when an expedited load turns out to not really be an expedite

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm curious how it can be that everyone trying to cover any given "hot" load is all concerned and up at arms about if you can make the protect time and then when you get to the receiver they don't even want to look at you and tell you to wait, wait, wait driver? You're told it will get real expensive real quick if you don't make it, blah, blah. Ok, ok got it no worries... Yeah I know it happens every day but why oh why? How do things get miscommunicated like that?

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Aha! It's an expedite and not on the schedule. I screwed up the rotation. UAW people are never really all that happy to see anyone but they really don't care for me or my freight at all right now. Makes perfect sense. Hahaha!

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
UAW people, in general, suck. Lazy, entitled pigs. Oh, all IMHO, of course. I avoid those loads like the plague. Once in a while, though, I need a reminder. Had one just last week.

One large carrier is notorious for hurry, hurry, hurry.....and usually have no idea if the Consignee is even open.

Reactions: vandriver2

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I was given a hot load that just had to be there no matter what. When I showed up for delivery and told them what I had the office guy started cursing about the buyer because he had purchased several months worth of the product. They were out of room and they had to store the pallets on the dock in the way.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmmm.... You know, when you consider that they're paying me a fortune (compared to what the bill would be for a cartage operation) to get it there fast--- further that the company I drive for got a cut--- further that any other operations, like air-carriers for example, got a cut, and so on--- you'd think somebody would figure this mess out. But, lack of planning on everybody else's part is putting bread and cheese on my table so--- keep up the good work, eh? If the powers-that-be actually stopped to think about all of this, I'd have to find an honest job.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmmm.... You know, when you consider that they're paying me a fortune (compared to what the bill would be for a cartage operation) to get it there fast--- further that the company I drive for got a cut--- further that any other operations, like air-carriers for example, got a cut, and so on--- you'd think somebody would figure this mess out. But, lack of planning on everybody else's part is putting bread and cheese on my table so--- keep up the good work, eh? If the powers-that-be actually stopped to think about all of this, I'd have to find an honest job.
when people do their jobs.....we don't have one....and the way things are looking they are doing much better...then 15 years ago...

Reactions: fastman_1

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When it absolutely, positively has to be there on Wednesday they do.
unfortunately now more shippers and customers are cost aware..they'll call and say hey $1,000 for a Wednesday...OR $185 for Thursday...do you really need it that badly...

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Too many people involved in what once was a fairly simple process between a shipper, trucking company and consignee.

like they say, "its the broker's fault", we have to pick up and deliver when he says so, not when the shipper and consignee says so.

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Happens quite frequently. As a matter of fact i am sitting outside the gate at a customer waiting to deliver. Had to be here at 0600 et. Customer opens at 0800 et. Glad i stopped for coffee. My favorites are the ones,that they tell us to deliver,0600 et. In laredo. Hardly anyone does anything untill 0900 et down there. Same,conversation. With dispatch every time. But the third party said to deliver at 0600.lol.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Happens quite frequently. As a matter of fact i am sitting outside the gate at a customer waiting to deliver. Had to be here at 0600 et. Customer opens at 0800 et. Glad i stopped for coffee. My favorites are the ones,that they tell us to deliver,0600 et. In laredo. Hardly anyone does anything untill 0900 et down there. Same,conversation. With dispatch every time. But the third party said to deliver at 0600.lol.
My guess is, they have been burned by drivers being late so many times, they figure ask for an extra early delivery just to be safe.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and some just have no brain.....they figure out the formula say 1,000 divide by 50 and say 20 hours..so you pick up at 7 am and they tell you 3am next morning regardless if open or closed....over my time I've seen that so many times....
and some logistics warehouses they tell you 6 am and that info is 10 yrs old...the file has never been updated for years....you call i tell dispatch and who knows if it goes any further...NLM has plenty of customers where you know they just are not open at that time any more BUT NLM insists you be there or be marked late....and then they don't want to pay D Time......gee whiz....

Reactions: ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I once had an 0500 to Laredo. It just had to be there at 0500 per shipper. Yea right. Needless to say when I got there at 0500 the guard said they don't start receiving until 0800. Wasn't real happy staying there for 3 hours where I could stayed in bed at the hotel for a couple of more hours of sleep. Got some detention out of it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I once had an 0500 to Laredo. It just had to be there at 0500 per shipper. Yea right. Needless to say when I got there at 0500 the guard said they don't start receiving until 0800. Wasn't real happy staying there for 3 hours where I could stayed in bed at the hotel for a couple of more hours of sleep. Got some detention out of it.
whenever I see them early times for any border town I am calling in to have them check with customer....I am not busting my balls to make 6am when Pedro doesn't even cross the border till 9am...most of the time it gets adjusted...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My guess is, they have been burned by drivers being late so many times, they figure ask for an extra early delivery just to be safe.

Much smarter to include penalties for late delivery, than to force unnecessary deadlines onto every driver - but if they insist, they need to pay detention when the wait time goes beyond an hour.

Reactions: Ragman and RoadTime