Big Truck What to look for in a used straight Truck for solo or?

TimesAreAChanging

New Recruit
Researching
I have been watching this site for many years while I drove locale for the past 20 plus years. Purchased a vacation home down south and starting to think about relocating there as the pension is vested. I was thinking of investing about 20k - 50k in a straight truck and signing on with a company like Panther. What should I look for in a used truck? Or would it be better to find a owner to drive solo for? I plan on driving for about 5 to 7 more years if I stay in the transportation field.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Drive for an owner for 6 months at least and see if it is something you would like to do. Some people cannot adapt to the expediter life style. Then if you decide to stay, you can buy a truck and continue. While running someone elses truck, run it like it is your own, keep track of the expenses and such... There is a learning curve to anything.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

TimesAreAChanging

New Recruit
Researching
Drive for an owner for 6 months at least and see if it is something you would like to do. Some people cannot adapt to the expediter life style. Then if you decide to stay, you can buy a truck and continue. While running someone elses truck, run it like it is your own, keep track of the expenses and such... There is a learning curve to anything.

Thanks for the info. I called Panther and they don't currently have any Solo availability from their Truck owners. I will try again in a few months when I am closer to trying this. Maybe in September would even be better.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
There are numerous other companies besides Panther. You could try calling them.

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info. I called Panther and they don't currently have any Solo availability from their Truck owners. I will try again in a few months when I am closer to trying this. Maybe in September would even be better.
I would wait until it's pretty close until your ready to start. A good source is the drivers wanted section of the classified ads on this Web site.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are planning to wait until September, make plans to attend the Expo in Lexington, Ky.

Reactions: SWTexas1

TimesAreAChanging

New Recruit
Researching
I would wait until it's pretty close until your ready to start. A good source is the drivers wanted section of the classified ads on this Web site.

Thanks, I will check it out.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
most trucks that are 20k to 50k are to old or wore out,
want a unit under 5 year's old as most company won't let you put on something over 5 years old
there going to run 90k and up
check on here for unit here

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
If you are planning to wait until September, make plans to attend the Expo in Lexington, Ky.

Greg, I live in Lex.. so anyone going expo, I know best places to park :) . My brother drives TT ,, I helped him find places to park when he stops by on his weekend visits. Best thing to do ,least cost, hassle.. park the shopping centers and walmart off of man o war off of either the 108 or the 104... Catch Lextrans into town .. 2 bucks dollar in dollar back. Downtown parking for anyone rolling their rigs ( or even not ) is a major pain in the backside

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg, I live in Lex.. so anyone going expo, I know best places to park :) . My brother drives TT ,, I helped him find places to park when he stops by on his weekend visits. Best thing to do ,least cost, hassle.. park the shopping centers and walmart off of man o war off of either the 108 or the 104... Catch Lextrans into town .. 2 bucks dollar in dollar back. Downtown parking for anyone rolling their rigs ( or even not ) is a major pain in the backside
Thanks for the info. I will be parked inside in the Landstar booth at the Expo

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is good to know, thanks. But for the expo there is plenty free parking right by the place.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info. I will be parked inside in the Landstar booth at the Expo
Greg, now that I know your truck will be there I have to go to take a look at it.