What state has the nicest welcome center?

Falligator

Expert Expediter
In your opinion, what state has the nicest welcome center and why? What or which states have the worst and why? So far, I have been in every state in the country except for 7 of them. Those are, North Dakota, Alaska, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon and Washington. Out of the ones that I have seen Texas has the nicest on I-10 you can walk the boardwalk through the swamp and the other nice one is off of I-40 the welcome center east of Amarillo, Texas. The worst ones that I have seen so far is Arkansas with their metal toilets. Kinda disgusting.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Arizona and New Mexico have some nice ones with good picture opps. Florida's are good for the free OJ. And there is a real nice one on I80 in Ohio that has free showers if you bring your own towel.
I really hate the ones in Virginia because they are always closed when you need it the most. That closed sign is real disappointing when you've been waiting an hour to get there.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't remember the welcome center going into Alaska. All I remember is being treated to mile after mile of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life!! Driving out of Alaska was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I truly did not want to leave.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My vote goes to the two new rest areas in Wisconsin; I-90, EB and WB at MM 113. I have only stopped at the WB facility since it opened. Both look to be identical though. The building is beautiful with prairie style architecture, a nod to Frank Lloyd Wright.

The interior, with it's tall ceiling, high placed windows, sandstone walls and wavy glass sculpture seems more likely to be found in a fine restaurant or hotel rather than a rest area.

When it comes to rest areas (built with my tax dollars) I'm somewhat utilitarian. A spacious, well lit parking area, clean restrooms and toilet paper is all I require. Free state road maps are a nice perk. Tax money would be better spent maintaining and repairing road surfaces.

Rest area 11 - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
The WB welcome center on I40 in OK is nice and informative. They have posters on a lot of Indian tribes and where they are located. Jerry Lee