What the heck?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got a goofy today. I was on E.O., I also had yahoo mail and an APU web site open. Some how, during that time, I find that I cannot long onto google. I try to do so AND I get a page that says "Welcom to NGINX" What is going on? I ran 'windows defender' found nothing. Now running a virus scan.

Anyone else run into this? Anyone have any idea where this came from and how do I get rid of it.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Whenever anything whacky happens on my laptop ... I go for the OS button

Can't repeat what OS stands for on here LOL :p

Technically it means switch off and on again LOL

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whenever anything whacky happens on my laptop ... I go for the OS button

Can't repeat what OS stands for on here LOL :p

Technically it means switch off and on again LOL

Done that. Nothing. Still there. NO viruses found. Nothing found by windows defender.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
My old one did this when I was running trend micro anti virus. Got a new laptop now running norton and symantec don't have any problems.

Is it only when you search google? Are you running IE or Firefox?

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I just googled Nginx pronounced like engine x and results show it is a Russia based proxy web server.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a browser hijack.

It might be entries in the Host file that's redirecting IP addresses. Edit out the bad resolutions in the Host file using Notepad. The Hosts file is located in
/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc

First thing to do, however, is to go to Tools / Internet Options / Delete Browsing History (in Firefox it's Tools / Clear Recent History, and then check Browsing and download History, and the Cache boxes).

Also read here (How to Remove Welcome to Nginx Redirection | Anvisoft).