What truck size is best

oldmanrandy

Seasoned Expediter
Been expediting for some one several months now part time.
Been in vans and straight trucks less than 26000#.
Have my CDL learners and been practicing in D and E class.
Once I pass the Class A road test I will be buying my own truck.
Single axle straight, less than 26000# means no HOS, but can carry only about 12000#'s.
Straight truck single axle up to 33000# means HOS but only an additional 7000#'s of cargo.
To get the extra weight,jump up to the double axle,total weight 52000#.
Why not just go to Class E and trailer.
Question: In expediting,where staying on the road is no problem,where is the bulk of the jobs to keep you moving, but being careful not to over-buy.
I guess I am asking what is the weight of the largest percentage of loads that you all experience and when does the size of the box become the issue.
Thanks

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
We've been told by a senior manager of one of the largest expedite carriers that "the majority of all expedited freight loads, by far, are in the 5000# or less category" That doesn't necessaraily mean that a small straight truck will get all the work. There are other considerations such as reefer, liftgate, dockhigh, load size dimmentions, A&E loads, nuclear loads, special packaging or handling, that will determine the size truck that a shipper will require.

I'm not an expert on HOS or logging, but I think you'll find that a truck, engaged in interstate commerce transportation, that is 10,001 GVWR or more will not only be required to log, but also observe the HOS regulations.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
your best bet is get your A drivers lisc,drive team and get your experiance in a tractor trailer,then you can figure out whether you want to be in a straight truck or E unit.
as was mentioned,most freight is less than 5000#,but not always put on a smaller C unit

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You must log and follow HOS in any commercial vehicle 10,001 gvw or higher.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well a 40' straight truck with a 33k GVWR will only get you around 12,000lbs of capacity once you get a sleeper, fuel, etc on. A 26k lb truck? maybe 5-6k. Now, adding another axel will only get you 46k GVWR due to bridge laws. Then your looking at may be 20-21k due to now you have to extra axle weight.