What sprinter is better 2005 or 2008

William Williamson

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am new to the sprinters and need to know which years have the least mechanical problems
I am looking at
2005 2500 170" with 145k miles it's a commercial interior with jump seat no electronics
2008 2500 170" with 134, k miles an electric interior with two seats (4,500.00 more)

The More details The better and will be taking more seriously than one liners

Thanks for any help

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Generally the pre '07s are more reliable, they're certainly less complex. I'd stay away from that 05 though they were mainly used by DHL and other city delivery couriers. The 08 has a dpf which is a whole new ball game of potential problems

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd go with the 05....much better MPG and no partical filters to deal with...(05's are pre DEF's)

Editted to suppliment Scotts post.....try to know the vans history...

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd go with the 05....much better MPG and no partical filters to deal with...(05's are pre DEF's)

Editted to suppliment Scotts post.....try to know the vans history...
Actually the 08 has no def on it. The def was not introduced until 2010. The dpf was introduced in 2007 and the def was introduced in 2010 with the dpf.

William Williamson

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok then that makes sense about maintenance (and it's yellow color so sure it's a DHL use ) the only reason I was looking at that unit was thinking less electronics less problems
and not sure about def, dpf
But it seems to me that I want a pre 2007
Especially spence it's a two hour drive to closest dealer

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In the evolution of Sprinters, the 08 is the Missing Link. It was the first year for that "let's try this and see if it works!" engine. The best way to describe the 08 Sprinter is a two word phrase that begins with "f'ed" and ends with "up."

If the 08 is $4500, then sure. If it's $4500 MORE? Not a chance.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"These are not the droids you're looking for."

"These are not the droids we're looking for. Wait. I'm looking for Sprinters."

"These are not the ones."

"Seems like these are not the ones."

"Keep looking."

"I'll keep looking."

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just food for thought since None of the sprinter Boys asked ....?
Have you checked with the Carrier you are leasing the sprinter to ...? How old of a sprinter will they sign ...? If running for an Unbranded company if it starts its good to go .... appearance means squat .... heck buy a rusted old pickup and throw a topper on it and run it till you go broke ....
If you are seriously looking at this business .... Don't go Cheap .... you will be working at McDonalds in 6 months .... ;)

William Williamson

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks but I am adding
I've got some bigger w5500 with duramax and have had a few NPR
I have had them since 87 and know them well average 400k plus out of each

I been in business to long to jump in the deep end with out seeing under the surface

It seems like under 2007 is best bet

So now the question is

Should I buy an 06 with duals or keep to 4 wheels
I want fuel efficiency more than weight capacity
But a loss of less than 3 mile to gallon not a big deal but over that it wouldn't be worth it

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks but I am adding
I've got some bigger w5500 with duramax and have had a few NPR
I have had them since 87 and know them well average 400k plus out of each

I been in business to long to jump in the deep end with out seeing under the surface

It seems like under 2007 is best bet

So now the question is

Should I buy an 06 with duals or keep to 4 wheels
I want fuel efficiency more than weight capacity
But a loss of less than 3 mile to gallon not a big deal but over that it wouldn't be worth it
Stick with the single axle, the duels can't fit a skid in between the wheel wells

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's only 46 inches between the wheel wells on a dually, so, no 48" skids for you!

That's why you don't see a lot of 03-07 dually Sprinters in expediting.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
2006 was the last of the 5 cyl motors and the best of them because all of the bugs was worked out. Anything after 2007 is junk. If you can't get a 2006. Go buy a transit.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They are far from junk and get much better than the 12 or 13 mph some who want to bash them get. Do they have their problems absolutely almost all due to the EPA mandates of today's diesel engines. There is work arounds and you need to treat them right. The sprinter is still the most spacious comfortable production Van built today. Now if they just made a gasser!

William Williamson

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what is the real MPG on these
And besides change the oil on a regular basis
What other things should I do to insure 500,000 miles
And who has the best thought on tires that last the longest

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
So what is the real MPG on these
And besides change the oil on a regular basis
What other things should I do to insure 500,000 miles
And who has the best thought on tires that last the longest
Look in my signature for the average MPG on my 2004 Sprinter since I started tracking it on fuelly.com in Feb 2015. 760,000 miles with no major problems yet.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk