When is a D is better than a C

InIdaho

Seasoned Expediter
Want to team expedite but not sure how to decide between a class d or a class c truck.

If I understand this right:

Class d trucks are pretty much constrained to a 96" sleeper and may take the smaller class c loads as well d loads.

Class c trucks can't take d loads but might be configured with a larger more comfortable sleeper. Generally they have a reduced cargo box size and a reduced scaling requirement so that could allow a truck configuration with a lower curb weight and a resultant savings in operating expenses. (lower fuel costs, longer tire life etc.)

So would it be reasonable, could one boil this down to a tradeoff between a less comfortable truck but with more loads to choose from versus a truck that could be configured to allow for more comfort and at a lower operating cost?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The operating cost will be very close to the same, are you talking about ownership or running for a fleet owner?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
InIdaho

Keep in mind that C and D "truck" and C and D "loads" are generalized terms and their meaning differs from carrier to carrier. A C truck usually has a 14' minimum dock high cargo box and a D truck has a minimum 22' cargo box. A truck operating interstate should not exceed 40', so your sleeper can take up the difference between cab and box.

Cargo weights for most expedite carriers are classified as, between 2501# to 5000# equal a C load. 5001# to 13000# equal a D load. Many, if not all, carriers will put more than a C load on a D truck if the GVWR will accomodate the extra weight. The same goes for a larger than D load. Some carriers will sometimes pay extra for the extra weight, some will not. Generally speaking, a non-specialized team in a D truck will annualy gross between 10 - 20 % more than a comparable C truck.

Some six wheeled D trucks have cargo weight limitations below the designated D load maximum. If this is the case many owners will retrofit a tag axle to accomodate their carrier's maximum. Owners that have their own authority are not obliged to operate within the C and D weight classifications when brokering their own weight.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Jim in that the difference in operating costs is negligable.

In a time that freight opportunities are drastically lower, wouldn't you want every chance to load your truck? A C might give me comfort of body; but a D would give me comfort of mind.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If I understand this right:

Class d trucks are pretty much constrained to a 96" sleeper and may take the smaller class c loads as well d loads.

Class c trucks can't take d loads but might be configured with a larger more comfortable sleeper. Generally they have a reduced cargo box size and a reduced scaling requirement so that could allow a truck configuration with a lower curb weight and a resultant savings in operating expenses. (lower fuel costs, longer tire life etc.)

So would it be reasonable, could one boil this down to a tradeoff between a less comfortable truck but with more loads to choose from versus a truck that could be configured to allow for more comfort and at a lower operating cost?

InIdaho,

I think you have it essentially figured out, especially with non-elite trucks (no liftgate, no reefer, no special freight handling equipment).

That said, there are exceptions to your theory. Our big-sleeper truck operating costs are higher than most because the truck itself cost more (higher insurance, higher finance costs, higher purchase price). It is a CR-unit that weighs 34,000 lbs., heavier than most straight trucks. That weight decreases fuel economy. The tandem axle configuration puts 10 tires on the ground instead of 6, thereby increasing tire costs and tolls.

My point is, just because a truck is C-unit, it does not follow that its operating costs will be less than a D-unit.

Revenue-wise, it stands to reason the same team will make more money in a D truck than in a SIMILARLY-EQUIPPED C truck, but our own experience in both kind of trucks does not support that conclusion.

Variables apply as we have moved from one truck type to another, so a true apples-to-apples answer is not possible to give. But our sense is that we have paid no revenue penalty for the creature comforts we gave ourselves in a custom-built CR-unit. We believe we would do equally well in a CR or DR truck.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A recruiter once told me that "C" loads are the most requested by shippers. Many "D" drivers tell me they haul 75% "C" loads.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If what you're saying is true, Redy, then you'd get 25% more loads in a D. That should be enough for most. My % of D loads is more like 35-40%

Phil... yes, I'd say a CR may not be much different than a DR, as far as revenue. But if we're talking C to D, that's a whole different story. You have all those gizmos on your truck. Why? To get everything available. Same with a bigger box.

I've gotten MANY loads that would not fit on a 22', but would fit my 24'. I wonder how many I missed because the load needed a 28'. I'm sure I could've lowered my TYT Index by more than a few hours last year by having a 28'er.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many companies require 22' minimum box length for a D classification. In that case the largest sleeper available is usually 96" and on some chassis not even that big. Some companies put more emphasis on weight capacity so a unit with 120" sleeper and 20' box that could carry at least 13k could be a D.

I like bad analogies so here's one. Consider the universe of available loads to be that area covered by the splash of a 5 pound rock dropped into a lake from 10 feet high. As you add "stuff" to the truck, i.e. liftgate, reefer etc. you are taking away from the 5 pounds. As you add size to the sleeper you are lowering the drop height. When the lighter rock falls from a lower height it will not make as big a splash so a bunch of loads won't be covered.

InIdaho

Seasoned Expediter
A recruiter once told me that "C" loads are the most requested by shippers. Many "D" drivers tell me they haul 75% "C" loads.

This question is naive i realise but please bear with me. Should two fedex trucks a class "D" and "C" that are equiped the same, arrive within minutes of each other at the same location, which truck would get offered a "C" load?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One important item which nobody has brought up is that a C unit will get offered a lot of B Loads at B rates, wheras a D will always get or should always get C rates even though they might get offered a B load.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This question is naive i realise but please bear with me. Should two fedex trucks a class "D" and "C" that are equiped the same, arrive within minutes of each other at the same location, which truck would get offered a "C" load?

Whichever of the two was available first should get the offer first, in an ideal situation. Realistically, dispatch may offer it to the C unit either way because the next load up may require a D unit and they can cover it. If they put the small load in the D unit they can't cover the next one if it's a D size load, presuming those are the only 2 trucks available in the area.

Hawk, yes, it's bad but it makes the point. The best kind and the "badder" the better. :D

Booker

Expert Expediter
We put a new truck on the road last May. It is a DR unit. Since then, 38% of our loads have been "D" loads, most of them reefer and/or TVal. This actually surprised me but we are now glad that we went with a "D" truck. We actually were considering a CR unit.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One important item which nobody has brought up is that a C unit will get offered a lot of B Loads at B rates, wheras a D will always get or should always get C rates even though they might get offered a B load.

With the glut of vans,I rarely get offered a "B"load.,for my"C"

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have tracked all of loads since day one with FedEx Custom Critical in an Express truck. We are offered many more D loads then C loads. This is not always due to weight some is due to customer requesting wrong size truck of the length if what we are picking up. No way would we ever run anything but a D truck in Express.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you're not a leg man or a butt man or something, then I'd say that pretty much always a D is gonna be preferred to a C.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
in fact what turtle had mentioned might be true..in expedite,you want to be able to do the most you can,a D can haul B, C and D freight,but a C can only haul B and C.the choice is yours

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
http://www.truckpaper.com/images/Truck/fullsize/76801803.jpg

If you really want to make the money, buy this and get a larger box custom made. You can put a 32 1/2 foot box on it. Then take the truck to ICT and have them put a double bunk in the sleeper. If they have the room put in all the goodies like refrig, tv w/ surround sound, microwave, sink, and what not. (may not have room for all of it, so choose wisely )

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
http://www.truckpaper.com/images/Truck/fullsize/76801803.jpg

If you really want to make the money, buy this and get a larger box custom made. You can put a 32 1/2 foot box on it. Then take the truck to ICT and have them put a double bunk in the sleeper. If they have the room put in all the goodies like refrig, tv w/ surround sound, microwave, sink, and what not. (may not have room for all of it, so choose wisely )

The Col. would be proud.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
A D unit is always a better choice you can carry the heavier d loads when offered. our D has a 84" sleeper would like a bigger one on the next truck.Most of our offers are under 6000,a few up to 11000,dont feel we lose to much and the rates for a D with tag axel up to say 16000 are the Same so the added cost isnt worth the added revenue and fuel costs for the larger loads not to mention plates insurance etc. also we like the 70 mph for trucks with less than three axels in ca and the lane restriction benifits in many southern states. Some may disagree but expediting with a 6 wheeler is still the best deal around and you can get a 96" ICT sleeper with bath if you want it for as good a price as most of the dealers ready made trucks. Check out the different options available before deciding what truck to buy.