What things do you look for most in a Carrier?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
After being a freight agent for 18 months my team and I made the choice to go back doing what we do best. Management of trucks and just doing what made us successful in expediting.

We called a few carriers and talked to them on what they each had to offer, then we sat down as a team and went over things. We all agreed that honesty was the key thing we was looking for in a carrier. If you have an honest carrier they will pay you on time, and that is very important. Then we looked at brand name and leadership of the company. Was the company going in the right direction, was they looking to help their owners be successful?

We also looked at getting our own MC numbers and becoming a carrier, but why have all the headaches of hiring a whole safety team, when we could just become fleet owners again. We went through the list of six different carriers and picked two that we thought would be a perfect fit for us.

FedEx Custom Critcal was our choice because it was where I started, and because they shared with us about the new load board that was coming out in six months. The other carrier only had one thing that I didn't care for. The fuel card they use wasn't setup to use Travel Centers of America.

So what do you look for in a carrier?

Reactions: Moot

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Being a fleet owner, I look at it strictly from a business standpoint. No different than other ventures I am involved in. It is a total package. Transparency, consistently above industry revenue, and programs that enhance the drivers relationship with the carrier. In no particular order. If one for example can't get above "industry average revenue", then realistically, they aren't better then any of the other carriers.
The more simple you look at the questions, the more real the answers.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
The things I look most for in a carrier.

1. How long have they been in business.
2. Do they pay on time and in full.
3. Can they get loads and secure loads.
4. How do they treat there O/O and there employees.

My carrier does all the things and has all the things that I'm looking for in a company. I fully believe and know that I've got the BEST owner in the business period!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If one for example can't get above "industry average revenue", then realistically, they aren't better then any of the other carriers.
As a one man, one van operation, I must respectfully disagree with you. Above "industry average revenue" is certainly a good thing but it isn't the only criteria that makes one carrier better than any of the other carriers. You have trucks on with two carriers that I'm aware of. One carrier I would consider an "industry average revenue" carrier, the other an above "industry average revenue" carrier. I'm sure your reasons for splitting your fleet go beyond the "all eggs in one basket" theory.

For me as the one van, one man operation I prefer a large carrier that has a diverse customer base. Although a diverse customer base, more and more, means a variety of 3PLs.

I prefer a large carrier where I am but a number, not a name. I can get lost in the crowd. The carrier doesn't have any allegiance to me, nor I to them. This may sound contrary to recruiting ads and popular beliefs but after 19 years in this industry I find this is the best route for me and for keeping my sanity somewhat stable. To each his own!:pigeon:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As a one man, one van operation, I must respectfully disagree with you. Above "industry average revenue" is certainly a good thing but it isn't the only criteria that makes one carrier better than any of the other carriers. You have trucks on with two carriers that I'm aware of. One carrier I would consider an "industry average revenue" carrier, the other an above "industry average revenue" carrier. I'm sure your reasons for splitting your fleet go beyond the "all eggs in one basket" theory.

For me as the one van, one man operation I prefer a large carrier that has a diverse customer base. Although a diverse customer base, more and more, means a variety of 3PLs.

I prefer a large carrier where I am but a number, not a name. I can get lost in the crowd. The carrier doesn't have any allegiance to me, nor I to them. This may sound contrary to recruiting ads and popular beliefs but after 19 years in this industry I find this is the best route for me and for keeping my sanity somewhat stable. To each his own!:pigeon:

Very true. That is why I mentioned several. That in of itself wouldn't be the deciding factor, but a carrier has to support a revenue stream to operate profitably. All the niceties that could be provided, mean little if a truck is running in the red. That is what I was referring. Large carriers have their advantages. Certainly seeing it now when things are slow. The comparisons are off the chart. Large carrier is keeping us running very steady at decent rates. That is what I look at. I'm so simple. :D

Reactions: Bruno and Moot

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Absolutely Moot....Being "friends" or "friendly" make you no more money In my experience it costs you money because you can tend to make bad business decisions on your part, great for the carrier as they get the load covered and make their money,,,because you felt sorry for them or felt you owed them one, you took a marginal load that should have been refused.....because so and so is a nice guy does not make good business...
I contract for a very nice couple now....one day things might change and we might part company...buts just business not personal...as the owner is responsible for his or her carrier, YOU are responsible for the profitable operation of your business... if they fail to perform or no longer fit the criteria for your operation....time to shake hands and move on....

Reactions: Bruno and artie