what kind of Class 8 truck should I Buy?

willhaul

Active Expediter
Hi,

I intend to buy a Class 8 truck for pulling a 38-40ft trailer, gross of trailer 20,000lbs. Looking at 2006/2007 Volvo Mid-Roof 630. They look like nice trucks but hear negative things about Volvo engines. Need info. on make of truck/specs that would give me best mileage and least cost of maintenance and repairs.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If youre going to put alot of miles on it I would look at a used Maverick truck. This will be a mid-roof freightliner. They're spec'd for fuel economy and can be bought at a very reasonable price. They'll be all over the truck paper, or Truckpaper.com. Or if you get to Little Rock, Ar you can possibly buy direct from Maverick. The only downside is they are burgundy.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Willhaul, can you provide more specific information on how this truck will be used? The gross weight of your trailer indicates a single axle tractor would be sufficient. Do you need a sleeper? Single or team operation? Is there much down time between loads? How many miles a year will you run? Is your trailer an open top or van?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Awhile back, Pam Transportation had Volvo 630 or 670 with Cummins. They had about 425,000 miles on them and were selling for $22,000. They were at Pam's HQ in Tonitown(sp?) Ar.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
what can you afford ? I've seen mavricks trucks, if I were to buy a used truck I would look into theirs-they appear to be maintained well, not abused

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think Moot has the key here, until those questions are answered, it is like looking for a fish to eat at a pet store.

willhaul

Active Expediter
trailers we haul are rv trailers south to north 2000 miles and pull1 ton dodge back south 25000 miles per year down time week or more betwen loads need sleeper air ride cab, sup ,seats $35,000 will work for us.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I suggested the Maverick truck because looking at Volvo 630 suggested the need for a sleeper. Although he Can use a single axle I would recommend the tandem. This gives him flexabiiity and it'll be easier to sell when the time comes. A comparable day cab will probably more expensive due to supply and demand. I THINK the Maverick trucks may be tag axles. With his present lite loads the operating differances would be minor compared to the earlier mentioned advantages .

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So you using a wedge trailer with say 25k capacity?

Any truck will work, I would look around at Ryder, even if you want a sleeper. Single axle are all around the place.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, but i don't see how a 12,000 loaded mil. a year can make for a good ROI, on a 35,000$ truck.
& @ 25,000 mil a year, fuel consumption is hardly an issue.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For what you are pulling and the low miles why not go with a single axle class 7?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
look for a penske or ryder single axle with a sleepr.youre not hauling enough weight to need a tandem axle truck,and the fuel mileage will be much better.Im driving a 2011 volvo with cummins,truck in shop,driving 2007 volvo with volvo engine not much different except my truck has 1 more hp

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im driving a 2011 volvo with cummins,truck in shop,driving 2007 volvo with volvo engine not much different except my truck has 1 more hp

One other difference is that the Volvo with the Cummins is in the shop and you are on the road with the Volvo with the Volvo. Sorry, I couldn't resist pointing out that glaring difference.

willhaul

Active Expediter
Wife and I need a sleeper large enough for two, air ride suspension,air ride cab/seats.
Single axle would be the best but harder to find.If we end up with a tandem we could remove front tandem.
In two years or less we will retire and use this truck to pull 36ft/38ft 5th wheel RV. It would be nice to get a truck that is specd.
for this.
Detroit/Cummins/Volvo/Cat that is the order of preference for me am I right.
Wife would like computer shift transmission never drove one do they work well and which one is the best?
With light load as we will have what ratio should the differential be? 3:3/3:5. If we find a well maintained truck with 500/600 T miles can we expect to get 750/850 T without any major rebuilds?

06easyrider

Active Expediter
I just sold my 01 Pete. It was a former Werner truck I purchased from their Springfield Ohio yard. It had a Cat in it and a super 10 tranny. I put around 1.5 million miles on it. Personally, I would stay away from Volvos. They have a history of electrical problems and getting parts is expensive. Detroits & Cats are the easiest to fix and get parts for. My buddy with a cummins just had to put a turbo on: $2500. I put one on my cat for $1500. You can get used freightliners or internationals with 300-400k miles for around 30k all day. Stick with the popular American brands. If you look for used US Express trucks, they are autos. They will be red freightliners - easy to spot. Also, you can probably get a good deal on them since most truckers hate autos.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah , Don't buy a foreign truck( made in VIRGINA) buy a freightliner built in Mexico or an International built in Canada .