Which one

Babygyrl

New Recruit
Driver
I'm a newbie trying to get into the industry. Which is better, solo van or straight truck? Who is the best company to lease a van or a truck from? I'm in Mobile, AL. Thanks

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Welcome. The general advice is to drive for an owner to see if you fit the lifestyle and to learn the ropes without investing any of your own money. Later, after getting experience and information from drivers of all types of vehicles who are leased to many companies, you will be able to answer your own questions as to which vehicle and company will fit you best for the long term. Contact recruiters at the companies shown on this forum and discuss their requirements for drivers and information about owners who are looking for drivers. My personal opinion is that if you do not have driving experience in a larger truck, then a van is first choice. Among other things to consider while you are going through the learning curve is that there are no log books in vans, no weigh stations, and my favorite of all is that a van fits McDonald's drive-thru!! You can move up in size later to fit your experience and ability and desire.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On the other hand, you'll get two to three times the number of load opportunities in a straight truck than you will in a van.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
all good advice, go and read past post, this is 3 things, number one is a business, number two is a life style, number three , giving up a lot of things in life, as job will come 1st

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who is the best company to lease a van or a truck from?
I'm not sure if this is a typo or misunderstanding of this industry. If its a typo it should read: Who is the best company to lease a van or a truck to not from. In most cases you own the vehicle and lease it to a carrier or you work for a fleet owner as an employee or a contractor. As for the best company, there is no best company for everyone but there are some worse companies. It comes down to whatever company works best for you.

Reactions: Turtle