Which Garmin Nuvi Model is Good?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Read the comparison reviews to get an idea of the differences between NavTeq (Garmin, Magellan) and TeleAtlas (Tom-Tom) mapping. TeleAtlas is the clear choice for European map accuracy, NavTeq for North America.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have, on several occasions, uttered something along the lines of, "You're stoopid, I'm not going that way."

I have a Garmin 250w. If I'm in Atlanta and tell it I want to go to Detroit it routes me off I-75 at Dalton and then up GA 71 and TN 60 around Cleveland TN. I have it set for "Fastest" and this route falls into the "Stupid" category. Funny thing is, same trip southbound and it keeps you on I-75.

guido4475

Not a Member
Re: cobra nvone5000 and blue eagle headsets

about 2 months ago i have bought a cobra nav one 5000 from petro. petro has made good on their end of the 30- day return/exchange policy. cobra has not. i have had nothing but problems with this unit. it freezes up for periods of 43 miles before it starts working again,and sometimes a master reset is needed to get it to work at all. these are the few of the problems i have with it, even after the required updates downloaded from their website. this is all they can do, they tell me. so much for customer service. it does work well for getting me to a wal-mart,postoffice or laundromat, if that is all you need it for. go figure. and.....another thing. i have had a few problems with my blue eagle headset losing it's bluetooth signal with the phone. thinking it was the phone, i bought a new phone. the problem still persists. i called the phone number on the bottom of my interstate connections receipt for the support center (866-984-9393) and it gave me a phone numberfor blue eagle,(866-557-0211) i got ahold of wendy in this department, and she tells me that blue parrot manufactures blue eagle headsets, and to call them at 800-742-8588. through all of this i have found out interstate connections call center is giving out the wrong phone numbers.blue parrot claims they do not make blue eagle. wendy may even give you a phone number of 877-972-7768 which is actually parrot inc., a totally different company altogether. does any one know of a good headset that has good noise cancellation similar to the blue eagle or parrot?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I've been using the nuvi 200 for about a year and a half now. The new truck I'm in came with the nuvi 350, so I've been comparing those two the last couple weeks. The big difference between the two is that the 350 gives street names when announcing upcoming turns. I personally don't like that. It's too wordy. In future purchases I'll turn that function off. Learning on the old model, I learned to glance down at the unit if I want to verify the upcoming street name. Perhaps its a matter of teaching an old dog new tricks, but I don't need confusing verbiage going into my ears. "Vine street" might be easy enough, but I don't like things like "county road two-thousand five hundred and twenty-five". My brain sees it and remembers it as "county road 25-25". I've also been looking at upgrading, and the 750 seems to have what I'm interested in.

Auto rerouting can be an annoyance. There are time when you do want a locked in route. My unit doesn't lock into the route, so I have to be extra careful, and sometimes to the point of shutting the unit off. It might insist on routing me over that one lane wooden bridge or reroute me to take the Holland Tunnel.

As for the price of the nuvi 200 these days, it still might be worth the purchase just as a walmart finder.

eb

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dude, if all you need to find is WalMart, they sell an atlas for $5.00 that lists every location within a mile or two if the interstate. :)
The Nuvi 200 has helped me find everything for a year now, (I keep the volume muted, though), and the only reason I'm upgrading is to play audiobooks through it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well, after asking a lot of questions here on the Open Forum and receiving a lot of good answers, our Nuvi 750 is in the truck. We call her Gertrude, having seen another team do the same. For whatever reason, the name seems to fit.

The unit is performing as advertised. Having not fully read the manual and experimented with the features, there is an immediate difference in driving that makes the unit worth its price. It is really nice being told in advance of the next turn as the turn draws near.

Before, I was looking at signs and traffic and house numbers many blocks ahead of the turn. Now, I can concentrate fully on traffic and rely on Gertrude to tell me if my delivery is on the left or right side of the street and when my turn is approaching.

I think it was Terry that once cited a statistic here saying accidents happen more frequently near deliveries than out on the road. That makes sense. Looking for an address and traffic at the same time is more complex than just looking at traffic. Gertrude takes care of the address part, leaving the traffic part to me.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Mine's name is Linda. When ya go to select a Voice and Language, says so, right there. Linda. I didn't feel comfortable changing her name without her permission. I do call her a few other names now and again, tho. She seems to be OK with it.

Although, I did call her a goober yesterday. Not too long after that, she routed me to take an exit, go one block, turn left for half a mile, then get right back on the Interstate in the same direction I had been going. Women, sheesh.

I think she's watching me as I type this. I better be careful. I have to go now.

Dispatched

Not a Member
Dunno about Garmin, but TomTom recently rleased to us new maps
which include a new "lane assist" view. Really nice when you're
approaching exits with mutible lane options

dump1232515265.jpg

dump1232515267.jpg

dump442889973.jpg