Where to start.....

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
I am hoping to get back into this business after nearly 20 years of sitting behind a desk...and at first I am hoping to just be the owner, not the operator. But, I am fast learning that things have changed a lot since I was involved (owned several tractors leased to different companies and also a van that I drove for CTX). I figure I have to come up with financing, a truck, the company (though at one time I did have my own authority, may check to see what I need to do to reactivate that), and the driver(s). Be nice if there was a step by step guide to follow...surprised there isn't actually...as all four of those things are equally important. I think I'll explore the financing first, can't do the others without that...and I'll go to the expo in Wilmington as I'll be in Cincinnati that weekend anyway. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice will be appreciated. Whether expediting or general freight is best, not sure, hope to determine that too.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am hoping to get back into this business after nearly 20 years of sitting behind a desk...and at first I am hoping to just be the owner, not the operator. But, I am fast learning that things have changed a lot since I was involved (owned several tractors leased to different companies and also a van that I drove for CTX). I figure I have to come up with financing, a truck, the company (though at one time I did have my own authority, may check to see what I need to do to reactivate that), and the driver(s). Be nice if there was a step by step guide to follow...surprised there isn't actually...as all four of those things are equally important. I think I'll explore the financing first, can't do the others without that...and I'll go to the expo in Wilmington as I'll be in Cincinnati that weekend anyway. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice will be appreciated. Whether expediting or general freight is best, not sure, hope to determine that too.

Sounds like you already have an idea of what to do...just have to target in.....
The basic idea hasn't changed really..pick up freight and deliver it...20 years gone you'll find a lot of the yuppee type management/managers....and the rates, well they ain't what they used to be for sure....
Carriers out there now...we say they all have warts (bad things) haveta be polite ya know...out on the road we say instead, which way are they going to try a screw me out of a penny....
carriers have surcharges, penalties, user fees, you name it.
You'll also find a lot of snobby know it all drivers and owners out here now..that have "I am special" attitude...just because they expedite...as I said...we pick up loads and deliver them ontime in a responsible manner....the same as anyone else....we still put our pants on the same way as everybody else.....Good Luck...Ken aka OVM

Reactions: 1 person

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks - I think the job (picking up & delivering the freight) is the easy part. The more difficult part is dealing with all the other issues that go along with that. I do like your motto, though - Drive less, make more.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like you already have an idea of what to do...just have to target in.....
The basic idea hasn't changed really..pick up freight and deliver it...20 years gone you'll find a lot of the yuppee type management/managers....and the rates, well they ain't what they used to be for sure....
Carriers out there now...we say they all have warts (bad things) haveta be polite ya know...out on the road we say instead, which way are they going to try a screw me out of a penny....
carriers have surcharges, penalties, user fees, you name it.
You'll also find a lot of snobby know it all drivers and owners out here now..that have "I am special" attitude...just because they expedite...as I said...we pick up loads and deliver them ontime in a responsible manner....the same as anyone else....we still put our pants on the same way as everybody else.....Good Luck...Ken aka OVM

LOL we haven't met any of those, but have met lots of truck drivers that DO know everything in the truck stops ROFL. :p

Best of luck with your venture osumike33 :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks - I think the job (picking up & delivering the freight) is the easy part. The more difficult part is dealing with all the other issues that go along with that. I do like your motto, though - Drive less, make more.

Thanks Mike....It took me a few years before I realized and some other smarter owners kept hammering the idea...

It is not about the amount of miles you drive, it is all about the rate per mile....do you really want to be handcuffed to that steering wheel forever and have nothing to show for it?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Drives me crazy....drivers walk up or even in here...

Getting any miles? What a redundant question....

The question should be....How's your rates?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

The problem I read is.......you have had [it seems] a large number of years to accumilate [something]........and, you are typing right away about financing. Frankly, I don't get it. IF, you have spent a large number of years accumulating nothing, you may wanna consider staying on the desk/[porch].

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
The problem I read is.......you have had [it seems] a large number of years to accumilate [something]........and, you are typing right away about financing. Frankly, I don't get it. IF, you have spent a large number of years accumulating nothing, you may wanna consider staying on the desk/[porch].

I suppose some people pay cash, I believe I would prefer to use as little of my cash as I can and deduct the interest....but thanks for the concern.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
osumike wrote:

I suppose some people pay cash, I believe I would prefer to use as little of my cash as I can and deduct the interest....but thanks for the concern.

I once invested in a new housing devolopment with a very successful builder...I did very welll, nothing great, but made some money....after I optioned out, the builder told me he had none of his own money in any of his projects and that he hadn't used his own money for yrs....his advise was to use other peoples money be it investors or banks as long as you can....if you invest right, chances are you are making more interest or return on your money then you are paying out in interest on bank loans...

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ya well, you folks do it that way in this business and, let us know how it turns out.