Cargo Van What pallet loading system do you use/recommend?

Sprinter3500

New Recruit
Carrier Management
I am seeking some equipment to make loading pallets into My Mercedes Sprinter easier. I see systems have some kind of roller track/mechanism that allows the pallet placed at the back to be pushed towards the front, allowing for another pallet to be placed there.

My van is a dually with a 14 foot long cargo bay. I will have to put the rolling track on a bed built above the wheel wells since with a dually the distance between wheel wells is only about 38 inches, too narrow to put a pallet. The height loss is ok with me as it is dense objects I transport.

I got one quote so far, but its around $5000! It is a powered system, has bells/whistles that I can do without. A simple system where I have to do everything manually is ok.

I see this system on youtube, at gVdiBwucErs it is a simple system, not power assisted, but no details given of who makes it, picture below is a screenshot of that video
I tried to post a screenshot but I guess I haven't figured out how to.
The video is youtube but I am not to post links, it is at gVdiBwucErs
Any help appreciated.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a PowerDeck brand, that has been trouble free. Try the search function for more info people have posted. One setup I have seen used two roller sections to push the load around. There are shops that can modify your fender wells for pallet clearance, lower center of gravity, etc.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How much does any of this equipment weigh? Is it really worth decreasing the total weight you can haul on any given load?

Bill, how heavy is your powerdeck?

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am seeking some equipment to make loading pallets into My Mercedes Sprinter easier. I see systems have some kind of roller track/mechanism that allows the pallet placed at the back to be pushed towards the front, allowing for another pallet to be placed there.

My van is a dually with a 14 foot long cargo bay. I will have to put the rolling track on a bed built above the wheel wells since with a dually the distance between wheel wells is only about 38 inches, too narrow to put a pallet. The height loss is ok with me as it is dense objects I transport.

I got one quote so far, but its around $5000! It is a powered system, has bells/whistles that I can do without. A simple system where I have to do everything manually is ok.

I see this system on youtube, at gVdiBwucErs it is a simple system, not power assisted, but no details given of who makes it, picture below is a screenshot of that video
I tried to post a screenshot but I guess I haven't figured out how to.
The video is youtube but I am not to post links, it is at gVdiBwucErs
Any help appreciated.
I use a supplied fork lift on both ends and a tow strap if needed. Total cost about 20 bucks and very little maintenance.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Most of your loads will end up being 1 or 2 skids. A chain works best to get number 2 skid. Also you can carry a long strap with hooks for that one odd shaped.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How much does any of this equipment weigh? Is it really worth decreasing the total weight you can haul on any given load?

Bill, how heavy is your powerdeck?

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app
We bought the van used and the powerdeck was already installed. So I really don't know what it weighs. Our experience is limited to this van only. Having control of the load once it's on the tail is real nice.

Reactions: ntimevan

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you have 16 " tires you won't be able to rework wheel well's
give me a call I 'll explain how to make it work
drove for ceva, for over 13 year's and use the roller's they worked great

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use a supplied fork lift on both ends and a tow strap if needed. Total cost about 20 bucks and very little maintenance.
I stole my tow strap off my brother's flat bed, so... even cheaper. :D

It's a standard strap with a flat hook on the end. It's frayed in the middle so he really couldn't use it to secure freight, anyway.

The only maintenance involved is once or twice a year I'll rubber-band a washcloth over the metal hook and throw it in the washing machine to remove the grease that gets transferred from the forklift rack. I just let it it dry.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the idea of the powerdeck but didn't want the weight or the reduction in available load height. A nicely finished plywood floor means the skids slide or push in easy and I have a 30 foot tow strap to completely surround the front skid (I put the strap in with the first skid) and just use the receivers forklift to pull the skids backwards. Having the strap go around the front of the skid means it always pulls straight. I have 2 straps, one 2 inch wide for most pulls and a 6 inch wide for non skidded cargo or if something is really heavy and the bigger strap makes the forklift guy feel safer.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 20' tow strap and 12' of grade 70 transport chain. For years I carried pallet tongs but they were heavy and didn't work well on some pallets, especially pos pallets. I have plastic flooring. If the first pallet in is less than 500 lbs. I can push it with my legs while braced against my bed. Any thing heavier, I do the Piper thing and run the tow strap around the first pallet as it gets loaded.

Personally I don't see a need for a built-in, mechanized pallet loading/unloading system in expedite. I could not justify the cost or the weight.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Type loads that I have carried, few are on the pallets. On a few occasions, I do get the pallets and the strap does come in handy.

Once in awhile, I also get a load on the pallet that is so heavy and using the strap will only rip the pallet apart. This is where the long tongue forklift comes in.

I guess time will tell on what type of loads you will be picking up. By that time you should have an idea what equipment will serve you best.

Majority of my loads are big container that are made of plastic, wood, rubber or metal. They each weight from 200-600 lbs.

I prefer to manually move them. This way I can avoid taking the calcium supplements. Lol.........