power, or whose radio is the best.. You see, Mr "Van Driver", there are some of us who are not like minded, as possibly you are.

That being what it is , therein lies my reason for wanting to address the possibiltys of another channel that we, in the expedited field, could use to communicate with each while not interrupting traffic on channel 19.. Probably immaterial to you, but I have received quite a few responses to this posting that you responded to on my personal address..,
so I know from that, that there are people out there who agree with me.... One thing that we all have is freedom of speech. That cannot be taken away from us, by anyone or any entity.. This is why I carefully excersize mine. This forum allows me to do so, just as it allows you to do so.

Thank you for your time in reading this..."Timberwolf" or "T"