Who knew ... Jefferson Davis Monument

Monty

Expert Expediter
I was driving across Rt 70 in southern Kentucky when off in the distance I see the "Washington Monument"?

Figured I better check that out!

Turns out it is the Jefferson Davis Monument

The van looks good setting there ... see the EO bumper sticker by the drivers door? Seems I am the only one who has one .. never seen any but mine.

Attachments

• S1910004.jpg
    S1910004.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 37
  • S1910005.jpg
    S1910005.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 34
  • S1910006.jpg
    S1910006.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 38
  • S1910011.jpg
    S1910011.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 40

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Didn't know about the monument, but got the bumpersticker down. :)

Attachments

• back door bumper stickers 001.jpg
    back door bumper stickers 001.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 25

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is also a monument to Jefferson Davis in downtown Minneapolis.
FoshayTower.jpg

Last edited:

UncleTed

Not a Member
I toured that monument recently. On the tour I learned that Jefferson Davis was, for a time, the son-in-law of Zachary Taylor. Shortly after marrying Mr. Davis, Mrs. Davis died of malaria. Too bad. She was kinda hot.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Jeff Davis was a real american hero, his biography prior to the civil war shows he was a great american and a patriot. I'll leave it to you to judge his civil war choices.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
The Jeff Davis Monument is actually off of U.S. 68/80 and is lolcated between elkton, Ky and Hopkinsville, Ky. had we known you were coming thru we woulda "put a pig in the ground for you" since the monument is practically in our backyard. The monument had been closed for tours though because the elevator malfunctioned with patrons onboard and the restorations took about 2 years. It is a wonderful place for a picnic and to learn some history. While you were there, did you see the house directly behind the monument? As the story goes, there is a small "pond" close to the road and between the monument and the landowners home, that actually has alot of civil war items like canons, canon balls, weapons, buckles, uniforms, the list goes on and on. that small "pond" was used, while being in fear of being over-run, became a dump hole so the troops could move faster and with less bulkiness. The owner of the "pond" wont let anyone near it except family, something about not wanting alot of people to try and bring the items up and destroying the land. Just thought I would add a little "factoid".

Monty

Expert Expediter
Yep .. right there on Rt 68 :cool: ....

Shame on me ... no, the place was actually closed, I didnt walk around too much.