what oil and filter

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am new to having a gas promaster. I will be due for an oil change soon. what oil is everyone running in these vans. any filter you feel is best. how about oil additives, anyone using one. I like chevron gas and plan to use chevron techron additive in the fuel every 3k miles
I had the diesel promaster. i used baldwin filters for air and oil. i bought those at ww grainger for a great price. i used the pennzoil euro l oil. i used opti lube fuel additives. i had only transmission issues and averaged 24.2 mpg over 200k miles.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The factory fill on Promasters is Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 full synthetic. There's really no reason to change that, since that oil was designed for that engine. If you want to use another brand, just make sure it meets Chrysler's MS spec and you should be OK. It's not like the old days where you could play around with oils and reason out what should and should not work. Today's engines require oils tightly toleranced. The engine uses oil to control the valve timing, lubricate the chain, cool the pistons, and particularly important, the oil pump is variable displacement, so it's very sensitive to oil weight and viscosity.

Oil additives are not recommended, because whatever you add will instantly take the oil out of the MS specs.
Chrysler MS-6395 is what you want.

Buy Top Tier gas, of which Chevon is near the top of that list (OK, so the list is alphabetical). Chevron gas already has Techron in it, so adding the concentrate every 3000 miles isn't necessary. If you don't regularly buy Top Tier gasoline, then a shot of Techron Concentrate every 3000 miles might be worth it, as the PEA contained in the Techron does work to clean up the engine. The Concentrate was more effective back in the 80s when gasoline was much dirtier, but now that Top Tier gasoline brands all include essentially the same PEA-type detergents, an additional additive really isn't necessary on a regular basis. Maybe one bottle a year or so, couldn't hurt.

It's worth a Google to find out which brands are Top Tier, and maybe more importantly, which common brands are not (Speedway, not Top Tier).

Reactions: greasytshirt

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
thanks for the reply Turtle.
I have noticed there seems to be 3 recurring problems with these gas powered promasters. a leaking radiator, cracked flex plate, and rocker arm/cam shaft problems. Im due for my 1st oil change very soon. I plan to do as many of my own oil changes as time allows. I was asking in case somebody found a particular brand that seem to help with the rocker/cam shaft issue or maybe an additive that offered additional protection. I am not an idler, nor am i a speed racer type. I dont know if some of these guys having problems are either. I plan to use baldwin filters from ww grainger as i did on the diesel promaster. price seems in line with other brands and i had no issues using that on the last van. The idea behind using the techron additive is because of the traveling nature of our business some gas brands are questionable. I am losing at least 6 mpg or probably more over what the diesel got; therefore i need anyway to maximize my mpg i can that is cost effective.
one question i do have about oil. when you enter the vehicle type on the oil manufactures web sites; they recommend 0W 20 oil not the 5W 20 that is in the factory manual. is there a big differance in the 2 weights? and why would their recommendation not match the factory?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
and i had no issues using that on the last van
That's a risky and dangerous way to think. What worked for even last year's van may or may not work for this year's van. Diesel and gas are entirely different animals, as well. Baldwin filters may be perfectly fine, but if it was me I'd stick with the Mopar OEM filters (until I could find out who the OEM supplier is), or Purolator, or Mobile 1. I'd be buying them like 10 at a time off eBay or someplace.

The idea behind using the techron additive is because of the traveling nature of our business some gas brands are questionable.
That's why it's a good idea to Google the Top Tier brands and write them down. That way you'll know. I'd also note the brands that aren't Top Tier, and carry some Techron with me for use when I had to fill up with a brand that's not. But with rare exceptions, everywhere we travel you can find Top Tier brands.

when you enter the vehicle type on the oil manufactures web sites; they recommend 0W 20 oil not the 5W 20 that is in the factory manual. is there a big differance in the 2 weights?
I'd go with oil that is certified as MS-6395. Period. If it says MS-6395 on the 0W-20 bottle, then it should be fine. I know that Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 is MS-6395, though.

and why would their recommendation not match the factory?
Lots of charts and websites where the cross-references don't match up. If the oil meets or exceeds MS-6395, it'll say so on the bottle.

One of the worst mistakes people make with these new engines is having some kind of brand loyalty to a particular brand of oil. You can love a brand like crazy, but the brand ain't gonna love you back. The only loyalty worth having in a oil is the one that meets the specs. With my Sprinter, the initial fill (and the only brand explicitly mentioned in the Technical Service Manual) is Mobile 1 0W-40. So that's the oil I use. If I had a Promaster, I wouldn't look at anything past the Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. No reason to. Especially since you can get it in 5 quart jugs at Walmart for like $25 a jug. Easy peasy and it totally matches the manufacturer preference.

Whenever you get a new vehicle, if you can find out what the initial fills are at the factory, those are the fluids you will generally want to use. The exception might be windshield washer fluid, but even then I'd check it out. But certainly engine oil, transmission fluid, rear end oil, engine coolant, etc. Often with Chrysler the initial fill might be a Mopar brand, but then you need to research who made it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Interesting that I can't find PFJ gasoline on the top tier list
The way Top Tier works is, it's a licensed specification for the gasoline provided to retailers by the terminals. Each brand can have their own detergent package from the same terminal. For example, the same terminal can provide Chevron with its Techron detergent package and BP with their detergent package, even though they are different package formulations. But both meet the specs for Top Tier licensing.

Flying J branded gas is generally not going to be Top Tier. They don't produce it at their refinery terminals in Bakersfield or Salt Lake City. Some PFJs sell Conoco branded gas, which is Top Tier. But because not all PFJ locations sell Top Tier gas, they cannot claim Top Tier certification as a PFJ brand.

The current list of Top Tier brands can be found here:
Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

I see that Marathon and Sunoco has recently been added to the list (within the last year), so I have edited my comment above to reflect that fact.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, do you think PFJ gas could be contributing to my recurring"downstream O2" codes?
Are you also getting a low voltage warning? Bill G's O2 code was the result of a bad connection on one of the coil pack boots. I also was getting an O2 code. I bought a spare boot a few weeks ago to have on hand for when one failed. Thought about it one night and bought 5 more. For $45 I have all new boots and installed them this past week. I only broke one little blue clip on a coil pack! I haven't driven my van since installing the new boots, other than a short test drive. I should find out this week if that was the problem.

Reactions: Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for Flying Pilot gas, I probably fill with it about 65% of the time, mostly for convenience and shower credits. The remaining 35% is Top Tier fills. I like Kwik Trips but have noticed, at least in Iowa, they now sell an E-15. Gotta watch the pumps carefully. I have a Costco membership, but don't buy gas there often when on the road. I find most Costco locations somewhat inconvenient as are their hours.

Reactions: Turtle

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I get a recurring P0131 code. It comes, I reset, a few weeks later, rinse & repeat. a year ago I had it and it wouldn't' go away. Dealer replaced CAT, problem solved. I use 90% PFJ fuel, 87 octane or higher where (out west) 87 is not available. Never E15.. Maybe I'll look into Detergent additive. And, yes I carry a spare coil pack and plug but all mine, including wires & clips, are new.:surfer:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I forgot you are all new under the hood. Maybe you could get it checked out under the new engine warranty and then go from there.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Read "My Promastet 3500 Repair" by Ntimevan

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
Yep ... 3 Promasters ... over 590,000 actual miles total on the 3 ...
1 ... yes 1 internal engine repair (noted on EO) ... No Radiator problems ... No transmission problems ... No front end problem ... 2014's brakes did squeal between 40,000 to 50,000 miles then Quit ..
I talk to & Listen to Quality Certified Chrysler mechanics .. i don't research nothing about Maintenance or Mechanical Promaster information on the Internet ... i havn't SEEN a pair of Greasy Hands on a Computer yet ...
I trust Human reaction not a Stupid Computer screen ... just my 2 cents on topic ..

... still pond hopping

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I talk to & Listen to Quality Certified Chrysler mechanics .. i don't research nothing about Maintenance or Mechanical Promaster information on the Internet ... i havn't SEEN a pair of Greasy Hands on a Computer yet ...
I trust Human reaction not a Stupid Computer screen ... just my 2 cents on topic ..
That's fine, of course. But you may want to keep in mind that, for years, the same Quality Certified Chrysler mechanics were replacing entire transmissions due to a fouled circuit board that could be cleaned in two seconds, and they were replacing engine heads and even entire engines due to injector seal failure, because their Quality Certified training never thought of just cleaning out the ejector hole instead. And, they were replacing transmissions, drive shafts and rear ends until a pair of greasy hands on a computer showed they could just drill a few small holes in a metal plate to solve the problem. These are but a few of the many examples of maintenance and manufacturing procedures that have been changed due to greasy hands on a computer.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's fine, of course. But you may want to keep in mind that, for years, the same Quality Certified Chrysler mechanics were replacing entire transmissions due to a fouled circuit board that could be cleaned in two seconds, and they were replacing engine heads and even entire engines due to injector seal failure, because their Quality Certified training never thought of just cleaning out the ejector hole instead. And, they were replacing transmissions, drive shafts and rear ends until a pair of greasy hands on a computer showed they could just drill a few small holes in a metal plate to solve the problem. These are but a few of the many examples of maintenance and manufacturing procedures that have been changed due to greasy hands on a computer.
To Keep on Topic ... Thread starter ask for information from other Promaster Owners or Promaster drivers or others with Promaster experience on their Oil and Oil Filter choices and gas purchases .. since their previous PM was a Diesel ..... since you drive a Sprinter and follow Mercedes and Freightliner and Wayne in Toledo for repair and maintenance ... your experience in Sprinter repairs would be Helpful in a Sprinter thread ...
Any EO member can cut & Paste internet Chrysler maintenance and post it ... But thread starter was asking for Hands-on experience from PM Owners / Drivers ...
Hope this clarifies my earlier post . ..

... still pond hopping

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
To Keep on Topic ... Thread starter ask for information from other Promaster Owners or Promaster drivers or others with Promaster experience on their Oil and Oil Filter choices and gas purchases .. since their previous PM was a Diesel ..... since you drive a Sprinter and follow Mercedes and Freightliner and Wayne in Toledo for repair and maintenance ... your experience in Sprinter repairs would be Helpful in a Sprinter thread ...
Any EO member can cut & Paste internet Chrysler maintenance and post it ... But thread starter was asking for Hands-on experience from PM Owners / Drivers ...
Hope this clarifies my earlier post . ..

... still pond hopping
Oops! My turn. Gonna pop some corn and watch you now.
5990.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
To Keep on Topic ... Thread starter ask for information from other Promaster Owners or Promaster drivers or others with Promaster experience on their Oil and Oil Filter choices and gas purchases
Please don't try and rewrite the history of the thread within the thread itself. It doesn't look good. He asked for information on what people are running in Promasters without limiting who those answers could come from.

since you drive a Sprinter and follow Mercedes and Freightliner and Wayne in Toledo for repair and maintenance ... your experience in Sprinter repairs would be Helpful in a Sprinter thread ...
First of all, I have offered no advice on repairs, other than it might not be wise to limit your sources of information. Second, there are many things regarding the new European designed engine philosophies and technologies that apply across all makes and models that employ those philosophies and technologies, of which the Promasters fit that category. My advice is limited to that context.
But thread starter was asking for Hands-on experience from PM Owners / Drivers ...
You can keep repeating that, but it won't make it true. You can also dismiss my advice as having been I pulled out of my ass and that I'm an idiot who has no idea what I'm talking about.