Where can I find a "B" unit with Aerocell body?

G

okay. I"m looking to find a "b" unit with an Aerocell body,
you know the new units with a dot sleeper & generator etc.
I want to find one already built so I can see, touch, feel & drive the thing before I plunk my $$$ DOWN. AND drive AWAY THAT DAY!!!
anybody know where a dealer is that has one of these in stock?
or . . .does anybody have one they want to get rid of???
I live in New York . . but I'm willing to travel . . .if
only I knew where a dealer (probably FORD) has one parked in
their lot.

G

Good News.....There is a dealer in Buffalo that sells the Aerocell.
The company is from Quebec or Ontario...I would buy it up their and save my money with the X-change rate.

I think there was a string of comments on the Aerocell here. Search for Aerocell.

X

G

The problem with buying in Canada is
the truck is set up for Canada: Kilometers
on the speedometer instead of miles. It cost
a guy over $1200.oo to get it switched plus
the month of downtime & the mileage they put
on his truck, taking it back up to Toronto.
I talked to Aerocell in Canada & Buffalo they
won't release info on dealerships that have bought
trucks to display in the states. Just want me
to go to a local dealer & order one. Thatr's
why I asked on this chatboard, thought some truckers
might have seen some in their travels. I heard there
is a dealership in Springfield, Ind that has them . .
but they're already decked out with Landstar signs. &
I'm Roberts express.

TL

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Crossroads Ford has some,they are located in Springfield,Illinois
Their phone is 800-593-3673
Good luck

G

I have new B unit 2000 for sale with sleeper. Paid 30,000 have 15000 miles if interested E-mail will give more info.

G

The location in Buffalo is the manufacturing location for Aerocell USA. The vehicles are made in both Buffalo and Toronto. The company is Canadian owned, and a purchase in Canada is not a good idea. They will be pleased to sell one to you in Canada, but you would be very upset when you find out how much the US Government will want you to pay to bring it home. Look up the company in the phone book. I can tell you that the gas mileage with these vans is really good, due to the very aerodynamic body design. A comparison between two identical vans, with the same motor and trans, but with the aerocell body on one, and a different body on the other, showed a 28% better gas mileage when used on the same route, day by day, with the same driver on each van. This info is courtesy Aerocell's Toronto sales office. Jim Bunting..

G

They come with 4:10 gears and the people I know that have them say they get from 11-high 13 mpg of course depending on how you drive.
They are a very nice vehicle for comfort on the road and hauling volume but not any more weight (legally) than a standard 1 ton.

G

laura I useto run a "cube" for an "air freight" company for 3 yrs. Most ford 1ton chassis has a gvwr (gross vehicle weight rating) over 10,000. pounds. Therefore according to the fmsr's you are subject to many of the regulations vans are not subject to. The most notable is the log book and hour of service regulations. You should make this a major consideration before you purchase a vehicle. This is just from my experience. Thought it my help.

G

I find the Aerocell vans interesting also. They have a web-site: www.unicell.com/aerocell.html. As noted, there is a dealer in Illinois, and I think one in Dallas, Tx. I work for Roberts also, and I forwarded the web-site in to the safety department and of course got no reply. Is Roberts allowing these units into their fleet now? If so, will it be called a B+ unit?

I think the main advantage of the vans is the height increase in the cargo area. You go from 48" up to 72". And you can order different lengths, up to 16'. With the extra height you would actually be able to stand up in your sleeper depending on how deep your sleeper is. But remember the slope over the seats. Another option is the roll-up rear door instead of the barn-door.

As also noted, with the height & length increases also comes a weight increase, that, according to Roberts spec's is limited to 2,500 pounds on a B unit (at least that's what I was told). So does that mean the B+ unit would be doing C loads? Probably not, because the frame is that of an E-350, but you can go higher on your loads which I have had problems with in the past. But just by having the design of a cube truck means you are into the scales, and if you are pulled over for a random inspection you will probably be asked to show your log-books, which we know we do not have to keep unless we are haz-mat laden.

I have seen one out here at LAX; DHL owns it. I think FED-EX is also in the market.

Good luck... keep on truckin'.

Eric

G

Hello Eric,

We have heard that Roberts Express has approved these vehicles as B units. They also have a DOT legal bunk, so there is no limit on hours for teams.

Lawrence McCord
Expediters Online

G

Haven't heard from Laura in a while,how did ya make out in your search? Did Crossroads Ford offer you any good deals? Been thinking about one myself,trying to decide between a "super-B" or another
D-unit,have mixed feelings about both.Have ya found any deals on any used ones? Inquiring minds want to know.Thanks for any info.

G

Hello Everybody! I been gone for holidays & just read all the messages. WOW! This site is Great! Robert's policy on the Aerocell is they'll put them on as a "B" unit. but They want your registered GVW at 12,000 . . .so You Gotta LOG. that's the down-side. The up side is that you are legally available for those LONG (over 1,100 miles) runs. . . and don't forget the COMFORT of a sleeper!!! Since I've been driving a White Glove Reefer "B" unit for Robert's for 6 years I can tell you you'll get what I call B+/C- loads. Robert's won't offer you over 2500 lb loads but, you'd be suprised how many loads wouldn't fit on a van but weigh under 500 lbs!!! So, The Aerocell truck is a wonderful thing. For Comfort & for making $$. Plus . . .If you have a wife or girlfriend you want to co-drive, all they need is a class c lic. I've heard Landstar & TriState will put the Aeorocell on at 10,000GVW so you wouldn't have to log with them.

G

Since I've been driving what I call an Aerocell prototype truck for Robert's for six years I can tell you . . .I go thru all the weigh stations, don't have to, just do. Tennessee is the only state that will consistantly pull me around back and ask to see (something stupid) like my medical card. My experience is that for the most part the weigh stations by-pass you. I think Tennessee just pulls me around back cause I'm female, NY Plates. Soon as they find out my husband is in the sleeper . . I'm back on the road. So, the scales aren't really an issue that should discourage you from buying an Aerocell.

G

Does any one know where I could get a picture of what the sleeper looks like? Thanks

G

Another question, Do the trucks come with the sleeper and generator in them allready? Does any one know who sells these units set up and ready to go?
They sound like a nice set-up. Thanks again.

G

RANDY: THAT'S JUST WHAT I WAS ON HERE ASKING ABOUT! WHERE, OH WHERE CAN A PERSON FIND THIS aEROCELL UNIT SET UP, READY TO GO??? SURELY, SOME DEALER SOMEWHERE IN THE USA HAS ONE!!! I EMAILED THE TORONTO SALES GUY ASKING IF HE KNEW WHERE THEY ARE IN THE US BUT HE HASN'T GOT BACK TO ME YET. BOY, ARE THEY MISSING A GOOD THING. BY NOT SETTING UP A COUPLE OF AEROCEL EXPEDITER UNITS IN THE DETROITER PARKING LOT!!! ALL THAT'S THERE IS A STUPID 1TON VAN FOR $36,000.
TO MY WAY OF THINKING THE aEROCEL SHOULD BECOME THE EXPEDITER INDUSTRY STANDARD "B" UNIT. IF ONLY A PERSON COULD FIND ONE!!!!

G

Laura what kind of response did ya get from Crossroads Ford? I sent you their 800# in an earlier reply to your request for info..