what the

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well panther riddle me this deliv. Tyler tx am there was a screw up w/qc got that lined out sat at 571 truk. Stp.exit571 was on the dallas board pos.4 moved 9 mi closer to dallas to take a shower at ex.562 when i came out they moved me to the houston board 200 miles away in pos 3 how does this sys. Work im 90 mi. To dallas 200 to houston is there some one at panther that can explain this one to me because the dr. Relations people cant thanks ttruc

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
How are you getting your distances?
You might want to logon to the drivers web page and look at your sat pos, this could be your first clue. You might want to reset your q/c if the position is way off.

Another way is to use the reposition macro (8) and see what your distances are from whatever boards it shows.

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
I wouldn't worry about it to much. Not sure board or positons matter. If your close enough to the load or they feel like giving you a load then you get one. :D

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Board position means nothing here at Panther. Teams come first, then solo. Solos need to strike Panther.:cool:

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Board position means nothing here at Panther. Teams come first, then solo. Solos need to strike Panther.:cool:

its time for the solos to STRIKE Panther. It certainly is getting close for me to move on. The writing is on the wall so to speak.:mad:

2 times today you have spoke of a STRIKE for solo drivers..some of us are doing rather well as solos, are you offering Panther anything other than a simple solo driver in a dry van...do you have haz-mat, twic, pads and lots of straps..extra load bars..do you run Canada, are you willing to run east coast?
Everyone here is in charge of their on destiny(sucess or failure)..if someting is not going the way you planned it..sit back and see why, and what you can do to change it..instead of complaining about board position and being solo..do something to change your situation..and by the way Panther is not GM, Ford or any other company that owes us anything, so therefor striking will do nothing and will never happen..you are the only one that can change your situation.

Last edited:

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Just took a load of plastic pellets from Indiana to Laredo for Whirlpool, Mexico. Thirty some years ago I worked at the Indiana Whirlpool plant. They had four plants and 10,000 employees in Evansville. They also had a strike every three years. Yesterdeay, while enroute to Laredo, I passed their former refrigerator plant on US 41. There sure is a lot more available parking now. I suppose security and demolition crews don't need as much parking as we did way back then. Their departure is not all entirely due to strikes, much of it is because our leaders choose to allow our jobs to be deported and the good we used to make to be imported without any fees or duties. I was in a shoe store last month and all I saw was "Made In China" stamped inside the various brands. Told my wife "Thank God for the Chinese or we would all be barefooted."

I was taught many years ago that one new manufacturing job created seven total jobs within the community. Conversely each lost manufacturing job costs the community seven jobs.

Strikes create problems for everyone, especially the company. When faced with a problem, solutions are found. Some are not always happy ones. BEWARE OF WHAT YOU ASK FOR, YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Expediters who talk about unions and strikes have a union mentality, where "the man" owes them something. It's right out of the Karl Marx Playbook. But the bigger problem of have a union mentality is that they have an employee mentality, and having an employee mentality while being an independent contractor is the number one barrier to success.

As an employee, every decision that gets made comes from the basis of "What are they doing for me?" While as an independent contractor every decision that gets made comes from "What am I doing for me?"

Some carriers are simply not a good fit for some drivers, and rather than find a carrier that is the best fit, they talk "strike" in order to force the carrier to change to fit them. This is the clearest indication I know of that they do not have a clue about the business they are in, nor their place within it. Some can hang on for a year or two, sometimes even more, but they will never be happy, or successful, as an expediter.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree. The employee mentality has done quite a few in.
"Businessman first, driver second".

eggd1ver

Seasoned Expediter
What you want to do is be pro active and run board position after you arrive so you know were your at. If you don't like were your at then move. I'll tell you if your in charlotte NC you move to the rest area just inside SC which is 10 miles from charlotte you will find yourself on the columbia sc board. Take care of your biss. and be pro active

RICHARD & IDA PARKER
PANTHER DRIVERS 06/08/09

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
2 times today you have spoke of a STRIKE for solo drivers..some of us are doing rather well as solos, are you offering Panther anything other than a simple solo driver in a dry van...do you have haz-mat, twic, pads and lots of straps..extra load bars..do you run Canada, are you willing to run east coast?
Everyone here is in charge of their on destiny(sucess or failure)..if someting is not going the way you planned it..sit back and see why, and what you can do to change it..instead of complaining about board position and being solo..do something to change your situation..and by the way Panther is not GM, Ford or any other company that owes us anything, so therefor striking will do nothing and will never happen..you are the only one that can change your situation.

Let's see, 10 load bars, 10 pads, pallet jack, dock plate, 100% on time, acceptance and safety. Dock high straight try. Been as far south in Manhatten as you go. Been as remote as you can get. Dh & em is 40% of total miles. I think I give quite well. If you don't think it is becoming a team world at panther, time to get out of the bubble. When was the last time you sat down to dinner with a couple of teams, been #1 on a board for days, and during dinner all 3 teams get loads under 600 miles. I assure you, that is not the only incident. For those who think "strike" is employee based, why don't you think outside the box. There are various tools available to us all to accomplish different tasks for the betterment of many.
Read the current minutes from the driver councils meeting. I am not the only one having issues with panther.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

Oh forgot, yes I do have hazmat, twic, and passport. I live on the east coast and run a lot to Long Island, MA,NH, MA, CT, VT, PA and MD. In fact last winter I just about lived north of I80.
I might also add, since 1979, I have started 3 different companies from scratch, became very successful companies. Sold them all. I think I know little bit about business. One thing that no one here has mentioned, a company does have responsibilities to its employees and contractors. It DOES owe them. It owes them no less than fairness, respect and the truth. If a company is continually fair equally to all, it has a better chance of success and less turn over and less recruiting and training costs. That is something Sylvania proved in the 50's.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Let's see, 10 load bars, 10 pads, pallet jack, dock plate, 100% on time, acceptance and safety.
They don't care. They make no attempt to track driver performance beyond about 2 months, and as such make no effort to differentiate between good and bad drivers. All drivers are treated to the lowest common denominator, a.k.a., the bad driver who is likely to screw up.

If you don't think it is becoming a team world at panther, time to get out of the bubble.
If you're just now coming to that realization, welcome to outside the bubble. Straight truck teams are royalty to an expedite carrier. Always have been.

When was the last time you sat down to dinner with a couple of teams, been #1 on a board for days, and during dinner all 3 teams get loads under 600 miles.
I can't recall ever sitting down to dinner with 2 teams and then having 3 of them get loads of any kind. I'm in a van and I have sat in places like Laredo for days and then watched straight trucks, both solo and teams, get loaded out with a single skid after having delivered their load mere hours before.

For those who think "strike" is employee based, why don't you think outside the box. There are various tools available to us all to accomplish different tasks for the betterment of many.
Which box is that? The box where a carrier is not required in any shape or form to bargain in good faith with independent contractors? The box that allows carriers to choose whichever independent contractors they feel like, and if you tell them you won't haul freight unless they change how they do business, they'll tell you that's fine with them? That box? The one where if you go on strike all the carrier has to do is never call you again for a load? They aren't required to, you know. The contract you signed states very plainly that they make no guarantees that they will ever offer you a load.

Read the current minutes from the driver councils meeting. I am not the only one having issues with panther.
Driver Council Minutes have quite a nifty little history of "action items" that are not addressed in any way unless they benefit the carrier with direct, immediate results.

Many of those issues do not exist at other carriers, and by the same token other carriers have significant issues that Panther does not. They key to all of this is not to try and force the carrier to mold themselves into what you want them to be, because you'll lost that battle, but rather to find a carrier that already does things to your liking.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
They don't care. They make no attempt to track driver performance beyond about 2 months, and as such make no effort to differentiate between good and bad drivers. All drivers are treated to the lowest common denominator, a.k.a., the bad driver who is likely to screw up.

If you're just now coming to that realization, welcome to outside the bubble. Straight truck teams are royalty to an expedite carrier. Always have been.

I can't recall ever sitting down to dinner with 2 teams and then having 3 of them get loads of any kind. I'm in a van and I have sat in places like Laredo for days and then watched straight trucks, both solo and teams, get loaded out with a single skid after having delivered their load mere hours before.

Which box is that? The box where a carrier is not required in any shape or form to bargain in good faith with independent contractors? The box that allows carriers to choose whichever independent contractors they feel like, and if you tell them you won't haul freight unless they change how they do business, they'll tell you that's fine with them? That box? The one where if you go on strike all the carrier has to do is never call you again for a load? They aren't required to, you know. The contract you signed states very plainly that they make no guarantees that they will ever offer you a load.

Driver Council Minutes have quite a nifty little history of "action items" that are not addressed in any way unless they benefit the carrier with direct, immediate results.

Many of those issues do not exist at other carriers, and by the same token other carriers have significant issues that Panther does not. They key to all of this is not to try and force the carrier to mold themselves into what you want them to be, because you'll lost that battle, but rather to find a carrier that already does things to your liking.

Actually there is a clause in the contract that says they will supply you with loads. Since I don't have mine in front of me at the moment, I'll not quote it. Perhaps tomorrow.
There is a problem with the pecking order.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just wait until they do away with board positions. I believe that is coming sooner, rather than later. The ones that are focused on them will have difficulty. The ones that don't, won't.
As I have said here before, it is a waste of time to worry about board positions and all that first out nonsense.
Go to where the freight is and you won't have to worry.
As for the strike business, won't work. They would just dump the uncovered loads into their broker system.
Got to get a grip on how this business works.

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Just wait until they do away with board positions. I beleive that is coming sooner, rather than later. The ones that are focused on them will have difficulty. The ones that don't, won't.
As I have said here before, it is a waste of time to worry about board positions and all that first out nonsense.
Go to where the freight is and you won't have to worry.
As for the strike business, won't work. They would just dump the uncovered loads into their broker system.
Got to get a grip on how this business works.

I don't even bother with any of that stuff anymore, except when they are parked right next to me. I think your right about all that going away when the "new system" comes out supposedly in 4th qtr.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Let's see, 10 load bars, 10 pads, pallet jack, dock plate, 100% on time, acceptance and safety. Dock high straight try. Been as far south in Manhatten as you go. Been as remote as you can get. Dh & em is 40% of total miles. I think I give quite well. If you don't think it is becoming a team world at panther, time to get out of the bubble. When was the last time you sat down to dinner with a couple of teams, been #1 on a board for days, and during dinner all 3 teams get loads under 600 miles. I assure you, that is not the only incident. For those who think "strike" is employee based, why don't you think outside the box. There are various tools available to us all to accomplish different tasks for the betterment of many.

Well it seems that you give Panther almost what they are looking for..sorry for the assumption that you didnt have the above listed items(most dont)..all it seems you need to do now is..get a co-driver and get rid of the Hino and you will be rolling in the money!!..That must be what it is..the Hino's are the death of a lot of expediters!! Sorry..couldnt resist..also..when people start making complaints about not making money..I seem to forget that others are not in tractors such as myself, which is a differnt class of loads in itself..so for tractors I stand behind my statements..for all other units..I have no insite on them.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Well it seems that you give Panther almost what they are looking for..sorry for the assumption that you didnt have the above listed items(most dont)..all it seems you need to do now is..get a co-driver and get rid of the Hino and you will be rolling in the money!!..That must be what it is..the Hino's are the death of a lot of expediters!! Sorry..couldnt resist..also..when people start making complaints about not making money..I seem to forget that others are not in tractors such as myself, which is a differnt class of loads in itself..so for tractors I stand behind my statements..for all other units..I have no insite on them.

Thanks Easy for the Hino bashing, I am used to it. I've cursed at her a few times myself. Now that the fix for the injector problem is installed, she seems to be running like a top. Never had a break down in her, sure have pulled some freight off of the freightliners broke down tho. Not gonna do teams tho. Ran teams on big trucks in the 90's for a spell. I like my rest. Gotta sleep with both eyes closed to get a full charge these days. Can't have 1 eye up front anymore. Lol Oh yea, forgot, 16 straps included in the inventory.