Who dat?

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Expeditors for the most part are a friendy bunch. Go over to the van and introduce yourself. :D

I tried striking up a conversation with two van drivers this week in Memphis. Strange two these were. They made me feel like I was one of the panhandlers who you try to avoid. Don't know what they were all about. Unfriendly or untrusting or what? Oh well!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I tried striking up a conversation with two van drivers this week in Memphis. Strange two these were. They made me feel like I was one of the panhandlers who you try to avoid. Don't know what they were all about. Unfriendly or untrusting or what? Oh well!

I have run into a few that seemed a bit strange, but for the most part all have been more than friendly to me. It may be that i'm not pulling up to them with a competitors name on my truck, but who knows.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Van drivers have to be the strangest among us. :D Living in a tin box that has about 4 feet of living space makes one a bit buggy after a while.:p

Brisco

Expert Expediter

I too have tried this quite a few times while on the road. The ones I ran into at Truckstops were quite unfriendly and really really weird. (Panther drivers seem to have been the worst :confused:)

Maybe it was because I pulled up next to them in $40-$50,000 trucks wearing nice polo shirts, levi shorts, and being all fresh and rested by being able to afford to spend the night in a hotel every night in my line of work while on the road!! :p

Away from here (EO), the best conversations I've had with actual Expediters have been away from the truckstops. Years ago while I was still in my Apartment Days, had a Panther driver that lived in the same complex. We talked a few times when he was home. Really cool guy. Ran into an FDCC driver at Firestone one day while he was getting his front tie rods replaced on his F350. Brought up Expediting with him, we talked for just a minute, then I offered to buy him lunch. We walked across the parking lot to this Mexican Food restaurant and we talked about Expediting for a couple of hours. Really nice old man. Don't ask me names on either one, I cannot recall.

One of the biggest pieces of advice you guys give for people wanting to learn about expediting is telling people to go to their local truckstop and visit with drivers they run across. My experiences, some of you guys are a finicky and fickle group. I've learned 100 times more about expediting right here on EO than I ever learned trying to talk to drivers at truckstops.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Expeditors for the most part are a friendy bunch. Go over to the van and introduce yourself. :D

I don't knock on vehicles with foggy windows. I was in a hurry anyway.... posting here is my way of waving from a respectful distance.

fired at you from my Droideka

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
When I'm in a Truck stop & awake and not reading. I'll watch and see if anyone is doing something with their rig. Then go over and ask if I can help. Usually can talk to a person then.;)

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Im basically gunshy of someone who ambles out of nowhere, and comes up and wants to start a friendly conversation. Too many panhandlers, scary people who want something preferably free and will wait until your not around to help themselves.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Im basically gunshy of someone who ambles out of nowhere, and comes up and wants to start a friendly conversation. Too many panhandlers, scary people who want something preferably free and will wait until your not around to help themselves.

LoL... "Do you make a lot of money? Do you got a laptop in there? What other kind of gadgets? Got an Xbox? Bet you carry a lot of DVDs huh? "

:+D

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LoL... "Do you make a lot of money? Do you got a laptop in there? What other kind of gadgets? Got an Xbox? Bet you carry a lot of DVDs huh? "

:+D

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Sure, questions like that, I would tell somebody to take a hike also!
But if one was to approach and explain who they were and why they were asking, i'm sure most would be happy to talk.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
In my van.
Two dogs, bunch of second hand paper back books and lots of cassette tapes.:p

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
In my travels back in the day, and I came across a fellow expediter most were very friendly and we had pleasant conversations. I guess when you're out there you kind of have to gage the individual to see if they the friendly type or unfriendly and gunshy.

Although today while running an errand from Joliet, IL to Western Springs, IL I saw a FedEX CC D-unit, green looking class 8 unit with a white sleeper unit running southbound on I-355 towards I-80.......so I thought I'd say hello to them here and drive safe out there!

*Curious to know how many expedite vehicles I see on the expressways around the Chicago area when I'm out and about or even when I'm traveling are on here on the forums?

I'd love to know what some of you guys drive and who with...If you don't feel comfortable sharing publicly here, then pm me and if I ever see you the the road I can offer lunch, dinner, or a quick cup of coffee, or a wave if you can't stop. and we can chat on here later!