Who hates their Honda generator?

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I'll bet this subject has been beat to death, but a little mercy please. The planets have aligned and I have a little time to kill this weekend and an empty truck and the weather is getting cold and it's time to buy a generator. No ifs, ands, or buts, tomorrow is the day I part with a little cash.

Do you hate your Honda eu2000i and wish you were dead because you bought it? Do you wish you'd been a real man or woman and ponied up a few more greenbacks and bought a "real" generator - the eu3000i?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have had my eu2000 for 5 + - years...could not imagine how many hours are on it...no regrets on the purchase...I run my a/c w/ it...the 3000 are just so big.. where do you put em in a van??
And if you wish you were dead due to a purchase of a generator... Well you bigger problems than your generator....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I have had my eu2000 for 5 + - years...could not imagine how many hours are on it...no regrets on the purchase...I run my a/c w/ it...the 3000 are just so big.. where do you put em in a van??
And if you wish you were dead due to a purchase of a generator... Well you bigger problems than your generator....

All excellent points. Thank you. 5+ years!!!

You think I laid it on a bit thick with the 'wish you were dead' thing? lol

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do you plan on running with the gen? Heat is power hungry but easier to figure out, as there is almost no startup load. Have enjoyed many a fine meal at a buddy's cabin. He has had the 2000i for about 5 years now, no problems. Been trying decide if a 2000i will run a Mack 8 poler cub 9200 btu a/c. Haven't seen anything between the 2000 and 3000.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, if you need a generator for heat because it's getting cold, what you need is an Espar heater.

guido4475

Not a Member
I absolutely love my Onan/Cummins 3200 watt generator. It now has close to 9,000 hours on it and running strong. It powers my 15,000 btu rooftop a/c just fine.Just started leaking a little oil. With the exception of having to take the carb off twice and clean the inside, it is awesome. The problem is, they only made these for 2 years.So the closest thing to it will be a Honda EU3000, most likely in the spring.They are alot quieter than mine, although I think mine is pretty quiet now.Honda has an excellent warranty, and the cheapest place I have seen them is from rvpartscountry.com.Turtle is correct. The best and most economical way to heat anything in this business is an Espar. The cheapest I have seen those is at Cerni International trucks in Youngstown, Ohio, for $995.00 cash and carry for a d-2 unit.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got my Honda a while back. Have had no problems with it at all. If you get one, make sure you change the oil in it. Often. It only holds about a half qt so change it! I wouldn't have anything but a Honda. I think I am going on 6+ years with this one. The 6 gallon tank set up, gives me all weekend running time. I can run my 12,000 btu A/C, and charge my batteries, watch TV......

A little high on cost= free of maint. cost.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Well drats. Best laid plans of mice and drivers. My plan for installing the toolboxes I like from Tractor Supply isn't going to work. I didn't realize what beasts those things are - 118 lbs. I'm going to have to wait until I get home so I can lift them into place with a jack.

Tractor Supply Co.® Underbed Truck Box, 48 in. - Tractor Supply Online Store

Anybody see any problems with drilling holes for ventilation and using one of these for generator and extended run fuel tank?

6 yrs + wow.

No sense lugging around a generator that I can't use until I have a place for it. I just ordered the eu2000i online. Hopefully I can make it home around the end of the week and sign for it.

Turtle - I read your report on the Espar and it sounds good and I might decide to buy one next year but for now a jack-of-all-trades tool is more what I need. Something that can power a heater or an a/c, keep my engine oil and block warm, provide power for cooking etc. I'd much rather face a snowed-in situation with an Espar though, no contest.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know I'm going to like the eu2000, my only hesitation is the fear of Green Acres style electricity. "Lisa, didn't I tell you you can't plug a 2 in with a 6? The house is based on the principal of 7. The toaster is a 6 and the coffee pot is a 2 and that adds up to 8. That's why you blew a fuse." "A fuuzze?" "Yeah a fuuzze, er um nevermind". I used to love that show. :)

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Well drats. Best laid plans of mice and drivers. My plan for installing the toolboxes I like from Tractor Supply isn't going to work. I didn't realize what beasts those things are - 118 lbs. I'm going to have to wait until I get home so I can lift them into place with a jack.

Tractor Supply Co.® Underbed Truck Box, 48 in. - Tractor Supply Online Store

Anybody see any problems with drilling holes for ventilation and using one of these for generator and extended run fuel tank?

6 yrs + wow.

No sense lugging around a generator that I can't use until I have a place for it. I just ordered the eu2000i online. Hopefully I can make it home around the end of the week and sign for it.

Turtle - I read your report on the Espar and it sounds good and I might decide to buy one next year but for now a jack-of-all-trades tool is more what I need. Something that can power a heater or an a/c, keep my engine oil and block warm, provide power for cooking etc. I'd much rather face a snowed-in situation with an Espar though, no contest.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know I'm going to like the eu2000, my only hesitation is the fear of Green Acres style electricity. "Lisa, didn't I tell you you can't plug a 2 in with a 6? The house is based on the principal of 7. The toaster is a 6 and the coffee pot is a 2 and that adds up to 8. That's why you blew a fuse." "A fuuzze?" "Yeah a fuuzze, er um nevermind". I used to love that show. :)

You can run a heater with the eu2000..BUT it makes it scream...I am not comfortable running mine full tilt for hours on end...

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
You can run a heater with the eu2000..BUT it makes it scream...I am not comfortable running mine full tilt for hours on end...

Thanks for the info. Funny thing about "buyer's remorse" is that it usually doesn't set in until after ya take delivery of something. lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The best scenario is an Espar for heat, a generator for the AC, and to recharge the battery bank.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a 2000k Yamaha which is the same as a Honda. They are both quiet and burn about a gallon of gas over 8 hours with a small heater set at 750 watts; however, my Yamaha will not run a 15000 or 13500 AC. I own 2 spare AC's from RV's that are 13500 BTU, one is a Carrier with very few hours and the other an old Coleman. I have thought about using a swing away platform that goes in a van hitch receiver and using the 3000 K gen. or using my 2000 K Yamaha and using a small window AC in the separation wall of the sleeper with the AC protruding into the cargo area and drained through the floor. I would slide it forward when loaded with tall freight into the sleeper area but most of the time you need a AC is when waiting for a load. Any other ideas out there?:)

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I have a 2000k Yamaha which is the same as a Honda. They are both quiet and burn about a gallon of gas over 8 hours with a small heater set at 750 watts; however, my Yamaha will not run a 15000 or 13500 AC. I own 2 spare AC's from RV's that are 13500 BTU, one is a Carrier with very few hours and the other an old Coleman. I have thought about using a swing away platform that goes in a van hitch receiver and using the 3000 K gen. or using my 2000 K Yamaha and using a small window AC in the separation wall of the sleeper with the AC protruding into the cargo area and drained through the floor. I would slide it forward when loaded with tall freight into the sleeper area but most of the time you need a AC is when waiting for a load. Any other ideas out there?:)

I've racked my brain for where to put an a/c in my truck and I think the only place that makes sense is in the roof. But I don't mean the roof of the sleeper, my sleeper is fiberglass and I'm afraid the weight would be too much. I'm thinking the roof of the cab. A nice side effect is it would be a little quieter there than right overhead. Maybe that would work for you too?

guido4475

Not a Member
I've racked my brain for where to put an a/c in my truck and I think the only place that makes sense is in the roof. But I don't mean the roof of the sleeper, my sleeper is fiberglass and I'm afraid the weight would be too much. I'm thinking the roof of the cab. A nice side effect is it would be a little quieter there than right overhead. Maybe that would work for you too?

My 15,000 btu a/c weighs 82 pounds. I have a metal roof. But a friend of mine has a translucent roof. He put a piece of FRP on the roof, and cut the hole into both the roof and FRP and than put the a/c on top of that to distribute the weight. He put heavy sealer between the two. The weight of the roof top held it down, than he sealed the edges of the FRP heavily as well. I think he eventually had to run 4 bolts on ech corner of the FRP to stop some roof flex and leaking, but now it is fine.

TonyD

Active Expediter
I keep hoping this loud generator will break so I can replace with a Honda 3000. Other day we met a guy with a kipor setup. Nice quiet half price. I want remote start. 1382405074465.jpg

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Ah, some were born to greatness. Some of us were born to do far less.

Here it is. My one and only contribution to EO. I suggest we all savor the moment because I doubt it will ever come again. :)

Hondabolt.jpg

The bolt on the right is from the front panel on the eu2000i. Grab a screwdriver to check the oil? No, I don't think so. The bolt on the left is an M6 metric bolt from Lowes cut shorter with boltcutters with wing nut and hex nut screwed on. The wing nut sits on the cut end of the bolt.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
i need to buy a gen so i can have a tv and my xbox so i dont waste so much money on the weekends lol. How much generator does one need for a 26 LCD, Xbox 360/XboxOne, and a microwave? I know knowing about these things

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
i need to buy a gen so i can have a tv and my xbox so i dont waste so much money on the weekends lol. How much generator does one need for a 26 LCD, Xbox 360/XboxOne, and a microwave? I know knowing about these things

Look at the tags on the back for each's power consumption. Add them all together in case your playing Minecraft and want to pop some popcorn. Add another 100 watts for laptop charging. Then add 10-20 for error.
THEN post all the numbers and ask for TURTLE'S advice. I mean it. His bunk must be lined with technical manuals, service bulletins, wiring schematics & cedar chips!!!!!!

These "how much power" projects can get out of hand quickly. I wanted to save $1 per cup for my road coffee. I bought.......
Mr Coffee k-cup maker.
Shelf to put it on.
PowerMate 2000 watt inverter.
Some really heavy capable cable.
100 amp inline fuse block.
Mounting screws, bolts & washers.
Adjustable bungee to hold shelf down where my right seat used to be.

And all this to run off my crank battery!!!! So after I was about $250-$275 deep..,........I came to my senses and returned everything but the $14 shelf and the $3 bungee.

You're gonna want to add a house battery. Killing your cranker playing Kirby or Skylanders would be quite embarrassing and expensive.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Oh generator. My wife bought me a Hyundai Hy2000si for my birthday. Under $500. It works. That's about all I know about it so far.
Oh, it's 72# dry!! Holds about one gallon. So plan on moving 80# around.