What to do?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My wife and I are working on starting a business that would mean I need to leave my current company for both time and ethical reasons. I can still be out on the road while she gets things started at home and I would still like to have some income coming in separate from the new business. I still have my van which is a 2006 so signing it on with a larger company isn't an option due to age. That leaves me wondering if I would be better off running the multi-carrier model or signing on with a smaller company that would allow my van. I do have a limited ability to find my own loads but I don't think I would be able to find enough CV loads. Any opinions?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You may find the cost of insurance these days to be prohibitive in running part time in the multi or solo method.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Maybe the smaller carrier,plus some of your own loads,best of both worlds. One decent load on your own might pay the insurance on your own loads.Get a decent load on your own and just go out of service till it's done.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You may find the cost of insurance these days to be prohibitive in running part time in the multi or solo method.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

I would be running full time until the business started taking off.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Maybe the smaller carrier,plus some of your own loads,best of both worlds. One decent load on your own might pay the insurance on your own loads.Get a decent load on your own and just go out of service till it's done.

I was thinking about that but I'm not sure if the shippers/brokers would want to deal with someone without an MC#.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I believe your out of PA. Why not look through Craigslist for a TT driving job. The Craigslist in Springfield, Mo has close to 50 adds a day for TT drivers. Local, over the road short haul, long haul. It seems there should be work offered at other places also.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I believe your out of PA. Why not look through Craigslist for a TT driving job. The Craigslist in Springfield, Mo has close to 50 adds a day for TT drivers. Local, over the road short haul, long haul. It seems there should be work offered at other places also.

I live in upstate NY but there are a couple of problems with another TT job. I am currently driving a TT for the same company that I have been with for 2.5 years but the new business will have conflicts of interest there or potentially with any TT company. I was thinking that the hours and time requirements in expediting might work better so that I can be involved in both.