What your longest layover?

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter
OK some of yall veterans drivers... What your longest layover and how often do they happen?
After every load I do expect some wait time/rest time befor the next load to come along.....
However it seems every weekend I end up spending the weekend in the same truck stop bored out of my mind.... LOL. Today makes my 3rd day sitting in waco TX and waiting... but this aint my longest. I sat in Salt Lake City for 6 days straight. and my first visit to TX I sat 5 days.
Just wondering if this is the norm for the bus or if there other companies that can keep me moving more of the time? It just dont seem like I making the money I should be making......

I'm seriously thinking about trying to find another company that have vans or straight trucks that they need drivers for....(Cant afford to biy my own yet)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Why are you sitting in Waco? Unless you are a cattle hauler, I think you have identified your problem.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why are you sitting in Waco? Unless you are a cattle hauler, I think you have identified your problem.
As far as I can remember the only time I got freight out of Waco was the time when I got to receivers door and they said for me to take back the other part back to Charlotte. After discussing with dispatch who knew nothing about the return load, told me to take it.
I think maybe Dallas would be a decent area.

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter

Dallas is where I was going to head when I drop my load Fri.... They told me to hang tight cause I was in the middle of everything...... I was thinking more of middle of BFE......
Told them this AM I havent seen not one Cargo van in the parking lot all weekend .... not even for fuel...... Asl again if I should move.... no answer.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In a cargo van your gonna sit most weekends. Any weekend load you get consider it a bonus. Anywhere west of the Mississippi you can easily sit for 5 days or longer. A different carrier won't change that. One of the biggest components of expediting is sitting between loads. Especially in a cargo van, because they're are a bazillion more cargo vans than there are loads for them.

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter
I have may a few friends out here that drives for other carriers.... unless they all shooting me a line of crap they all got loads this weekend...... But what really got me is last week I made 3 short hauls bouncing around TX. 2 out of the 3 I had to dead head more than the actual miliage loaded... And I get nothing for deadheading....My upcoming check is going to suck..... They has to be a better way.......

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I have may a few friends out here that drives for other carriers.... unless they all shooting me a line of crap they all got loads this weekend...... But what really got me is last week I made 3 short hauls bouncing around TX. 2 out of the 3 I had to dead head more than the actual miliage loaded... And I get nothing for deadheading....My upcoming check is going to suck..... They has to be a better way.......

Welcome to the wonderful world of freight hauling. I quit the business 2, maybe 3 times a week on average. I don't tell anyone I quit though - unquitting is easier that way. :)

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
20 days in LA, one load up to San Francisco and back in that time, but I was a moron for sitting there that long.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using EO Forums mobile app

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter
I cant be for sure.... but I think my dispatcher has been out driving a truck himself. Call this AM to tell them Any load would do, but I really wanted out of TX and east of the MS river. HE like where are you now? So I told him Waco TX and he acted/sounded Surprise.
While it is possible to both drive and dispatch at the same time. I have seen how fast the load board moves......

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Texas was always a long wait, sat in Laredo once for 5 days, then in Dallas for 5 days...ask if you can just move to a better area....if there leaving you sit because they cant afford the fuel to move you to a better freight lane, well, youll move soon enough to a better company.....sometimes you pay the fuel to move just to get back into the Lanes....waiting is part of this game....I always kept a fuel cash stash so if necessary I could move out of a bad area....most good companys will work with you on reimbursement, but again its better to move into a busy lane then sit forever and watch Loads be given to others because your 200 Miles away....