When do roads generally stop icing?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I know it can go into april in certain spots of the country but generally when is ice on the road I guess considered rare and not likely?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In the northern Rockies of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, as the saying goes, they have two seasons: Winter, and the Fourth of July. Last year in the middle of July they had a foot of snow dumped at elevations above 7000 feet, and that wasn't even unusual. The road out of Montana to the northern entrance to Yellowstone was closed for a week. That's a road that is normally only open from May to October as it is.

So I concur with others in this thread that the determining factor of whether or not there is likely to be ice on the roads is the temperature rather than the calendar.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are you sure ...? I heard the First of July .... right after OVM RETIRES ....

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

Naw that's when hell freezes over!

Lost in Space.
Frozen-over-in-Hell-Michigan_900441_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when running down the road you do not see mist coming off tires of truck's or van's ahead of you, maybe time to get off of the road

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
when running down the road you do not see mist coming off tires of truck's or van's ahead of you, maybe time to get off of the road
I usually hear that the other way around from big riggers on the CB. They often say: " I seen spry comin' offin' them tiars. Hammer down." Or: "I'm a showin' 33 deegrees, lets roll." What they failed to understand is the surface temperature may be colder than the air temperature. Also, spray can be kicked up by warm tires on ice or water on top of ice. Hammer down good buddy. We gots a long way to go and a short time to gets there.

Reactions: scottm4211

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know it can go into april in certain spots of the country but generally when is ice on the road I guess considered rare and not likely?
I'm curious as to why you asked this question.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I'm curious as to why you asked this question.
Because I am looking to get back into expediting i stopped last october to work local but now i miss it, and being a southerner who isn't accustomed to ice, figured it was a good idea to wait till the MAJORITY of the bad weather has ran its course, thats what i was asking, i know that water freezes at 32 degrees and i have heard all the "this is how you tell if its ice" advice, i was just looking for a general, in your opinion, date for when you say to yourself "okay now its March 15th (for example)...its a really good chance ill be done with winter weather now except maybe a little here and there." If that makes any sense. I know theres no exact or good answer, just what you personally think. I guess this will only apply to the northern USA states, mainly in the eastern half.

Reactions: scottm4211