what size truck?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well people, I have been at this since last May. I have learned alot but not enough yet, that is, if you can ever learn enough. First thing I learned, this is a riot!! Most fun I have ever had. Second, I can earn a good solid living. Won't get rich but it beats the tar out of retail. Third, I can live with my wife full time. All cool things,BUT, the biggy, what is the best size truck to buy when the time comes? I run a "D" reefer unit, WG etc. Most of my loads would fit on a "C" unit. Ideas? Am I missing something? It seem like in my short time in this a "C" reefer would be the way to go? I need input. What is everyone's ideas on this?

Thanks in advance, layoutshooter

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you go with a Class 7 Reefer C unit you will not need a tag axle. I would also go with the C ,however it might be easier to sell a D Reefer then a truck with a relatively small box.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks, more to consider. There are so many things to learn. I had not even thought about re-sale. This is a ever changing industry, it will be fun trying to keep up with it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Layout,

If you have been at this since May and have learned you can live full time with your wife, you have probably learned much more than you are giving yourself credit for.

To decide between C and D (or CR and DR), consider your priorities. If income is a top priority, the D truck is the right choice, simply because D trucks can haul both C and D loads. That's why few if any fleet owners run C-units. D-units are the money-makers.

C-unit drivers sometimes configure their trucks differently to obtain one or more of the following benefits (as they perceive the benefits to be).

Short wheelbase makes for easier city driving.

Lighter and smaller loads invlove less labor.

Smaller body or reefer body makes room for a bigger sleeper and more creature comforts.

Can operate with two axles and thereby save money on taxes, tolls, tires, maintenance, etc. (even truck washes).

Those are just off the top of my head. Perhaps others can state additional C-unit advantages.

Trying for the best of both worlds? Look at some of the trucks out there that have 96" sleepers and a 22-foot D-unit body (reefer or dry box).

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are running a DR unit now. Just wondering out loud I guess. Seems like we run ALOT of small/light loads. I most likely will go with a D when we do buy but that will be a while yet. Need to get more money together and a bit more experience under our belts. We plan on going to MATS and see what is out there and maybe attend some seminars etc. Can never get enough input. Layoutshooter

G

This is something else to consider. Even though you may have many loads that appear to be C unit loads, the customer may have ordered a 20' box, even though it only took up 10' of your truck. This issue varies from carrier to carrier, but I have seen many load offers on the QC that say 20' straight truck and list the weight as 8,000 to 10,000 lbs, but when I go pick it up it's 2 or 3 skids and weighs 4,000 lbs. When I ask dispatch about this they say the customer ordered a 20' straight truck and needed 10,000 lbs of capacity. A true C unit would not have gotten these loads.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks to all, I can see I have a lot to think about. I guess I will most likely go with the "D" unit when the time comes to buy. Then I have to decide reefer or non-reefer. One thing for sure, we like the big sleeper. Might not directly make money but it allows us to *hide* from each other when needed. LOL. It helps us stay out for longer streches. See you all at MATS!! (unless I get a good load I can't turn down.) Layoutshooter