What's needed to run for different brokers/carriers?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
This is purely out of curiosity. Seems like when you sign on to a major carrier like panther, landstar express, V3, etc, you are under their authority and sign something saying you won't run loads for any other carrier (because you're using their insurance, dot and ein numbers, etc)

So what does it take to be a "business partner" with various carriers (basically running a load for them one of their own trucks couldn't cover I assume) vs being a "contractor" for them if that makes sense?

MC number, EIN, DOT number? all of it? none of it?

pretty sure i answered my own question but i just wanna be sure, thanks a lot.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I imagine a big Hangup would be insurance.
And maybe history. Unless they’re really in a bind, why give YOU a chance to mess up a customer?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I imagine a big Hangup would be insurance.
And maybe history. Unless they’re really in a bind, why give YOU a chance to mess up a customer?
Why give any new business a chance? Why give any of the big known companies a chance when they were first getting started?

But yes, i would imagine from being in a bind at first. Then when you delivered above and beyond, maybe youll be the first call next time they need some help.

Theres plenty of people even on here who run for hundreds of different brokers, ive read plenty about it, i just cant find anyone saying what is needed to do it. And no, im not going out tomorrow and starting my own trucking company, like i said im just curious and possibly would like to go down that road when the times right. If they can do it so can I.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just for conversation sake, back in the day, all you had were new companies. Those that performed are here today.,Others are just a bad memory. So you had to give the freight to a start up.
Today, you’ve got 50 companies in your Rolodex.
Why take a chance on an unknown?

On the upside, you’ve got the right attitude, and I like your thinking.
Good Luck to you.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suppose you could run for multiple carriers if you made their graphics removable (if they make you letter / logo your vehicle).

If they don't require you to to pimp out your ride with their stuff I would have separate magnetic signs made for each of the different carriers with their DOT # and MC # etc so you can switch from one to another...

Of course if you ran your own DOT , MC etc you can in theory run for whoever you want....Get a broker (pimp) to help you get loads or look to load boards for your own loads or maybe go with the big boys too....

Hope this helps.

bg101

Expert Expediter
It takes another insurance where your new partners, other carriers, will be listed as additionally insured. You run under mc number from whoever you got that load at that time.