"What they left out of the Panther manual and orientation"

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
The below is what I learned within my first 90 days, its MY take and experience... a sort of guide for "newbie" solo van drivers with Panther. If you add this info in with what your spoon fed at orientation and whats written in the driver handbook you will at least go in with your eyes wide open.

-The 16 hour Clock-
In orientation it's mentioned that your clock starts when you head to the shipper, that statement is a bit misleading...
Know your clock! Your clock starts anytime you move the van and will not reset until the van is still again for a full 5 hour period. So if you get a burger craving at around 1pm or need to move to a different parking spot you've started your clock and it will not reset until around 6pm, if your offered a load at 3pm that has over 14 hours total time behind it total you cannot take it. It will be swapped if its a longer mile load. Plan your trips and pay close attention to your clock.

-First outs-
These are completely worthless in my opinion and from my experience. They can work against you not for you. I say avoid at all costs, they most times have already cost you of you have one...
You have either had a dry run or a mini that day so your clock has ticked since start of that run.. By now you don't have enough hours and it's prime time where the longer mile runs are being dispersed but you cannot take one or won't even be offered one because your clock won't allow unless you've luckily had the whole 5 hours to reset it in there somewhere.

-Dry runs-
So you get up at 7am and arrive at the shipper in OH and find out that the other location they own in MS has the parts and that some brainiac who booked the load made an oops. Well guess what? It just cost you $35 in gas but hey it's okay we will pay you a flat $50 for the dry run. Oh wait your a driver on a 60/40? Well you paid the $45 in gas to get there per your contract but your only getting $ 30 for the run (your 60%). You just lost $15 even with .19 DH added in your barely even. Plus there went your clock! The good news? Hey you've now got a first out! Well wait, that's basically worthless remember!

-Board Position-
1,2,3,4 No not so fast!
It's not that simple...
Let's just pretend Your #4 of 4 vans, the daily average is 4 loads so your thinking you'll get out today.
However...
Four more vans come onto the board a couple hours later, total of 8 vans
Three trucks are pulled beneath your position, they must be closer to the freight...
Your still #4 but now of 5
A team comes in...
Your still # 4 but of 6 Now
Team goes out from all the way down at position 6 (this occurs ALOT) (must have been a long run with a lot of miles!)
Your STILL #4
Well it's now past 7pm and all four loads have gone out for day, better luck tomorrow.
Then next day two first outs come in and for darned once they are actually sent out 1st!
Rinse repeat you get the idea!
Not a 1st in 1st out carrier? Sometimes yes sometimes no?
So let's forget board position, it's really location location luck location and team location that matter most!
Why not just have a board without any numbers on it at all, might as well

-Macro 8-
Fleet repositioning, for instance this macro shows there's 2 trucks in Atlanta for a 12 day average so you should assume its a super great idea to relocate there or Get an EM... However doing this may still result in the board position system above if you do not choose your spot to sit wisely and accordingly. Plan ahead and refer to your magic 8 ball.

-Empty Moves-
If your a driver on 60/40 this will cost you so choose wisely. It Does not cover current gas prices only a percentage then from what you are paid 40% of that will go to the van owner. Good only when needed, not for each time you have to sit for a day. Driver relations thinks this is the answer for everything.. They will try to send you to the Indianapolis board whether you need it or not, then you could still end up siting there just as long taking the back seat to team preference while taking the hose on the extra gas costs.

-Acceptance-
Tricky, tricky ... They will convince you in orientation that the higher the acceptance rate the better chance of load offers you will receive. I'm not a supporter of this and find that sometimes if you except everything you will become the come to dummy for everything...everything meaning the unprofitable loads no one with an ounce of experience would bother with...loads either going to a bad location BFE or starting clock for a mini and losing out on a longer run may occur.
Pay attention to the details of the load offers, map them out, pre plan your move for after...Make sure they are profitable for you too.

- Detention time-
Load offer comes in at 8 am for a
12 pm Scheduled p/u the dispatcher says its ready now though. You jump through hoops to get there ASAP as expected only to yet again find an irritated shipper that specifically said the parts will not be ready til 12.
You sit 9-12 waiting and WIthOUt detention pay because guess what detention pay doesn't kick in until 2 hours AFTER the SCHEDULED pick up or delivery. Plus your clock is being wasted! The Load is "READY NOW" is Good trick to get free time out of a drivers day ...the" It's ready now" needs to be verified BEFORE starting your clock.

-Deadhead -
You are only paid DH to the shipper. Therefore any an all deadhead you drive from the consignee is completely on your dime
Another reason to always look ahead and pre plan your trips. This can add up fast and put a huge dent in your bottom line. Let's say for instance your fuel per mile runs around .22, if you drive 100 miles after POD you just spent $22 of your profit. Make sure the moves you choose to make are stacking up against the costs associated.

-The Spotlight Account-
Watch for this message... Usually means its gonna be a headache of a load one way or another, lol you'll find out why or PM me if you would like greater detail on this subject...

The current driver handbook also says..."senior drivers are occasionally full of crap, don't believe the negatives"...
I have found this to be incorrect they usually have a more positive ( glass half full) and a more patient and solid outlook then the newer more confused drivers have...
Ask them questions I have found they can be a wealth of information.
Just make sure your questions are specific and well poised so they don't come across as whining or laziness of not doing your own research first.

Hopefully this post will answer some common questions of how things really are between the lines and be an unsugarcoated help to someone else who's starting out in expedite with Panther.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Embrace the stupidity.

That is pretty close to reality. Either embrace it or in our case, totally ignore it. Can't say much on the 16 hour bit as we have no experience with it. First outs, board positions have no real value.
Want a short run done? Money talks. Same with DH. As with any run, we give them a price and they say yes or no. It would be understood that vans will have less flexibility because there are so many of them.
On EM's that is owner contract specific. We pay 100 percent on that so there is no split.
As for acceptance ratings, don't pay any attention to it. Only interesting in runs that are profitable.
We are a business, not a favor mill. That doesn't mean we wouldn't help them out, but we won't be abused either.
As for detention, you are provided the shippers number. Call them prior to departure so that eliminates excessive waiting. A Lot of shippers say "its ready now". Maybe 50 percent of time.
We just go by the appointment time.
This is a courtesy piece provided by a senior fleet owner who may be full of ?:cool:

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
These are actually pretty good points to be made at most carriers. Some will hold to the board position better than others...but make no mistake about it. If the load needs to get on a truck quick...and your the closest truck, you'll get that load.

Many things go into getting a grip on this business. Those who listen and learn have a chance.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You have been chosen to run this Spotlight Account.....

That's the "Butter Me Up" screen. You just know the next screen is gonna be pure crap.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
To me spotlight account means usually the DOT will be picking me for an overweight conference.

Sent from my VS920 4G using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Its equal to "really important customer". Spotlight just puts so much more spin on it though...lol. If I ever become a dispatcher, I'll be using that one.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah the "Spotlight account" truly is most humorous... Not one that I had been "selected" for came off without need of major Advil afterwards! Many turn into some real tales..
I started simply laughing and saying no to them unless theres some serious miles involved.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The below is what I learned within my first 90 days, its MY take and experience... a sort of guide for "newbie" solo van drivers with Panther.

Excellent post Newt! For what it is worth your experience mirrors mine. Except I never attended an orientation class and have never set foot on Panther property. I did read the large print, less than three syllables per word version of the Panther Handbook while sitting down in a Flying J men's room.

Your post should be a must read for all Panther drivers, newbies and veterans alike. Knowing what you are actually dealing with can make the difference between being successful or not. If Panther was less ambiguous regarding their policies and rules more drivers would succeed and there would be less turnover. But, I don't believe that is in their business plan. Panther has become the Swift Transportation of the expedite industry, a revolving door where the cash register always sings whether a driver stays for 5 days or 5 years.

Either embrace it or in our case, totally ignore it.

Dave, I've got to disagree with you on this one. If one embraces the stupidity, one can learn to use the stupidity to one's advantage. I'm sure you have been doing this for years but have so fully embrace the stupidity that it has become second nature.

I started simply laughing and saying no to them unless theres some serious miles involved.

How about changing the "serious miles" to read serious dollars. It ain't about miles! When you grasp the concept of miles vs. dollars and truly understand that there is a difference, then you are no longer a newbie. Please continue to post, especially your experiences during your first 90 days. If anyone should come across Sluggo in their travels, smack him upside the head and tell him he needs to post more often. This fresh, first hand information from newbies is of much more value and more accurate to people starting out or about to start out in this industry than just about anything a veteran can say.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Every carrier has warts. The job of the expediter is to find the carrier with the warts (s)he can tolerate.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think there are some differences. In this case you are basing experiences on driving a van which are different than straights or tractors. In fact, they are much different.
The biggest one of course is volume. A ton of a vans and a shortage of straights and tractors.
We have that option as to whether we want to embrace or ignore the stupidity

Last edited:

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Amazing!! I just signed on a fleet owner with the same complaints about the company he just left. Except he learned to deal with it, however after he received his 1st settlement after waiting 3 weeks for it their was a page of violations and fines for violating the "clock" , not submitting ppwk within 24hrs, etc,etc. So sad, when a carrier bases their revenue on screwing the one person making them money, LMAO. He mentioned it took almost a full day after receiving his settlement just to figure out all the effort they put into confusing him on his pay after all the deductions and fines and additional charges for things not listed in his contract or I should say the "fine print". Is that why most companies have a 200% turnover rate?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Amazing!! I just signed on a fleet owner with the same complaints about the company he just left. Except he learned to deal with it, however after he received his 1st settlement after waiting 3 weeks for it their was a page of violations and fines for violating the "clock" , not submitting ppwk within 24hrs, etc,etc. So sad, when a carrier bases their revenue on screwing the one person making them money, LMAO. He mentioned it took almost a full day after receiving his settlement just to figure out all the effort they put into confusing him on his pay after all the deductions and fines and additional charges for things not listed in his contract or I should say the "fine print". Is that why most companies have a 200% turnover rate?

I have never heard of a company that fines on a "clock" violation. If these are independent contractors, I see some problems with that practice. Fines for late paperwork would also be a problem. Not sure who this carrier is but it isn't Panther.
Poor management policies will always do these companies in at some point.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have never heard of a company that fines on a "clock" violation. If these are independent contractors, I see some problems with that practice. Fines for late paperwork would also be a problem. Not sure who this carrier is but it isn't Panther.
Poor management policies will always do these companies in at some point.

I know what carrier does that Dave....;)