What's the best way for team drivers to split the work

mforrester62

New Recruit
Driver
Things seem to be moving kind of fast for us since we started researching this thing. Maybe found an owner to drive for. Looking good!

Hazmat finger print appointment set for Monday the 6th at TSA for the wife and myself.
She has been studying for her knowledge exam and doing pre-trips on a friends rig. We both have taken several practice tanker exams and I must say, we are ready for all these tests. I am really impressed with her and her pre-trips. Going for her permit in two weeks.

When we do begin, I want to use the HOS to best suit us, but at the same time get all of your opinions how best to do that while expediting.

Reactions: TeamCaffee

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Way to go guys. You will do great at the test. For us we just keep our regular work schedules of 1 to 1. Some weeks one will do more loading and unloading or the other will do more driving. The irregularity in expediting really makes it hard to keep everything split evenly. I've talked to friends who team also and do the same and just split the money down the middle. We've found that maintaining the same 1 to 1 usually balances everything out in a month.

TheCraftyTruckers

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was a team I did the night driving. There are teams that also pick 12 hour shifts. One person would do 07:00-19:00 and the the next driver takes over no matter how much or little that driver drove. It all up to you guys on how you want to split it up.

Reactions: mforrester62

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
My wife and I teamed for 15 years and always stayed on a normal schedule. I did days and she did nights. We switched at midnight and very rarely had any issues. Staying on a schedule makes it much easier.

Reactions: mforrester62

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You need consistency and adequate rest. The best way to do that is to do 12 hour shifts so you get into a regular rhythm. Some try to figure out how to divide the work 50/50 but that isn't nearly as easy as dividing the clock 50/50. I second the motion to do your swap so you each get about half of the dark hours in your shift, around 1:30-2:00 or so probably giving each side 4 or so dark hours.

Reactions: TeamHutch