What kind of cash needed?

macmov

Seasoned Expediter
I posted last week "wht to do". I explained my situation as I have been what I call "Gypsy Driving" for ten years. I now have a new dodge duelly with a 40' cargo trailer, business is not great anymore and to cover all legallities needed I just don't think I could make it. I want to trade the Dodge in and buy a straight truck with a sleeper and start expediting. How much do I need to come up with here, I need to know if this really seems within my means.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If you can get out of the p/u truck without taking a bath then drive for an owner for six months first. This will help you decide if this will be a money maker for you. Most here will tell you that a cash reserve of a three months or so is best. You would be starting at what is normally the slow period of the year so keep that in mind. Some will say that your income in the first quarter will be 50% of what it normally is. Not a good time to start out as an owner with no expereancein this industry.

macmov

Seasoned Expediter
well that makes sence, I can probably servive with what I am doing for the the time being until I learn more about expediting. I made myself a promise that I will finally make a move as a new years resolution, however I need to keep my head about it and not lose money with the transfer. I am just trying to find out what I need to do. I was hoping some dealer would take my duelly as a trade for a straight truck. Since I have the DOdge no intrest loan I was able to pay down my truck a bit and should not take a hit to bad with the trade in. My concern is though I don't know if many truck dealers regularly take picks as trade ins and I'm not real good about selling out right. Thanks for the thoughts