Which companies will hire Sprinter owner operators with criminal records?

Robinn35

Rookie Expediter
Apologies if I posted this in wrong place. My name is Robinn, and I am a Sprinter owner operator that has been with same company almost 4 years and looking for a change. My problem is I have a felony record for dealing in stolen property that is almost 20 years old (a stupid mistake I made as a kid). I know some big companies won't touch that, but what companies are open to signing on Sprinter O/O's with a criminal record? I have flawless driving record and I honestly prefer working for smaller companies. Any ideas?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Company's only go back 10 yrs for criminal history. I wouldn't even mention it. If you have a clean driving record and a 4 year history with one company I would think anyone would hire you.

If a company requires a security check than you might have a problem.

Last edited:

Robinn35

Rookie Expediter
They really only go back 10 years? I wasn't aware of that. I'm am uncomfortable not mentioning it because I do like to be honest and upfront. Most of the online applications I have looked at have only asked if you have a criminal record, and not if you have a record in the last 10 years. I have seen other job applications that only ask if you have been convicted in the last 10 years though. I'm a bit torn here.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
They really only go back 10 years? I wasn't aware of that. I'm am uncomfortable not mentioning it because I do like to be honest and upfront. Most of the online applications I have looked at have only asked if you have a criminal record, and not if you have a record in the last 10 years. I have seen other job applications that only ask if you have been convicted in the last 10 years though. I'm a bit torn here.

Well even if they ask about 10yrs yours is 20yrs. If you haven't had any trouble since and it's not a capital crime than forget about it. One way to know for sure is to do a back ground check on yourself. Another way is go to your local sheriffs office and get a background check and pay for it. They will do that in most county's for residents.

Robinn35

Rookie Expediter
I had a background check done a few years ago by a company that was offering me an office job and it did show up on my record. But I had a local sheriff one done years ago for my previous career and it did not show up, but I was honest with the company I worked for and they didn't care. The local one didn't show up because I no longer live in the state where the conviction occurred. There are so many different types of checks companies run you just never know.

Hopefully a recruiter wouldn't mind chiming in here and offering their take.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a background check done a few years ago by a company that was offering me an office job and it did show up on my record. But I had a local sheriff one done years ago for my previous career and it did not show up, but I was honest with the company I worked for and they didn't care. The local one didn't show up because I no longer live in the state where the conviction occurred. There are so many different types of checks companies run you just never know.

Hopefully a recruiter wouldn't mind chiming in here and offering their take.
Try ging to the "ask recruiter" sub forum might have better help.

Robinn35

Rookie Expediter
I looked at the Ask Recruiter section and it doesn't appear that many recruiters bother to post there. As for calling I have spoken to a few, but as every company has a different policy I am trying to get some general feedback here.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There are lots of companies that will hire people with a felony, I actually can't think of any that wouldn't. The only issue you might run into is going for a White Glove position at FedEx. Just because a company asks about a criminal history it doesn't mean they won't hire you with an older conviction. I never had any problems with being turned down because of my felony conviction when I applied for CV jobs, I eventually went with Bolt. I made some boneheaded choices 13 years ago and there are many others that have done so as well. I wouldn't even worry about it, just use the option on this site to apply to a bunch of carriers at once and let them decide if the conviction will be an issue. If there are carriers you are interested in that don't use the application process here call and ask the recruiter, more than likely it won't be a big issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Robinn35

Rookie Expediter
Paullud thank you that is reassuring. I was actually under the impression that the bigger companies like Bolt wouldn't take on anyone with a felony record, but that definitely sets my mind at ease a bit. I'm gonna try the multi carrier application on here and see what happens. Do you still work for Bolt?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Paullud thank you that is reassuring. I was actually under the impression that the bigger companies like Bolt wouldn't take on anyone with a felony record, but that definitely sets my mind at ease a bit. I'm gonna try the multi carrier application on here and see what happens. Do you still work for Bolt?

No, I am back to driving an 18 wheeler. There are plenty of larger companies that hire people with felonies Bolt, Panther, Try Hours, and non WG at FedEx are just a few that take people with an older felony. The recruiters job is to talk to potential drivers for their company. I would bet the majority of people they talk to go somewhere else or are not qualified for different reasons so you won't be bothering them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app