What van should I buy?

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Hello again. I've been looking lately at some Chevy Express vans. What would you recomend for getting into expediting? A 3/4 or a 1 tone? Any pros and cons?
Also what do you think about a 2005 Chevy 2500, 115k miles, asking price 12k? Funny thing, it has the Quallcom already on it. Does that have any value or I would need a new one installed anyway?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Zoli,

I would strongly suggest reading our forums first. There is an abundance of vans and you will find that most loads are going to straight trucks.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's going to be tough making it in a van. There are so many of them out there and pretty much anyone can get into one. Do a LOT of research before jumping in. That said, would it be easier for you to carry 10 pounds for a mile or a 5 year old girl to carry 10 pounds for a mile? You're the one ton van and she's the 3/4 ton van. It's always going to be better to have a heavier duty unit than a lighter duty one, in my opinion. The used van you mention sounds like a decent buy and wouldn't take a depreciation hit like a new van will. Having the QC in it already just means you have something available to sell if you choose. If you have a company provided QC they are responsible for repairs to it. If you have your own you are. I don't think they charge any differently in your settlements but that may vary depending on company. Some companies don't use them either. Good luck to you and keep up the research.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Ok, let me put 2 and 2 together. Maybe I should have asked this question in my previous post.

I'm not trying to make a living out of expediting. I want some extra income to get financially back on track. I don't intend to do this for years, so investing is a truck just doesn't seem reasonable to me at this point. A van on the other hand I can use anytime at my janitorial business.

I did read a lot of the posts here, and I understand everyone's point of view. Now can you tell me 100% positive that I can't do this? Would you honestly say not to even consider it? I don't want to live on the road, one load/week is more than enough for me. Are you saying I can't get it for sure? If you can say yes to all this, considering your experience, than I'll give it up.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
And Leo, I wish I were just 1/4 more in size or age than a 5 years old. :)

Now joke on a side, thanks very much for your answer.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think expediting will accomplish what you seem to be looking for. Trying to make it fit in to your schedual when you want it to will frequently not work out. You may be ready for your 1 trip but have vans ahead of you. Or, there may be nothing going on that day. It really is a lifestyle.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Highway Star makes a good point: in order to get the one load a week you need, you may have to be in service for a couple days, depending on where you are. When I arrived in Detroit a few days ago, returning from Canada, I was ready for another run, but there were 10 vans ahead of me. The hardest part of expediting is accepting that the load offers don't appear just because you're ready to roll, which means you need to be ready a great deal of the time, just in case. It's hard to do that & have any other kind of job....

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Thank you all for your answers.It so big the diffrence beetwen a 3/4 and a 1 t van?I know that is 10 cent diffrence what the company pay for a hevyer load.My concern is that they will not be so happy if I buy a 3/4 t van....So if somebody have a 3/4 van please tell me his story.Thank you all,and I wish you a great christmas!!!

HoboOfTheHwy

Expert Expediter
I drive a 3/4 ton van,although the way it was setup,I still am to haul up to 3000 pound loads.The company knows it is not right,but they didn't care,and neither does the owners.I turned down a 2700 pound load,contacted the company got penalized for NOT taking the load,from NE Ohio to Chicago.SAFETY FIRST ! One it's not good for the van suspension,axle,etc.Plus it would put me overweight.Of course we cares if you run overweight on the turnpikes.The company and owners tell me it's ok to run it,overweight,it's ok to look somewhere else to drive for.
In my eyes,if you want a van,get a 1 ton Chevy Express extended.I drove one for 2 1/2 yrs.I don't like the Ford van,because the weight if not distributed correctly,like over or in front of rear axle,makes the van shimmy,or wander,on the road.Chevy doesn't seem to wander all over the road,and doesn't sag in the rear end,when load,like a Fix or Repair Daily (Ford)van would.

That's my opinion,and I'm sticking to it !

The Only Easy Day,Was Yesterday - U.S. Navy Seals

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
It seems you missed the point or you have changed directions. Expediting is a lifestyle. Some companies won't take you if you won't be available a certain percentage of time. To get loads you need to be in service. Expediting doesn't seem to be a filler job to make ends meet.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
slfisher45! I get the point! I will be avaible 100 % from my time.The only difference will be ,that I'm not gonna loose my precios lifetime in some truck stop or rest area.The life is to short for this.I will take the load to the destination and after that I will return home.I have a well runing prime business .I will do this just for extra revenue and because I have a lot of extra time...Thanks

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Unless you intend to run local or air freight for a company like EGL, just understand going into it that your "prime company will be supporting driving buisness. Not many can survive with over 50% deadhead. and you WILL have over 50% deadhead doing it.

It seems no one can or will talk you out of your choice. But with everyone saying they don't think it will work, what makes you feel that it will. What do you know that the rest of the forum does not know. I am willing to learn, so what secret do you know that the rest of us don't.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Zoli

Before anyone buys a van that will be used to haul a lot of weight or bulk, they would be well advised to check the curb weight of the van and the GVWR. The difference is the capacity of the van cargo.

A Sprinter, for example, includes a typical driver and full fuel tank in the curb weight; other maufacturers may not. Check with the Ford, Chevy or Sprinter Dealer for specifics. If you buy a used van, go to a public scale and get a weigh ticket to see what your cargo capacity will be before and after you add any of the below mentioned stuff.

A Chevrolet one ton, Express 3500 Extended van has a curb weight of about 5700# and the GVWR is 9600#, BUT, after you add the many items required and desired for expediting, your safe cargo capacity is between 2500# and 3000#. Some of this add'l material may be:

Plywood floor; E-Track and other cargo securement eqpt; wood and mat'l for a sleeper; mattress and bedding; clothing; qualcomm; office supplies and container; tool box with spare parts, lamps, filters, oil, additives, wash fluid; emergency triangles, fire extinguisher; cooler with snacks and beverages; bug shields; running boards; placard holders; CB radio; spare battery(s)

An expediter should always choose the extended van over the shorter wheel base to maximize capability for relatively little extra cost. It may not seem so at first, but that extra 18", or so, will make a great deal of difference in overall comfort. As an aspiring part-time expediter/courier you might not think you'll need a sleeper in which to lay down. Consider that many runs will take you to a delivery point that is not open for 4 or 5 hours; you'll then want some quality rest not achievable in a reclined drivers seat. Also, you'll want to sleep, not just rest, prior to returning home after a 600 mile trip.

We've seen many folks that have part-time jobs to fill in the expediter down time and have enjoyed revenue from both ventures. We also have a Firefighter among our Forum membership who takes a run or two during his off-duty time, so your idea is certainly doable. Your success will be determined by your choice of vehicles and more importantly your choice of carrier; choose each wisely, apply a sound work ethic and you can make it work.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Thank you Terry for your detailed answer!!!!!You help me a lot! Thanks and I wish you A Happy new year!!!!!Z

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Jim,
As I said I did this before as a driver. I agree 100% that any of you have tons of experience in front of me and I understand everyone's opinion.
But since I believe noone fully understood the situation I'll try to explain more detailed.
I run a commercial janitorial business. I have employees at every account I have, I am only supervising. The cleaning is done at night and my actual work is limitted. My main input is in finding new accounts. Besides there's nothing "burning" in janitorial. If something happens it can be resolved in a couple of days, not right on the spot. And assuming something bad is going to happen, my wife can take care of it if I'm gone. So as far as time is concerned, it's not that I don't have it, it's just that I don't want to spend it on the roads. I am available any time, any hour. It's not like the company will call me and I'll have to pass because I'm busy. And let's put it this way: let's pray that I'm going to be sooooooo busy that I'll be put in the position of not being able to handle it anymore. As someone here suggested, I can always hire a driver, right? and keep him on the road. So I hope I made this part clear.
Now the second concern - money. Between me and my wife we have enough to pay the bills. I'm not getting into this to have something to eat. Rather to get rid of some debts and to save something since we have a baby on the way. I don't want or expect to get rich from expediting. But I don't expect to lose money either. Even with a 50% deadhead, as long as the balance revenue/expenses is positive, I gain. It might be insignificant for some, for me anything more then zero would be good. I can get a job, or try doing this. What would you choose if you were me?
It's not that I'm stubborn and I'm stuck with my decision, but rather that after listening to what everyone said in here, I still believe I can do it, considering all that I said above. I might be totally wrong. But unless I try I won't know for sure.

Now something I just thought of. Do companies require you to stay in the new place after trasporting a load? The fact that I'd come home after each load would be an impediment?

Sorry for the long post. Just felt I have to explain...

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Go with a 1-ton extended.

Be very honest with the carrier when explaning what your looking for.because your situation could be a great disadvantage to them or ust what they are looking for.

If you take a load to Indy and they have a load picking up in Indy going to Atlanta are you going to take it or bounce home?

Also this is a more of a lifestyle than a job(a very expensive lifestyle at time).A know people who have come into expediting with more than they left with.The van industry has a large failure rate.Don't get me wrong Im not bashing you or the industry (Im still out here running)it just is the way it is.

Don't ever buyinto the idea that the ones who have failed were just lazy bums.Alot of them worked harder than the ones who succeeded,they just didn't play their cards right or lady luck didn't smile on them when they most needed her to.Good Luck.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Not that I have any expierence in Janitorial look at my handle (name). That is not a business that you can run being away for exteneded periods of time.

You would even consider (trying) this while you could easily secure one more paying account to take care of your financial situation? Thats not good business, if your not serious about your Janitorial business than sell it while it has some value in it, cause if you do this and the boss aint around from my past expirence you will have fewer accounts everytime you go back home.

Whos gona fill in when the employee has one of the following reasons or excuses for not showing up. Child is sick, my back hurts today, husbands car is in shop so I cannot come in, my mom needs me, my frinds father got into an accident and I gotta take care of his kids? Been there done that, if you think your gona make any $ AT ALL trying to do this on the side than youd be a first.