1. Expedite Expo The Expedite Expo 2017 is coming this July 14 - 15 to Lexington, Kentucky exclusively for those in the expedite trucking industry. The ONLY exclusively expediting trade show has a new format and will be more focused than ever before. New exhibits, trucks, demonstrations, networking sessions, educational workshops and the Expediter of the Year event will ensure that your time spent will make you a better driver. Don’t miss this once a year event! July 14 - 15, 2017 at the Lexington Center. REGISTER NOW!
    Dismiss Notice

Which one

Discussion in 'The Newbies Paradise' started by Babygyrl, Jun 18, 2017 at 3:23 AM.

1. Babygyrl

Babygyrl New Recruit Driver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a newbie trying to get into the industry. Which is better, solo van or straight truck? Who is the best company to lease a van or a truck from? I'm in Mobile, AL. Thanks

2. Noname

Noname Expert Expediter Owner/Operator US Navy

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Carrier:
    Tri-state, then multi, was retired, now Bolt Express
    Vehicle:
    Ford Transit 250
    Welcome. The general advice is to drive for an owner to see if you fit the lifestyle and to learn the ropes without investing any of your own money. Later, after getting experience and information from drivers of all types of vehicles who are leased to many companies, you will be able to answer your own questions as to which vehicle and company will fit you best for the long term. Contact recruiters at the companies shown on this forum and discuss their requirements for drivers and information about owners who are looking for drivers. My personal opinion is that if you do not have driving experience in a larger truck, then a van is first choice. Among other things to consider while you are going through the learning curve is that there are no log books in vans, no weigh stations, and my favorite of all is that a van fits McDonald's drive-thru!! You can move up in size later to fit your experience and ability and desire.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 10:35 AM
  3. Turtle
    Chowing

Turtle Administrator Staff Member Owner/Operator

Ratings:
    +10,386 / 11 / -0
    Carrier:
    Load One
    Vehicle:
    2005 Sprinter
    On the other hand, you'll get two to three times the number of load opportunities in a straight truck than you will in a van.

4. geo
    Bashful

geo Veteran Expediter Charter Member Owner/Operator US Navy

Ratings:
    +552 / 2 / -0
    Carrier:
    ceva retired
    Vehicle:
    Sprinter
    all good advice, go and read past post, this is 3 things, number one is a business, number two is a life style, number three , giving up a lot of things in life, as job will come 1st

5. Moot

Moot Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
    +5,372 / 2 / -0
    Carrier:
    Panther
    Vehicle:
    Transit 350 Long/Tall Ecoblast
    I'm not sure if this is a typo or misunderstanding of this industry. If its a typo it should read: Who is the best company to lease a van or a truck to not from. In most cases you own the vehicle and lease it to a carrier or you work for a fleet owner as an employee or a contractor. As for the best company, there is no best company for everyone but there are some worse companies. It comes down to whatever company works best for you.

• Like Like x 1